Author Topic: Freespace Open Trailer  (Read 49754 times)

Re: Freespace Open Trailer
I know I've essentially exiled myself from this community because of my past displays of quite staggering idiocy (things I now deeply regret), but I felt like signing in and posting because it seems like some people just don't 'get' this video. Complaining that it's not an accurate recreation of any particular mission is pointless, because it's obviously (to me anyway) not meant to be. It's a fantastic intro to the world of FreeSpace because it's basically a condensed version of the entire FS saga: Shivans show up and unleash copious amounts of rape, all hope seems lost, then the GTVA returns with a whole new generation of ships and weapons, they meet with great initial success, but then the tide turns again (represented by the Hecate going down) and they survive only due to extreme sacrifices (corvette ramming a Lucifer while audio from the Colossus plays). The video ends with a shot of a Shivan ship warping out, indicating the threat is still out there and the story unfinished.

As for the lack of Vasudans, yeah, some Vasudan ships thrown in here and there would have been nice, but let's just be honest here: while important from a story-telling perspective (it is called the gtVa after all) in the actual games the Vasudans were mostly restricted to the sidelines. Humans did most of the fighting and showed up in the most missions, and it was of course glorious human super-man Alpha 1 who ultimately saves the day in both games. They may give lots of lip-service to the wars being won (well...survived anyway) due to an alliance, but it was always the humans who we see doing most of the fighting and dying.

The only real criticisms I have for the video itself are that it would have been nice if the doomed pilot was flying the same ship he was in the FS1 intro, there's a rather clumsy edit at about 2:34, and, like Spidey- himself said, the frame-rate could be better (though it's still pretty damn good and it's not terribly noticeable for the most part).

That's all, now I'll go back to never posting because I'm a nonce who can't play nice.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Actually you aren't an idiot and your criticisms were often pretty valid it's just that your standards were stratospherically high and therefore intensely frustrating.  :blah: You would probably be fine if you wanted to keep on posting, just be aware that the creators are very close to the audience here and thus you, personally, have a really big impact on their morale.

And yeah I agree with your post

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
No offence, but I have to say that this whole paragraph about the Vasudans is a whole lot of non-sense though. Why do you think we don't see as many Vasudans as Terrans, for you ? Maybe it's because you're a Terran pilot, in a Terran squadron, based on a Terran carrier, involved in Terran fleet engagements ? And remember that fluff-wise, the Vasudans nearly held the whole GTVA by themselves during the reconstruction, are the one who initiated the Colossus project, and that at least they have a REAL new-gen destroyer class. They are just miles ahead of the Terrans from most viewpoints.

Sorry, but this is not specifically pointed at you noodlezombie, this is something I needed to say. This Zod hateness that is going around here is very disappointing, to say the least, and has been going on for too long.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Thing about Terrans vs. Zods for me at least is that the Vasudans have some awesome-looking ships. Let's face it, the Hatshepsut, and to a lesser degree the Aten look better than their Terran counterparts. In a video focused on how epic FS looks, showing off those models is important. The symbolism is crap; it's about what looks good.

My only real opinion on the Vasudans is that I hate almost every one of their fighters (how they fly I mean, not how they look. I dread Vasudan missions generally). And since this is a game where you spend all your time flying fighters...

And yeah, you are flying as a Terran and so most of your missions will be Terran heavy, but in both FS games it seems like every significant mission is flown by Alpha 1 and his fellow humans, maybe occasionally with a token wing of Vasudans along for the ride. Oh, sure the briefings will go on and on about other battles and such, but in the end all that stuff really just seems like it's in support of the missions Alpha 1 flies. Another victim of gameplay vs storytelling.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd hardly call the destruction of the first Sathanas insignificant. :p

Sure Alpha 1 was there but everyone else on your wing was Vasudan.

As for why the Vasudans aren't in the trailer. It would have been a distraction to hear Vasudan voices there. The trailer is partially aimed at newbies and a humans vs aliens trailer doesn't give away that the Vasudans quickly become allies.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
My only real opinion on the Vasudans is that I hate almost every one of their fighters (how they fly I mean, not how they look. I dread Vasudan missions generally). And since this is a game where you spend all your time flying fighters...

Oh cmon I'm sure they're armored with several entire layers of paper :P

As for why the Vasudans aren't in the trailer. It would have been a distraction to hear Vasudan voices there. The trailer is partially aimed at newbies and a humans vs aliens trailer doesn't give away that the Vasudans quickly become allies.

You make a good point, but I think the potential for epic overshadows any possible spoiling (the cease-fire happens a few missions into FS1, it's not exactly a secret). Just seeing the Hattie (or Typhon once it's HTL'd) there would be quite impressive, and maybe on Orion as well... for all the bickering that's done about the Orion, its design is much better than the Hecate's in the first place.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I know I've essentially exiled myself from this community because of my past displays of quite staggering idiocy (things I now deeply regret)
Don't worry noodle, I still think you are an idiot.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Spidey, I'm afriad I'll have to steal your talent  :drevil:

To do that, I'm guessing how you did it.

I think you FREDded it to make up the visuals, and perhaps used moviemaker (or a similar program) to add the sounds? That'll serve as a good strategy to make those kinds of cutscenes, right?

I tried making a cutscene with sounds like that, but I think it would be really hard trying to time the "play sound from file" SEXPs perfectly, so I think moviemaker will be an easier way to settle it.

EDIT:

EDIT: I do think it's an already classic intro cutscene, especially because it looks exactly like the ships ingame. Whether you add the zods or not, add an Orion or not, it still is a perfectly made video.

Although on the extreme, perhaps this isn't particularly aimed to be for advertisment purposes. I mean, think that you're a newbie; you see a super-awesome spacebattle;

"wow, look! There's a frantic pilot trying to make it to a huge space station! Oh no! Some alien mothership comes out of a big hole! Oh good, the humans are here, and they fight them off...well, they don't exactly win, but it's an awesome battle indeed!"

Maybe, yes, because of its awesome effects and all, people who don't know the game will be entertained and, perhaps even willing to get the game itself, but ultimately they will need to read the actual story. I mean, as someone who's ignorant of the FreeSpace saga and its dramatic FSO megamod, you'll probably see it as "yeah, a really nice-looking spacebattle, just like in Star Wars movies...", so it might well rank alongside space battles in movies themselves (e.g. Battle of Endor to an extent), but the people who'll really be amazed at this are the older guys, those who've played FS through and through, those who've downloaded the latest MEDIAVPS, since it, undoubtedly, looks more awesome than awesome, it's classic, dramatic and all. It's perfect!!! - for a FreeSpace ingame battle.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:56:45 pm by Marcov »
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Kolgena

Good Pretty ****ing amazing. But slap some light post-processing on it for more win. I know it's not part of the stock MVPs, but it'd be nice to show off an engine capability.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
That's ****ing awesome :yes:
You know there was this stickied thread to make a FSO pimpage video for years but nothing came ever from that.
And now you drop this gem which shows off a LOT of the work that went in to FSO and the mediaVPs over the last years in less than 4 minutes, for that I salute you.  ...*goes off spamming youtube link everywhere*
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I remember that thread. I was just starting to look into it when I promptly abandoned the web for RL reasons... that or I'm a lazy ass.

The amount of time and patience that goes into this kind of work is also very commendable.

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
.......  viewed it on some netbook without sound on 360p.... but it still look damn good :s
i guess i'll have to check it on my desktop pc when a re-frapsed version with some wtfbbq comp will get released!

Now, i know what i can link to people that don't know about SCP. I used to show them the Helios video, and sometimes something from Diaspora or Wings.

EDIT: oh and, yes, add all the post-proc you can, it's just sooo shiny ! :(

I can't say much except that I was completely blown away by how great and professional that looked! I hate to use the word because it's been seriously overused, but I can say without any reservations that your trailer was truly EPIC.

The best part was thinking to myself: "You know, they made an HTL Apollo, that probably would have worked better if you were trying to re-create the original cuscene. Annnd, there goes the station, yep. Wonder what he's going to show nex- HOLY CARP WHAT'S THOSE SHIPS JUMPING IN?????" And then sitting in stunned silence until the end.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
To be honest, I really like the way the cutscene ran its course. I certainly didn't expect the Terrans to send in a fleet to protect the Arcadia. To be honest, I didn't even think about the absence of the Vasudans until right after the cutscene ended.

That, and the ancient spelling and spacing error at the end aside, I thought it was a great trailer.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That'll do nicely! Good work.

Can we let this sticky die now? http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=36921.0
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
done

Add the HTL Hathesput when it's done. It's a sexy beast  :P
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Add the HTL Hathesput when it's done. It's a sexy beast  :P

this is the second time you've said this and I don't think you understand that the HTL Hatshepsut is done and in the 3.6.12 MVPs and we're all playing with it

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Isn't there a small texture bug with the light maps? Oh and it's missing glowpoints IIRC :D
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."