Author Topic: Freespace Open Trailer  (Read 49759 times)

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Re: Freespace Open Trailer
Just saw this, and it was awesome, hands down.

All I'm going to suggest is that you make another video, exactly the same, but without the  MVPs, for contrast.
Then, for even more awesome, make another one with the vanilla video up to about where the terran fleet jumps in, then cut to the MVP video to really smack people in the gob.

Offline Kolgena

Isn't there a small texture bug with the light maps? Oh and it's missing glowpoints IIRC :D

Glow maps are fixed as of the latest patch. I don't know anything about glowpoints though.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

The only one thing that I saw missing was a representation of the Beam Piercing effect.

Otherwise...absolutely. Awesome. with a side of Awesome.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:46:22 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Isn't there a small texture bug with the light maps? Oh and it's missing glowpoints IIRC :D
Not for long, I've been meaning to go and add glow-points to the Hatshepsut, as well as other Vasudan ships. I have already done the Satis, though.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Solatar

I didn't notice the lack of Vasudans because I couldn't see through the SHEER FREAKING AWESOME.

I honestly did NOT expect to see the huge Terran fleet jump in.  I was watching the FS1 intro for all I knew, and then BAM!, **** gets real.  I was delighted.

Little late to the party, but I just got around to seeing this. I feel like any criticism I could offer would invariably be of the "what I would have done" kind, which is completely useless. Damn good job. :yes:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I feel like any criticism I could offer would invariably be of the "what I would have done" kind, which is completely useless.

Really? You can always put it across in a very civil manner. No one will murder you for stating your opinions.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Epic win.

P.S.: Should I worry if I can remember exactly where every single voice comes from?
Forum: 134th Barracudas
PXO: Rael

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
No, unless you go out and when people ask you something you reply with any of those lines.
el hombre vicio...

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Fantastic work.

The only problem I have with it, again a mistake pretty much everyone does, is using jerked off music that everyone and their mother used in their AMV's and trailers for just about everything else. Cheapens the entire experience once you can connect a piece of music to everything. Makes it derivative.

Other than that, the camera work is superb, the audio insofar as the voiceovers go and their meshing is fantastic and on point, and the actual action that's transpiring is simple and stellar, delivers a clear message.

Superb.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt wonders what BlackDove has to say about Sara's Helios.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The only problem I have with it, again a mistake pretty much everyone does, is using jerked off music that everyone and their mother used in their AMV's and trailers for just about everything else. Cheapens the entire experience once you can connect a piece of music to everything. Makes it derivative.

I don't give a f*** who used the music on what before. Music is excellent, trailer is excellent.

Everything else is irrelevant.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I don't give a f*** who used the music on what before. Music is excellent, trailer is excellent.

Everything else is irrelevant.

No I'm sorry he is totally correct, if this music used that ****ing Requiem for a Tower business I would vomit x 125215

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Requiem for a Tower is a good and the de facto usual example/symptom of this problem.

Not that I don't understand that it's difficult to find fitting music that is also good, and hasn't been whored out by everyone else.

When you make your thing, you want it to be grand and epic and you go in with the best intentions at heart, as you liked the popular music piece, but the problem is so did everyone else and they beat you to the punch so many times, that the (experienced) general consciousness is reeling from the shock.

Anyway, this shouldn't really diminish all that much from the video.

I thought pretty much everything else in the video was fantastic. The vision for creating it and the editing in particular (camera shots) stand out. We've seen this stuff time and time before, but when we see it, it's usually in the bigger budget films where people get paid well to do it, and while it may be an overused effect to dramatize large scale space violence, it doesn't change the fact that it fits more or less perfectly with Freespace (as a distillation of the general experience).

It's very nice. I enjoyed it. Especially the thematic throwback to the FS1 intro, but changed so that it's got an ebb and flow of futile resistance from the Terran side, essentially being a chronicle for the entire Freespace series.

Funnily enough, Vasudans aren't present, which is somewhat of a humorous state of affairs, on several levels, for several reasons.

Offline Kolgena

If we're to introduce Vasudans, I'd say make a second trailer. This one's good as is, and it might be confusing to people when they hear snippets of translated Vasudan speech in the epic radio chatter near the end. They also might not recognize that the Vasudan ships aren't actually Terran.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
No, no, I wasn't suggesting revisions.

I just found it humorous.

You can draw some interesting... parallels.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
 :jaw:

That has to be the best handling of fighter combat in a cutscene that I've ever seen.  Props to you, sir.

Amazing. It was absolutely amazing. I clicked the link, expecting an ok presentation, as I've seen other people do for their freespace trailers, but this one blew me away! It was captivating, energetic, and truly encompassed the gravity of the game.

Something I have never seen anyone do ingame was the multiple voices of the fight, all talking at once. Such a thing as taking turns to talk is unrealistic, but this brought it to life, and rose it all to a grander scale than I thought the video would go to.

But I am left wondering why there was a Lilith/Cain cruiser warping out at the end. What purpose does it serve? I guess that is one mystery the Shivans may never reveal.

With all this in mind: Fantastic work. I am still feeling the epicness of it even now.
Creator of Black Sun Corporation, the leading manufacturer of modern warfare.

Offline Spidey-

The only one thing that I saw missing was a representation of the Beam Piercing effect.
It makes a cameo when the Lucifer takes out the Triton

btw, first post updated with release

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Anyways, I look forward to seeing everyone's own version. I guess this cutscene is now in beta

Test Pass One.

Tube needs to process the video, which may take some time until it shows the 1080 version (says about 30min). But that's the link it will be on.

There's a bunch of **** wrong with it, not to mention the quick and dirty Xvid encoding I did, but it was 2am when I started, and now after I've uploaded a 2gig video to youtube, and converted the file, it's 2:45, so fixing **** (doing the whole thing over again properly with filters) will have to come tomorrow.

Some stuff on your end - the credits at the end cut out on 1080 for some reason, I assume it's an aspect ratio problem, you may want to fix that in the mission or wherever, or give me a modified file.

Some other things like the Hecate cutting off also has a negative impact on the flow of the whole thing (doesn't stick around long enough for us to see it actually explode - at least I couldn't get it to when I ran it) - actually that may be fine - whatever. Also the fighter beams firing as the lilith/cain jumps out at the end, sounds in the background. That's just weird.

There are a couple of problems on my end. It will happen once or twice that the capture process will stutter, yet it won't be reproduced a second time (meaning, running it a second or third time will have the parts that stuttered not be affected at all - I reckon it's the writing to disk, partitioning the file). This I reckon is fixable by just doing it over and over again until it's all smooth, so that's not much of an issue.

Anyway, it's a quick and dirty first try.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:30:35 pm by BlackDove »

Dude ! Thats the Best Video i have ever seen!  Keep going! Nice work =D
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)