Author Topic: Release: 3.7.0 Final  (Read 120704 times)

Don't kill me if this is covered somewhere else please, are you guys planning a 3.7 installer as well?
Yes.

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
So after a long time I pop in and here it is: 3.7.0 .  DAMN!  It just amazes me the sheer dedication you guys have towards this game.  This was released in 1999 I think?  And it's Q3 2013.  Wow, just WOW!  But hey, even though I don't play it as often, I share the love for this game as much as the rest :)  And I hope you continue on supporting this game for as long as possible.  :D

Wonder if there are other games that have been supported longer than this one?

Goober5000, I admire your dedication towards Mi(r0$h@f+ Winblows 98, but also find it creepy.  It was a decent OS for its time, but it reminds me of a person who hasn't showered in YEARS!  If only there was a way for you to implement an OS-independent version of SDL or something.  Well, to each his own I guess.  But to be honest I'd rather you spend the time supporting current hardware, or at least make missions.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline Lorric

The pilot files have a once-off conversion process which should transfer campaign progress.  It doesn't alter the 3.6.18 files which is why they look fine when you go back to 3.6.18.  However, the conversion only works for a single campaign, only for the active mod, and if there are any issues with the 3.6.18 pilot, or if there's a bug in the conversion process then progress will be lost.

So, for your "blank" 3.7.0 pilots, try deleting the .plr & .csg files in data/players.  Then, activate the mod that you want to keep the campaign progress for and run 3.7.0.  If the pilots are still missing campaign progress after doing that, post them here.

I am ready to try this now, however, the new pilot code, what was it supposed to do? Having jumped from 3.6.12 to 3.7.0, I'm really out of it when it comes to knowing what has changed.

Is the new pilot code supposed to make it so you can play every campaign on a single pilot?

Also, is it possible to copy the old files, so if the fix doesn't work, the files haven't been lost?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You should be able to play multiple campaigns using the new pilot, and switch between incomplete campaigns without causing problems. 
Multi pilots are not separate to single player pilots anymore.
The rest of the changes are less visible, mostly about removing limits to make future changes easier/possible.

The conversion process doesn't alter or delete the 3.6.18 (& earlier) pilot files (data/players/single/inferno).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

You should be able to play multiple campaigns using the new pilot, and switch between incomplete campaigns without causing problems. 
Multi pilots are not separate to single player pilots anymore.
The rest of the changes are less visible, mostly about removing limits to make future changes easier/possible.

The conversion process doesn't alter or delete the 3.6.18 (& earlier) pilot files (data/players/single/inferno).

Thanks niffiwan! :)

I'll make sure to test this out tomorrow...

I was worried you might not be able to play campaigns on earlier builds after this, like that Sync campaign where it seems you need to go back to 3.6.12 to play it properly, but it sounds like it's okay.

Offline Lorric

All is well. All is very well indeed! :nod:

My first pilot I tried to test had no such files to delete. So I tested it on 3.7.0 and it worked just fine. So I found a pilot that did have such files to delete. It didn't work with them, but it works without them, and it works on an earlier build as well.

I now also have a new "master pilot" file. The new pilot code is wonderful. Tested it out beating a couple of missions (Wings of Dawn and Operation Templar) two different campaigns for two different mods, and it works perfectly. It's wonderful! :)

I've only been around about 18 months, and I have too many pilots to fit on the pilot screen so some have to be stored away. What must it be like for those of you who have been here for many years and I presume have had to create a new pilot for each and every new campaign?

So I'm very happy with my new master pilot. I hope to one day have all my campaigns on that file. My sincerest gratitude to all responsible for this. :cool:

I will run through the process of deletion and testing all my pilots later. If there are any problems I'll come back, if not, then that means they're all working. Thanks a lot niffiwan! :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've only been around about 18 months, and I have too many pilots to fit on the pilot screen so some have to be stored away. What must it be like for those of you who have been here for many years and I presume have had to create a new pilot for each and every new campaign?
I don't really have to knock on wood anymore when I say this, but oddly enough I never experienced any issues with playing multiple campaigns/mods on a single pilot file; I only created a few clones for big mods like the Port or BP.  I think the main source of corruption was when the user would switch campaigns before finishing their current one, and I guess I generally didn't do that, so I somehow lucked out.  It's nice to know that the possibility to lose your file is finally gone, though.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's worth noting that there are still a few loose ends with stats in the new pilot code.  Niffiwan and I are tracking them down.

Offline Lorric

I don't really have to knock on wood anymore when I say this, but oddly enough I never experienced any issues with playing multiple campaigns/mods on a single pilot file; I only created a few clones for big mods like the Port or BP.  I think the main source of corruption was when the user would switch campaigns before finishing their current one, and I guess I generally didn't do that, so I somehow lucked out.  It's nice to know that the possibility to lose your file is finally gone, though.

I thought it was impossible!

I would have still done it the way I did though I'm sure. Especially since I do flit between campaigns.

It's worth noting that there are still a few loose ends with stats in the new pilot code.  Niffiwan and I are tracking them down.

Go get 'em! :D

:hammer:

Hey guys,  thanks for the 3.7 release, but I  (and many other linux users ) cannot run an i386 build as we are unable to install the dependencies (liblua5.1:i386 and several others).

Can you please release a 64bit build (or let me have a link to the source so I can build it myself (although I'd rather the binary :).

Thanks,

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Guide to FSO on Linux

Providing binaries that work in most situations has been difficult for this project, so we are providing 32bit Ubuntu built binaries mostly as an assurance that it does work on Linux, but recommend most users compile their own.  There are other projects that have provided packages versions of the binaries for some of the distributions, maybe someone will speak up with how to get those.  When checking out the source, if you want 3.7.0, be sure to check out its tag url https://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/tags/fs2_open_3_7_0/ instead of trunk.  Or you can use the source tarball provided in the release instead of touching SVN at all.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You can also check my sig for some more prebuilt Linux binaries.  I don't have all the major distros built (for various reasons) but it might help.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Thanks for this, cool of you all.

Image host
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:39:47 am by technopredator »

Offline Lorric

Hi.

It seems unfortunately the early success I had may have been an exception to the rule. I have tested 3 more pilots, and all of them failed even after deleting .plr and .csg files.

I will attach these failed pilots here for you to look at, as I continue testing the rest of my pilots. They are for Freespace 1, Blue Planet Aquarius and Derelict.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Yarn

I believe the appropriate mod needs to be activated for a pilot to convert properly. For example, to properly convert an FSPort pilot, the FSPort mod needs to be activated.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Lorric

I believe the appropriate mod needs to be activated for a pilot to convert properly. For example, to properly convert an FSPort pilot, the FSPort mod needs to be activated.
If you mean selecting the mod through the launcher, I have been doing so.

The testing continues. It's a mixed bag, 9 failures, 7 successes.

Offline Lorric

No more luck for me unfortunately. The testing is complete, 15 failures, 7 successes.

I'll upload the failures (including the 3 in the other upload) and the successes as well in another folder, in case they might be of some use.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
well, that's a pain.  Could you please create a mantis ticket & attach the pilots there?  There's less chance of me forgetting to look at this that way.
----
----

Offline Lorric

well, that's a pain.  Could you please create a mantis ticket & attach the pilots there?  There's less chance of me forgetting to look at this that way.
Ummm... this is new. How do I do this exactly? :)

EDIT: And do you want both sets of pilots or just the ones that don't work?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Just the ones that don't work thanks.  If they're from a non-well-known mod, a link to the mods download page would be super helpful.
----
----