Author Topic: C&C95 Freeware!  (Read 5771 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
In "celebration" of the 12th Anniversary of the release of C&C95, EA has graciously decided to release it to the public free of charge.

Now all you damn kids who missed out on playing it can get a load of classic strategy gaming at its finest. ;)

Edit: You're a champ, CP.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:31:28 am by Mefustae »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I moved it over.

This is a must-have if you haven't played it already. Even the intro cutscene is a classic. I like the commercial with the guy drinking what looks like motor oil. :D

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
****in' A.  The original C&C was awesome, and i'm glad that EA's decided to do this.

Now, time to go blow **** up with my Commandos again :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Odd, getting a 404 here :(

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The server is apparently being hammered and the downloads are pretty slow, but it should be mirrored on other sites by now.

I still think this was the best C&C game, especially in terms of the story and the singleplayer mission design. The campaigns were actually somewhat nonlinear, with different map choices for several missions and some cases where the objectives and cutscenes were different as well.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Is it up on FileFront yet?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I got it at Fileshack eventually :)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Since this is apparently the version they shipped with The First Decade, it'll probably need the LAN patch to get it working online.

Offline Roanoke

was it C&C95 that had the GDI Texas-Ranger-Style Commando ("I got a little present for ya!") ?

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
No, Tiberian Dawn did not have a Texas Ranger style commando.  It had a badass Vietnam War Sergeant style commando ("I got a present for ya!") :p.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
It had a badass Vietnam War Sergeant style commando ("I got a present for ya!") :p.
Gaze upon him in his 12-pixel glory!

Note the stylish red hair, indicative of how badass he is.

Offline Cyker

It's a pity they didn't port the DOS installer for the Windows version - That was a work of art alone ;)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yay! Finally chance to play the original C&C in english. **** you, german cencorship.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Yay! Finally chance to play the original C&C in english. **** you, german cencorship.

Enjoy it.

Although RA still my favourite of the series, mainly because I grew up with it.  Yeah, sure, it was basically the first C&C but with a different coat of paint, but goddamn it, the alternate WW2 was engrossing.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I basically grew up with that too and actually got C&C a year after RA. I spent far more time with RA due to its skirmish mode and integrated multiplayer as well as the fact that it was much more moddable (still have my old TC for it), but I liked C&C better when I played it for the first time. Many RA mods in the old days actually replaced a lot of the stuff with the C&C equivalents.

Does this release come with the Covert Operations expansion, by the way? It was essentially just a map pack, but some of the standalone missions were quite interesting.

Offline Roanoke

Only ever played Tiberium Sun myself. Played RA a little but never really got into it. Might lookfor 'em on ebay.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
was it C&C95 that had the GDI Texas-Ranger-Style Commando ("I got a little present for ya!") ?
Yep.  Thats the one!

"Hahaha!  That one was LEFT handed!"
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Only ever played Tiberium Sun myself. Played RA a little but never really got into it. Might lookfor 'em on ebay.

Tiberium Sun was good.  Not great, but good.  The Titans were pretty cool though, and the updated Ion Cannon beam looked awesome.

TS isn't the worst C&C game of all time(That one goes to Sole Survivour, a game so bad it was omitted from The First Decade completely), but it does suffer from being a bit overserious.  Plus goddamn it Nod's chem missle was annoying.

Offline Roanoke

may as well look for cannon fodder while I'm at it. Seems I'm big on nostalga at the moment..... :doubt:

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Does it work on XP?