Author Topic: RELEASE: VeniceMirror, Act 1!  (Read 42605 times)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: VeniceMirror, Act 1!
For the love of god.

Read what you've written. Mission 3, mission 3, mission 3.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

I have 'failed' this mission and cannot proceed. Send help.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Spoon,  saying what did you do to fail would help.
From fredwise point of view, im pretty clueless what problems you guys are facing.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
OK, after replaying the mission, I know what went wrong. If you return to the Indigetes before the shuttle makes it, you fail the mission, even if you would have otherwise succeeded.

Oh, by the way, Murphy sends his regards.  :P
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoon,  saying what did you do to fail would help.
From fredwise point of view, im pretty clueless what problems you guys are facing.
I completed the mission without fail is all I did.

I'll have a look into your files in a bit, shouldn't be too hard to figure this one out.

OK, after replaying the mission, I know what went wrong. If you return to the Indigetes before the shuttle makes it, you fail the mission, even if you would have otherwise succeeded.

Oh, by the way, Murphy sends his regards.  :P
In my case, the shuttle made it way before I landed on the Indigetes.

Edit: So I'm looking at stuff and I'm super tired right now so take stuff I write right now with a grain of salt as I ramble on.
The BoardingNOOOPE mission objective has a redundant check in it. When you are checking if a ship has departed, you don't need the extra not is-destroyed-delay check. Because if the ship is destroyed before it can depart, freespace will automatically flag the has-departed-delay as false, since the ship is destroyed and can no longer depart.

And yeah, the shuttle has to dock (depart) before the goal becomes complete so you will fail if you enter the hangar bay before that.

The other reason why this mission result in a failure state despite the debriefing praising your efforts is that the BoardingNOPE checks if the RTB event is true, the RTB event is a distance check that immediately makes the mission end. So the goal doesn't have time to become true before the mission ends. Adding a simple extra event chained to the RTB with a 1 second delay and move the end-mission from RTB to the new event solves that.

Thankfully this mission was easy to check because it literally plays itself. No player input is required to achieve perfect victory. (You should definitely always check for these things for future fredding endeavors)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:11:00 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
THe thing is, the mission fails when the shuttle is blown. But links in the campaing editor didn't have any coresponding values, so you could still pass while having the shuttle blown. BoardingNO goal is just an answer for that - If it is destroyed before you have chance to depart, its false, or if you land after it have departed.

On the other notes, i added this goal in latest fix. You played your first tries without it.

Continuing on, the main goal checks for Indigetes arrival. It only arrives when all hostile forces are destroyed, so... im trying to track down whats going on here, but im unable to see the problem.
And balance... yea. I know, i messed up.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
THe thing is, the mission fails when the shuttle is blown. But links in the campaing editor didn't have any coresponding values, so you could still pass while having the shuttle blown. BoardingNO goal is just an answer for that - If it is destroyed before you have chance to depart, its false, or if you land after it have departed.

On the other notes, i added this goal in latest fix. You played your first tries without it.

Continuing on, the main goal checks for Indigetes arrival. It only arrives when all hostile forces are destroyed, so... im trying to track down whats going on here, but im unable to see the problem.
And balance... yea. I know, i messed up.
I have only ever played your campaign with your latest patch. So no, my first tries were not without it.
I don't know why you are still trying to track down whats going on, when I literally just told you what is happening and how you can fix it. I sort of happen to know a thing or two about fredding, you can take my word for it  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
reuploaded a fix on the first post again. If that doesn't answer the problem, then I am just a dump moron. Ban me from freding or someting, I just can't answer the problem here.

• This is fine.
The fix seems to have done its job. However, I forgot one other problem that I had found. In "Blinded Giants," there seems to be an event for the GTC Spaniard to jump out. If it does so, you cannot continue the mission, and you cannot jump out because of what happens later in the mission. I think you either need to fail the player immediately, or make it so the Spaniard can't jump out.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
One of these days, people will actually be able to play our campaign from start to finish. I promise. :D

For those of you who are waiting for VM to fix its unfortunate technical issues, and those of you lucky enough to actually finish, anything you'd like to compliment (or constructively criticize) about the campaign itself?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Overall I have enjoyed the campaign. It has been relatively simplistic in gameplay terms, but that is not a bad thing as that means good fun and sometimes easier immersion.

A few criticisms I have are the (these are in a spoiler):-
Spoiler:
1) The assault fighter you use. Whereas it is nice that you can sprint across the theatre that quickly with the burners, I felt that it did not handle that well, say compared to something like the Erinyes which is what I found myself going back too.
2) A couple more weapons and ships would be nice, but if you have something planned for Act II then ignore this!
3) The texturing of the Venice itself! I look at the Venice and to me it feels a little bit... cartoony (for lack of a better description) and when compared to the GTVA super destroyer (forgotten the name), it does not look as impressive as I presume the ship should be.
4) A couple of missions could do with some polish I felt. For instance, in the final mission it is basically impossible to protect the defender with the forces you have and the Ceres fighters take it out far too easily.
5) The Ceres are a bit too good and I found that once again the best fighter to take them down was a Erinyes loaded with Kayser Cannons.
6) The Judicator (beam weapon) I did not really like the feel of, especially for taking out beam cannons. I found myself using the Maxim cannon, more because of its range and power.
7) There was another mission where you take out a destroyer (again forgotten the name, but I believe it is the first destroyer that the Devestator takes out in the campaign) and in the first half of the mission, the only way you can stop the midgard cruiser (I think) being destroyed is to take out the beam cannons of the attacking corvette, which I think should be an objective rather than something just to work out.
8) There could be a small briefing in the missions where Daniel Vest is essentially the fleet commander rather than "There is no debriefing for this mission."

There are also a few spelling and grammar errors but these are relatively minor and is not something that bothers me too much!

Please don't be dis-heartened by the above. Overall, I really enjoyed this campaign and as a first effort, I look forward to you future stuff!  :yes:
I do not feel... I think!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
The fix seems to have done its job. However, I forgot one other problem that I had found. In "Blinded Giants," there seems to be an event for the GTC Spaniard to jump out. If it does so, you cannot continue the mission, and you cannot jump out because of what happens later in the mission. I think you either need to fail the player immediately, or make it so the Spaniard can't jump out.

fix reuploaded.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Bestow upon me hints on how to get through the battle for ross 128

If I lob trebs from a distance I apparantly run out of time, if I get close I die to fighters that are an immense pain to take down in the craft that you are given (they all turn like pigs) and AAA beams are the single worse thing in Freespace. And there are a lot of them.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Have you tried Judicator hit and run tactics? Phoenix is faster then any other GTVA craft, and Judicator is pretty good in taking down subsystems. You don't have debeam them all. Just take one turret out of each deimos, and LSR fleet should have an edge. SHOULD.

Icarus is your main problem tough.

• This is fine.
I recommend the SRF Pheonix with dogfight primary in the first bank, and Maxim in second bank. Secondaries don't matter. The rest of Bravo Wing should have default loadouts. Send Bravo wing to attack the Icarus. Since they are invincible, they shouldn't have any trouble overtaking it. Meanwhile, you should be focused on taking out other opponents. The GTC Spearcrow is a prime target, since it only has one beam. You should also take out two of the four beams on the other two corvettes on the right flank. The left flank manages itself. If it doesn't, order Bravo Wing to  blow up one of the corvettes. Easy peasy.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I have succeeded, by doing the judicator beam runs. The judicator need some kind of impact effect though! It's hard to see if it's hitting anything.

Also, Andrew you stupid ****:

Kindly stop shooting at important objectives.

I failed the mission because of this, but nothing actually happens when this objective gets failed.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Mission 12 is impossible, the bombers jump almost right ontop of the argus, even if you intercept all the bombs you simply cannot avoid it getting destroyed by gun fire. And when it gets destroyed it still plays messages (you can avoid this by having the message priority set to normal instead of the default high) and the primary objective gets completed regardless. But then immediately after a wing of ceres fighters jump right ontop of you. It's just not sanely possible to complete this mission.

Consider increasing the range the enemies jump in from by an additional 1000 range for this mission.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
But then immediately after a wing of ceres fighters jump right ontop of you.
The Ceres fighters are basically the bad end here, if you lose the Argus you're supposed to get killed by Victor wing.

I'll take a look at the bomber balance, though personally I didn't really have much trouble with that myself and I don't think the mission changed between the final tests and release.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

• This is fine.
Spoon, the AI is stupid. The only realistically possible way to win the mission is to go to the Argus slow enough for Jack to keep up, and then blast the bombers with his assistance.

Offline 5thAce

Very enjoyable campaign, can't wait for the next act. Before actually playing I went through the tech room to see any new ships, and after seeing the new GTVA ships I thought to myself "these rebels stand little to no chance" only to play the first mission and realize that I'm not a GTVA pilot  :jaw: (I didn't read any descriptions before hand so I had no idea what side I was on) but never before had I cheered on a Rebel group as much as the LSR.  Well done, any chance of anything act 2 related being released in 2015?