Author Topic: Physically-Based Rendering Builds  (Read 58794 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Re: Physically-Based Rendering Builds
I tested out this latest PBR build, and it looks fine. Though any issues on team glowmaps have yet to be reported, glowmaps are no longer being applied for no reason.

By the way, will this AO maps work well with heightmaps? I think so, but all we need right now is the height map support. Kobrar has written some custom shaders, so you may want to look into it before integrating it, along with new effects such as self shadowing in normal and height maps. It also makes the model gloss/reflectance more accurate and physically.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
A black and white AO map should work out of the box. I assume red, green, and blue channels are sharing the same values. So in that case, ambient and cavity, taken from the red and the green channels, will have apply the same amount of darkening on ambient, diffuse, and specular lighting.

well, actually, i am talking about about images with only a grey channel, not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing right now - if you handle those like you just described, than everything is fine
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Oh, I get what you're saying. I think if this texture only has one channel, OpenGL will just place that channel into the red while setting the rest of the channels to 1.0. So your map will only affect ambient occlusion and not cavity occlusion. So, yes, it'll still work out of the box just a bit more work is needed if you decide you want your map to affect diffuse and specular lighting and not just ambient lighting.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Will ambient lighting affect normal/parallax/displacement mapping? I've heard that recent game engines of this generation, such as CryEngine and Unreal Engine 4, support this.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Oh, I get what you're saying. I think if this texture only has one channel, OpenGL will just place that channel into the red while setting the rest of the channels to 1.0. So your map will only affect ambient occlusion and not cavity occlusion. So, yes, it'll still work out of the box just a bit more work is needed if you decide you want your map to affect diffuse and specular lighting and not just ambient lighting.
tested it, seems like it is so, which is a waste of memory actually, if you want to have both being the same, like i do

a suggestion: LODs 2 and 3 don't use specularity, thus they are more or less unlit models, it would make sense to use the unlit map for them, right now, they are totally black for a ship with high metal amount
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:55:06 am by fightermedic »
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I second it, fightermedic.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Here's the result of the ambient occlusion test of this PBR build. It's a recently released Raguel, with an AO and unlit maps applied.

However, I don't know how to create reflectance/gloss maps using GIMP, which is used as my primary image/texture manipulation program.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
That's because trying to make PBR reflectance and specular maps by hand is damn near impossible. Look into getting either substance painter or Quixel Suite.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
As someone who primarily uses Linux now, both Quixel Suite (which requires Photoshop) and Substance Painter are not natively available on my platform. In addition, both products cost more than I'm willing to pay for modding and content creation.

I'm not that good at modelling and texturing, either.

On the other hand, I've heard that AwesomeBump, and a special branch of Blender now support PBR.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

If modellers can't make good use of PBR without expensive proprietary software I think that's seriously at odds with FSO's ethos.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
As someone who primarily uses Linux now, both Quixel Suite (which requires Photoshop) and Substance Painter are not natively available on my platform. In addition, both products cost more than I'm willing to pay for modding and content creation.

I'm not that good at modelling and texturing, either.

On the other hand, I've heard that AwesomeBump, and a special branch of Blender now support PBR.

AwesomeBump sounds like it will suffice. As for the PBR viewport in Blender, Cycles itself is a PBR engine, it is capable of exporting PBR textures, it's just difficult to get them to look correctly in FSO due to the differences in calibration, that feature just allows the view-port to use PBR in real-time as well.

It is possible to make PBR textures using GIMP, you just have to know your way around the mask system very well. It also requires knowledge on the sRGB values of the material(metal, plastic, etc.) you want to use.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I tried using AwesomeBump, but... when I tried opening textures larger than 2048x2048, not only it hang, but also causes my AMD laptop display driver to stop working, only to be recovered instantly.

As I say, I prefer using GIMP for texture manipulation, for the time being. I intend to use it for creating PBR assets.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Hey, Swifty. I've got a problem here. It seems that the PBR build has encountered an access violation when turning on the ship thrusters in the Ship Lab while viewing the PBR-enabled ships such as my Raguel. Then, my AMD laptop display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and successfully recovered.

Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2.exe, version: 3.7.3.0, time stamp: 0x569afefa
Faulting module name: atioglxx.dll, version: 6.14.10.13417, time stamp: 0x567abfba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00e493e7
Faulting process id: 0x20a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d15cb0a78a3038
Faulting application path: C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\atioglxx.dll
Report Id: a3efb925-ff50-4173-8de0-f453ddf9b4b1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Checking with the debug build, this problem doesn't happen. I think it's due to the driver. Regardless of that, optimizations and preventive measures must be implemented.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, Mr "Visionary Coder", please tell us how we're supposed to prevent driver errors.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Updating the display drivers to the very latest version should solve that problem. Lacking that, filing a feedback is appropriate, given that Windows 10 has a feedback app that allows suggestions and problems be reported, and Microsoft takes these to improve it.

I am a Windows insider since November last year, and I'm not the only one. Looking into the "Display Drivers" subsection of the Hardware section, there are many people complaining about display drivers stopped working, even on Insider builds.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Updating the display drivers to the very latest version should solve that problem.
So... did updating your drivers fix the problem, or not?

Are... are you asking that FSO somehow update your drivers for you?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

you most make an update
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
AdmiralRalwood, are you referring to Swifty or me?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
He's referring to you.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Me. Generally, I agree that changing settings via the AMD Radeon settings could be a workaround, until at least it's fixed in newer builds.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template