Author Topic: Physically-Based Rendering Builds  (Read 58796 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Physically-Based Rendering Builds
...Updating your drivers isn't "changing settings", nor is it a "workaround". In fact, it should be the first thing you try when you get a driver crash.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Me. Generally, I agree that changing settings via the AMD Radeon settings could be a workaround, until at least it's fixed in newer builds.

Could you please answer the question that was posted? Noone asked anything about "changing settings" (which doesn't help in fixing driver crashes in my experience), you were asked whether or not updating drivers fixed the crash you experienced.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Me. Generally, I agree that changing settings via the AMD Radeon settings could be a workaround, until at least it's fixed in newer builds.

Could you please answer the question that was posted? Noone asked anything about "changing settings" (which doesn't help in fixing driver crashes in my experience), you were asked whether or not updating drivers fixed the crash you experienced.

Yes, along with updates to the operating system themselves. I did not experience crashes when no other applications running in hardware acceleration mode.

And, I've tested this PBR build. While it looks flawless, there's only one problem. The transparencies of HUD gauges (both LUA and non-LUA). They seem to be nearly opague (see attachment below).

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
New build. I didn't really change much other than increaseing the threshold for the brightpass and made specular maps render at all detail levels.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sa5kj9l84n81jzy/pbr_pbr_ed2bbc35_r2.zip

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Wow. Trying on it now.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Swifty

There's now an official pull request. https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/pull/536

Please continue submitting feedback if you have any.

Offline Axem

The transparencies of HUD gauges (both LUA and non-LUA). They seem to be nearly opague (see attachment below).

Yeah, this is still an issue. Hud gauges are now always full bright, which I guess isn't a bad thing by itself (certainly more visible) but it does cause this to happen to me with my scripted message gauge. The problem here is I draw 2 monochrome images on top of each other, a dark gray one and then a colored one on top so it stands out more and is easier to read. (Now it stands out a little too much.)

Also subtitles don't fade in or out. They just... appear!

Thinking about it a bit more, it seems all these graphics seem to have max alpha all the time, whether they should or not.

(Also the washout glare from the sun seems to have a wider effect. This one cutscene I had is washed out for a lot longer than I was anticipating)

Other than that, very pretty, very shiney. Much bloom. Such HDR. Wow.

Offline Swifty

Okay, I got a better idea of the HUD issue. It looks like the constant alpha defined in the passthrough shader wasn't being applied. I committed a fix to the branch.

I don't know what to do about the washout glare from the sun. I'm not sure if it's part of the brightpass for the bloom or not. Maybe the fixes to the passthrough shader may have fixed it but who knows.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I don't know what to do about the washout glare from the sun. I'm not sure if it's part of the brightpass for the bloom or not. Maybe the fixes to the passthrough shader may have fixed it but who knows.
Reduce a washout glare intensity into a narrower effect - this means the sun gets brighter and covers the screen in white when the sun is ONLY at the center of the screen. I think you should make changes to the lightshaft shader.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Axem

The latest fixes fixes the hud and the subtitle fades, but this still happens. :(

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Per Axem, I've been encountering more or less the same issues.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
There's now an official pull request. https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/pull/536

Please continue submitting feedback if you have any.

Is PBR going to be forced onto people? We've been working with the "traditional" lighting model for so long that it isn't practically feasible to create PBR assets or convert non-PBR assets to PBR for everything that's been released. :(
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Axem

You won't be forced, all the old texture types still work. I've been running some mods without any special PBR textures and it works fine (aside from a few image scripting problems that Swifty is working on). Even without PBR textures, you'll still get some amazing bloom effects to pretty up everything. :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You won't be forced, all the old texture types still work.
I'm pretty sure that at least half of all existing screenshots that have been taken of the PBR branch involve non-PBR assets, for that matter...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
The thing is, specular maps created for use with the old lighting model don't look very good in PBR builds.

No PBR:

PBR:
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Can you redo one of those with the same bloom settings as the other?  I think at least some differences I see there are directly bloom related.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It seems to me that the bloom scale has somewhat changed. Setting smaller values there is probably a good idea.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Swifty

I don't think it's the lighting model. It's likely the HDR and how we're now doing gamma correction. Try and see if the models look the same in a non-PBR build vs a PBR build with post processing turned off in the command line arguments.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
I don't think it's the lighting model. It's likely the HDR and how we're now doing gamma correction. Try and see if the models look the same in a non-PBR build vs a PBR build with post processing turned off in the command line arguments.

OK.

No post-processing, using a non-PBR build.
EDIT: I apparently had post-processing hidden when I took that previous screenshot with the non-PBR build. I've replaced the previous screenshot with a new one with post-processing turned on.

No post-processing, using a PBR build
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:16:27 pm by Talon 1024 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Aren't bloom and FXAA post-proc features?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays