Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to fix space backgrounds?  (Read 5613 times)

Offline emark4

[SOLVED] How to fix space backgrounds?
I just installed the Babylon project and the space background seems to be messed up. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Edit: using a bad version of FSO before fro TBP. The issue has been resolved.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:47:57 pm by emark4 »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: How to fix space backgrounds?
Sorry for the late reply ... but I honestly don't remember the proccedure who to debug with the old FSO builds (like the one TBP comes with)...

... anyway let's have a go at it:

1. Which executable are you using?

If it is the one that comes with the download 3.6.9 or 3.6.9_inf; If you are using anyother please give the version number. This will determine how we go foward.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline emark4

Re: How to fix space backgrounds?
Sorry for the late reply ... but I honestly don't remember the proccedure who to debug with the old FSO builds (like the one TBP comes with)...

... anyway let's have a go at it:

1. Which executable are you using?

If it is the one that comes with the download 3.6.9 or 3.6.9_inf; If you are using anyother please give the version number. This will determine how we go foward.

I was informed at discord that its the older build. Currently searching for a better version of TBP.

Although if you can send me a link to the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: [SOLVED] How to fix space backgrounds?
The problem was solved on Discord by using 3.7.0 and launcher 5.5g, instead of the included 5.5b.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq

[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You should probably be able to at least use wxLauncher if the Launcher 5.5g gives any more issues, it has been updated more recently than the old Windows-only launcher.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Someone on Discord, forget who, told him wxLauncher wouldn't work with 3.7.0, but I suspect, assuming this information is correct, that's only if you have the absolute latest wxLauncher, the 0.12 version. 0.10 probably would still work just fine. But considering the fact that I used wxLauncher 0.12 with a 3.7.4 build, I somehow doubt that's true. The Discord user with the helpful advice was probably mixing up wxLauncher with Knossos, the latter only working with 3.8 and above, as I recall.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
0.10 probably would still work just fine.
That may be, though I don't know for sure.
But considering the fact that I used wxLauncher 0.12 with a 3.7.4 build, I somehow doubt that's true. The Discord user with the helpful advice was probably mixing up wxLauncher with Knossos, the latter only working with 3.8 and above, as I recall.
wxLauncher 0.12.0 does not work with FSO 3.7.0, which is the version that Zathras officially supports.  It fails because FSO did not generate a flag file.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Odd, that doesn't seem to make much sense, as it should support all FSO builds released before it, I thought.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

How strange. There should be, so far as I know, no reason for wxLauncher 0.12 to not support 3.7.0. I would ask if the file is perhaps corrupt, save that you've said it works using Launcher 5.5g.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline wesp5

I think this whole thread shows once again that it is important to create a new TBP release with everything needed included so people have not to search around the net themselves. So how far is the 3.5 update? Wasn't there an issue with people waiting for Knossos? Is there really so much difference between the launchers to justify another delay?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What delay? SVN access simply needs you to ask for it if you haven't already! If you want to help, help!

And if anything this is exactly the kind of error that doesn't occur with Knossos.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:57:32 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

What delay? SVN access simply needs you to ask for it if you haven't already!

I have not much time on my hand due to Bloodlines, but please give that to me.

And if anything this is exactly the kind of error that doesn't occur with Knossos.

Yes, and I remember you were still waiting for a new Knossos release, no? So is this out now? How far is TBP 3.5?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was never waiting for Knossos to work on the next version of TBP. I simply said we'd use that for release if it was done (Which it has been for ages!). Knossos has never been the slightest delay for getting a release up, what is causing a bottleneck is that no one has any spare time to work on TBP.

EDIT: You have SVN access. Do you know how to get the game out of SVN?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:20:13 am by karajorma »

Offline wesp5

I simply said we'd use that for release if it was done (Which it has been for ages!).

Okay, so Knossos is currently the best launcher for any version of TBP? Where can we get it?

Knossos has never been the slightest delay for getting a release up, what is causing a bottleneck is that no one has any spare time to work on TBP.

The last time I played TBP everything worked fine with 3.7.0 and wxlauncher 0.10, what is causing the problems now? Many new issues with 3.8.0?

EDIT: You have SVN access. Do you know how to get the game out of SVN?

Not really, please explain!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay, so Knossos is currently the best launcher for any version of TBP? Where can we get it?

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94068.0

But I've not made much effort to make TBP work with Knossos yet as it has a different directory structure from standard FSO.

The last time I played TBP everything worked fine with 3.7.0 and wxlauncher 0.10, what is causing the problems now? Many new issues with 3.8.0?

It works, but if we're talking about a release it needs all the bugs to be fixed and to be extensively playtested.

Not really, please explain!

Here's the instructions for Mantis and SVN from Diaspora, simply replace any reference to Diaspora with TBP.

SVN

SVN has been provided by Rev Posix and Zacam so contact them if there are any problems. Since most of the team won't have used SVN before I'm going to explain in simple terms how SVN works and why it's much better for us than FTP.

What's SVN?

SVN works like an FTP site as a way of storing our files in a central online location. To use SVN you'll need a client in the same way you need one for FTP. To start with you initially checkout the folder you are after. This is much like simply grabbing the All_Assets folder from our FTP. The difference from FTP is that if someone adds, removes or edits files SVN can get them for you simply by telling it to update your folder.
 When you want to add a file yourself you commit it. This is similar to simply uploading in FTP but unlike FTP, SVN doesn't overwrite old files when new ones are uploaded. Instead it automatically backs up the old version and installs the new one in its place. The backups can be retrieved fairly easily should you ever need them.

SVN also features the aptly named Blame system. So from now on we'll know exactly who decided to upload a broken pof, etc. :p Fortunately it also makes it much easier to recover from that sort of nonsense so the complaining should be less.

How to check out the game

• The first thing you need is an SVN client. For Windows I strongly recommend TortoiseSVN. TortoiseSVN will require a restart after it installs.
     Anyone not using Windows is on their own from this point but if someone wants to write up a similar guide for Linux or Mac I'll add it. You should be able to plug in the information from this guide into a client for those platforms anyway.
  • You're going to need a password for SVN. Contact me for one.
  • Make a folder on whatever drive you want to install the game called Games after installing TortoiseSVN (and resetting) and right click on some empty space. Choose SVN Checkout from the right click menu.
  • For the URL enter http://tbp.penguinness.org:7701/svn/tbp/ - The Checkout Directory should be Games\TBP. Leave the other settings on default.
  • You'll be asked for the username and password you got earlier.
  • The game will be downloaded to your machine. This will take a while.

Updating your build with SVN

Now that you have the build updating is very easy. Simply right click on your Diaspora folder and click SVN Update. Any files that have been changed will be downloaded to your machine. If you have changed a a text file (say a table or mission) your changes will be merged in with the ones currently in SVN (this only affects your local copy. Not the one in SVN). If you have changed a binary file that someone else has changed and committed (or if you have both changed the same part of a text file) you will get a clash. This warns you what has happened, the rest of the update will continue but the folder will be marked with a exclamation mark to tell you that you have a clash. You should check what has changed and decide which version you need to keep. Once you have you can use the resolve option to tell TortoiseSVN what you decided.

Bear in mind that with SVN you don't always need to do a full update. You can update any folder or file in the same way.

Committing your changes

TortoiseSVN has a nice habit of marking any files you have changed since the last update in red. This allows you to easily see if you actually changed something or not before you decide to commit your changes. Until you know better, always update before you commit. This ensures that you haven't changed something that someone else has also worked on.

To commit your changes, simply select the file or folder in which you have changes and choose SVN Commit. You should enter a comment into the box to explain the changes you have made "Added weapons to Cylon Raider"  or "Fixed the Pegasus shine maps" for instance. You will also be allowed to examine any text files you are committing so you can see the changes you have made (If you have WinMerge you can configure TortoiseSVN to use that instead of its more limited diff program). Click okay and SVN will update the files.

Mantis

Mantis is a bug tracking system that we've pressed into service for keeping track of where tasks have been assigned. Despite the intimidating look of it, it's actually very simple to use.

Registering for Mantis

First thing you'll have to do is to register. This is pretty simple. Go here and fill in the fairly self explanatory form. Please register using the same name as you use on HLP as that makes it easier for us to know who you are. As with SVN the email address you give will probably receive a fair bit of email from Mantis. Make sure that you use an email address you check regularly but not one you mind getting quite a few mails to.

Since we share Mantis with every other project on HLP you'll need to added to the Diaspora project. Simply tell us that you need to be added and one of the Mantis admins will do that for you.

Using Mantis

Using Mantis consists of 2 basic tasks, reporting issues and resolving them once you're done. Since we're using Mantis for something it wasn't exactly designed for a couple of the terms seem a little strange but basically if you are given a task to model a ship you enter the task as an issue (Model ship x) and resolve the issue when you have finished.

The main reason for using Mantis in this way is that it makes it much easier to see what tasks are still needed or what tasks any particular person is working on. Simply clicking on My View will give you a list of tasks that have been assigned to you. In addition any team member can search to see if there are models we need for the next release that no one is working on, etc.

Reporting Issues

Clicking on the report issue option brings up the new report page. Simply select the Category of whatever you're working on (Mission, Model, Effect, etc). If something is urgent you can increase the priority.

The Summary is the title of the task so it will be something simple like "Texture the Galactica." The Description is a required field but shouldn't need more than a short sentence for most tasks. Additional Information can be left blank if you have nothing to add there. Required For Release is the release we need this task done by. View Status should be left as public.

Most of the other fields are related to bug tracking and can be left exactly as they are.

Once you have clicked on Submit Report you'll be taken back to the View Reports page. Click on your new report and then the Assign To [Myself] option.

Resolving Issues

Once you have finished a task select resolved from the dropdown next to Change Status To and click on it. You'll be given the option to add some notes now. You should add the names of anyone else who assisted with this task (it helps us with crediting work).

Offline wesp5

But I've not made much effort to make TBP work with Knossos yet as it has a different directory structure from standard FSO.

So TBP does not work with it at all or is it just incomplete? Also it might be better to use a dedicated wxlauncher or launcher 5.5g for TBP 3.5 as having a huge list of other mods will likely confuse new players! My idea behind 3.5 was to make this an easy thing for people not knowing about FSO. Anyone else can find the necessary files, patches and launchers themselves anyway :).

It works, but if we're talking about a release it needs all the bugs to be fixed and to be extensively playtested.

I probably already explained it, but I think if there are not any game breaking bugs you should go open beta as fast as possible and let players help with the project. There is no way for the two or three people I assume are working on this right now to playtest all available missions in a reasonable time! It's been over two years since you split the thread from mine and TBP just has not the kind of community left than other FSO projects do. This way works fine for my Bloodlines patch, I have a beta-tester who checks that there are no game-breaking issues, afterwards it's open beta because there is no way a few people can find all possible issues, which depend on playing style, clan and more in that game. 

Here's the instructions for Mantis and SVN from Diaspora, simply replace any reference to Diaspora with TBP.

And now I remember why I didn't do this the first time I got access ;). Again this is quite sophisticated for normal players like me! You have to register to several sites and set up clients just to play the game. You won't find many people wanting to do that for a standalone mod as old as TBP. Even The Dark Project is using the open beta model nowadays...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So TBP does not work with it at all or is it just incomplete?

It's a five minute fix, but it would then require me reuploading and everyone else redownloading the whole of TBP. So no point in doing it now.

I probably already explained it, but I think if there are not any game breaking bugs you should go open beta as fast as possible and let players help with the project. There is no way for the two or three people I assume are working on this right now to playtest all available missions in a reasonable time! It's been over two years since you split the thread from mine and TBP just has not the kind of community left than other FSO projects do. This way works fine for my Bloodlines patch, I have a beta-tester who checks that there are no game-breaking issues, afterwards it's open beta because there is no way a few people can find all possible issues, which depend on playing style, clan and more in that game. 

We are in open beta. Anyone who wants SVN access can have it.

And now I remember why I didn't do this the first time I got access ;). Again this is quite sophisticated for normal players like me! You have to register to several sites and set up clients just to play the game. You won't find many people wanting to do that for a standalone mod as old as TBP. Even The Dark Project is using the open beta model nowadays...

It's actually not that hard. It seems complicated but SVN is really easy to use. An open beta in Knossos is another way to go but I'd rather get some stuff tested first because unlike SVN, small changes can trigger massive downloads. If we're still in this state in a couple of months, it might be worth considering.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I guess I'm confused how a different directory structure would trigger a re-download.  I thought that using the svn move command would allow it to cause the client to rearrange existing files that are already downloaded, instead of deleting the local copies only to re-download them to another location.

Also, I was under the impression that Knossos is very good at doing incremental, small changes, and that it's the previous release systems used throughout the last decade that have had the burden of needing huge downloads.  I think it would depend on if you are using VP bundling via Knossos or not, but even with it, I thought it could actually do delta downloads, although I'm least sure about that last bit.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I don't think I've ever managed to get move to do anything other than a redownload but I haven't used it much.