Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version  (Read 214498 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version
Here's a low detailled screenshot. I know it sucks, I know it doesn't fully show the upgrade...but look...

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
As Blowfish said: If you want it, you find it. I can't tell much about it beyond 'dirty' there.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't get your point. It IS an upgrade to the original, I don't see why it shouldn't be included :wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Because we don't have it and aren't gonna go hunting for it? :p
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ok, let me say something...

Freespaceking made the textures public but they're no longer hosted on rapidshare. I think you should simply contact Woomeister and let him know about it ;)

EDIT: I sent a PM.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:40:15 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
under your nick says that you could do it yourself.

EDIT: Ask for the file(s), that is, and then provide a link. There are a lot of things that people in the FSUpgrade project much rather than going on a hunt for some file when someone says that this someone will have the file.

EDIT2: Crossposted the edit. Thanks for informing him, perhaps we'll get to do comparisions of the map soon. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:43:34 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
He has been informed. I don't tend to do things without informing the others. We'll see...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
And Colonol Deckker is...<drumroll> British! Nonexistent! :p
Fixed

And why is that Ursa all grainy?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Why is everything grainy?
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Just got carte blanche from Woomeister. Please DL the file ASAP, it won't remain here for long(I used the FSCRP FileFront account :wtf:)!

"Grainy"? It makes it look better. Dirty is sexy ;7

ULing in progress...please wait... :)

EDIT: The file is now on File Front! :D

http://files.filefront.com/GTB+Ursarar/;10132331;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:50:16 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Okay, in terms of detail, that is better than the current texture.

The worst thing I can say about it is that the top, the bottom and the sides look like they are from different ships. Top is relatively clean, sides are rather grimy (and grainy...), and the bottom is a bit cartoony in the way it depicts the seamlines.

It also needs a glass (and glass-shine) textures. That doesn't seem to be in the beta mvp's, strangely enough...?

Also, it needed a shinemap, which I made from the texture. Here's how it looks now in the ship lab:

The glowmap wasn't being used with the mediaVP Ursa, because it had "a" in the filename. Copying the glowmap into a 2048x1024 file and saving it without the "a" fixed that, but the use of glowmap can be questioned in this case because there are blinking glowpoints now where the glowmap was before, and the glowmap somewhat interferes with the glow points... That can be debated later though.

Also, making a normal map based on that is a total pain in the neck, there is so much little paneling... but I'm working on it. :drevil: On the plus side, the normal-mappable details are pretty well defined for the most parts, so the need for guesstimations is lesser than with some maps.

If my estimations are correct, a normal map would be highly beneficial to use with Freespaceking's new texture. But we'll see...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The texture names and eventually the glows were intended to work with INF, I should have expected something like that.

I see the grainy parts as an improvement, the other texture was too clean to look cool.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
The texture names and eventually the glows were intended to work with INF, I should have expected something like that.

Doesn't really matter, but if I may ask a question - why is INF using a model of Ursa that uses several textures (with a and b separating them) rather than the one that uses just one texture? Or is there some uglie that just needs the "a"-part of the Ursa texture...?

I see the grainy parts as an improvement, the other texture was too clean to look cool.

Matter of opinion mostly, and it isn't too bad - it's just that the different surfaces have different levels of dirt on them. Even so, the difference isn't too notable, which is the reason that I mentioned that this was pretty much the worst I could say about that texture.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uh-huh...maybe I've ULed the Geryon texture, too...they're pretty much the same :blah:

I particularly appreciate the fact that certain parts are considerably dirty while others are not: it boosts the effect and makes the difference between an upgrade and a simple "dirtification". Again, it may be a matter of opinions.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Hur hur... work in very much progress. Paneling of the top and sides (and partially the underside) is pretty much done, although I'll probably adjust the strength of the normal map in the end, it's a tad bit strong to my tastes at the moment - I might end up having to re-do the paneling in higher resolution, working in 8192x4096 instead of current 4096x2048. Haven't even begun on all the machinery and finer detail, not to mention any kind of general surface textures...

What do you think...? :nervous:

Diagonal lines in normal maps are a b...other to get rid of aliasing... No matter what, they seem to for jagged edges... the only solution I've noticed to work is to increase the normal map resolution, but seeing as this is already 2048x1024 (and low-end cards are limited to 2048^2), I don't see that happening. :blah:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I really like the improvement, :yes:

Can you...make it less darker in order to fit better with the original texture?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Can you...make it less darker in order to fit better with the original texture?[/i][/color]

I believe the word you're looking for is "brighter"? ;7

Anyway, it mostly just looks overly dark in the ship lab (which is a pretty dark environment) AND that my lighting settings are pretty dark. I *could* brighten the shinemap, but most likely nothing good would come from that. And brightening the base texture would mostly just negate the effect of dirtyness and reduce the contrast of the other details as well. The texture just happens to be slightly darker than the original (which, if memory serves right, was disgusting :lol:), so the end result is a bit darker, and that's it. It's only a little darker than with older texture (I checked with the old shinemap).

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I like the lines generated by the normal map.

I think it's the only part worth keeping.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I like the lines generated by the normal map.

I think it's the only part worth keeping.

Well... it is a good paneling design. I don't really care much of the so called dirtyness. The paneling (and some other) detail is well designed IMHO, as proved by the fact that the WIP normal map works remarkably well with the old texture as well, so I might just contact Freespaceking and ask if he still has the source file(s) and if he would be willing to give it up for us to meddle with, and see what different levels of dirty would look like.

It would likely make it easier to generate normal map too, to have the originals to look at for reference.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

What do you think...? :nervous:

**** YEAH, SEAKING!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:14:17 pm by BlackDove »