Author Topic: I need clarification  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Akidas

I need clarification
Alright, I didn't know freespace even existed or what it was until a few hours ago- I was delighted when I saw, hell, beyond that, ecstatic!
So, I get into the Babylon project, start playing around, and I get the impression you cannot play as any of the capital ships, only fighters?
If this is the case /heartbreak.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: I need clarification
Yes that is pretty much the case with almost all of FS2_Open games and mods.   It's all based on piloting fighters. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's always possible to mod the tables to allow the piloting of capital ships, but it's not going to be very fun without serious gameplay alterations like the ones you have in The Blade Itself, because otherwise you're just moving your capship at slow speeds, hoping your AI-controlled turrets will do their job.

In the end, FSO is not really designed to have player-controlled capital ship gameplay fun, although it can be done with a lot of SEXPing and scripting.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
In the end, FSO is not really designed to have player-controlled capital ship gameplay fun, although it can be done with a lot of SEXPing and scripting.

And even then, it kinda has to be your thing - as well FREDded as TBI is, it can't get around the fundamental issues of FS capships - slow speed, poor manoeuvrability, and no forward facing guns. The one in... Tenembraire? Tenebra, (Act 3 of WiH) was better because it had the forward facing guns, but as you say, the engine isn't designed for it.

To avoid dragging the thread too far off topic, I believe that TBP, at one point, had planned to make the Whitestar flyable, though that may have fallen by the wayside when it was declared complete
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
And even then, it kinda has to be your thing - as well FREDded as TBI is, it can't get around the fundamental issues of FS capships - slow speed, poor manoeuvrability, and no forward facing guns.

The capship in TBI is insanely maneuverable and pretty fast even by FS fighter standards, though  :confused:

The forward facing guns would be trivial to add, too, that's not a fundamental issue. They're on the model, just not under player control.

I don't think there are any real obstacles to fun capship command missions in the engine these days. That's why we've had so many good ones lately.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
And even then, it kinda has to be your thing - as well FREDded as TBI is, it can't get around the fundamental issues of FS capships - slow speed, poor manoeuvrability, and no forward facing guns.

The capship in TBI is insanely maneuverable and pretty fast even by FS fighter standards, though  :confused:

Really? I'll need to replay it, my memory may be playing up.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Mostly by the maneuverability thing I mean 'it can glide'. It definitely won't turn at fighter speeds, but between ETS and the not-afterburner you're not really much slower than you would be in a bomber.

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
To avoid dragging the thread too far off topic, I believe that TBP, at one point, had planned to make the Whitestar flyable, though that may have fallen by the wayside when it was declared complete

The Whitestar has been flyable pretty much since it has been added to the mod. It's not very much fun though, since you keep bumping into things and you can hardly dodge return fire.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Also, the AI can't make much good out of it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!