Author Topic: Name that rifle  (Read 5383 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Actually, the M4 is a different weapon altogether.  M16's chamber a 7.62mm NATO round; the M4 chambers a 5.56mm NATO round.  The carbine design is based on the design of the M16, but in terms of its ballistics its quite a different firearm.

The AR15 is the design prototype (AR = assault rifle) for the AR-15 civilian variant, M-16, and M-4 design, but the AR15 is also based off the 5.56mm cartridge as opposed to the 7.62mm.  Interestingly, an AR-15 is really nothing more than a high-powered .22 calibre semiautomatic rifle; 5.56mm NATO rounds are merely steel-jacketed .22 calibre rounds with extended powder capacity; the next evolution of the .22LR ammunition type.  They travel faster and farther than a .22LR round, but the actual diameter is nearly identical.

The G36 family consists primary of the G36 (long rifle), G36K (carbine), and G36C (Commado; short-barelled CQB weapon based loosely off the H&K's UMP design).  Like the M16 family, the long rifle chambers 7.62mm ammunition while the shorter carbine and commando variants are 5.56mm.

Yeah, Ryan, where did you get this idea that the long M16 and G36K are chambered in 7.62mm?

I'd like to know that too...  :wtf:
Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way!!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Well the AR15 to my knowledge is just a civilian version of the M16.  The M4 is a shortened carbine of the M16...but there is no MG or sniper variation to my knowledge from the M16.  Nothing in wide use that I know about.  Most of the newer rifles are a family of variations from the start like the G36, the XM8 prototypes (canned apparently), Type 95, etc.

Actually, the M4 is a different weapon altogether.  M16's chamber a 7.62mm NATO round; the M4 chambers a 5.56mm NATO round.  The carbine design is based on the design of the M16, but in terms of its ballistics its quite a different firearm.

The AR15 is the design prototype (AR = assault rifle) for the AR-15 civilian variant, M-16, and M-4 design, but the AR15 is also based off the 5.56mm cartridge as opposed to the 7.62mm.  Interestingly, an AR-15 is really nothing more than a high-powered .22 calibre semiautomatic rifle; 5.56mm NATO rounds are merely steel-jacketed .22 calibre rounds with extended powder capacity; the next evolution of the .22LR ammunition type.  They travel faster and farther than a .22LR round, but the actual diameter is nearly identical.

The G36 family consists primary of the G36 (long rifle), G36K (carbine), and G36C (Commado; short-barelled CQB weapon based loosely off the H&K's UMP design).  Like the M16 family, the long rifle chambers 7.62mm ammunition while the shorter carbine and commando variants are 5.56mm.
As far as I know the M16 family does not use the 7.62mm...and thats actually a controversy right now as soliders at checkpoints in Iraq are complaining that the 5.56 does not penetrate engine blocks easily enough to stop these cars before they run the checkpoint.  I think thats also partly the reason why SOCOM went with the SCAR-L/H setup as they can use the 5.56 when they want and the 7.62 when they want with minimal differences in the parts required to fire either bullet.

I'm also not aware of any G36s with 7.62 capability.  They all fire the 5.56.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Maybe he's thinking of the M14, which was a .30-06?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
M-14 was 7.62 NATO, what is with people and calibers? The M1 was .3-6

I think the SCAR-H is supposed to use 7.62x39mm, not 7.62x51mm NATO

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
*smacks forehead*

I was thinking of the M14 and  H&K G3A3 (versus the G36), which are both chambered in 7.62.  My bad.  That's what I get for writing immediately after a night shift :P
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Zoltan

The SCAR-H is supposed to use 7.62 NATO... what is it with people and calibers?
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

SCAR-H is supposed to use both 7.62x51mm NATO and the russian 7.62x39mm
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm
Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way!!

Offline Zoltan

SCAR-H is supposed to use both 7.62x51mm NATO and the russian 7.62x39mm
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

Always go for primary sources. When they were initially attempting to "sell" the rifle they claimed that it could use both; currently it can only use one. Here you go: http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF055&gid=FNG020
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Well the AR15 to my knowledge is just a civilian version of the M16.  The M4 is a shortened carbine of the M16...but there is no MG or sniper variation to my knowledge from the M16.  Nothing in wide use that I know about.  Most of the newer rifles are a family of variations from the start like the G36, the XM8 prototypes (canned apparently), Type 95, etc.

The Ar-15  is missing some things the m16 has. I think it is calssified as rifle so it can be sold legally, while the M16 is an assault rifle so only military and law enforcement can use them. As far as a sniper version, you can Get a M16A4 with a modified barrel, attached scope, 3lb 2 stage trigger, and bipod, is as close to "sniper" as it comes for a M16, and its freakin close and looks sexy. The M16A1 was full auto, but the military realized that after 3 rounds you are missing because of the recoil

The M16 and M4 are both chambered for 5.56. Ballistically speaking the M4s muzzle velocity is slightly slower and it's slightly less accurate. Practically the M4 jams quadruple from the M16 in the field

Less accurate? the only thing is it is harder to maintain a steady aim with a shorter weapon, the distance from the front to rear sight post magnifies small movements, so the longer the distance the more you can see how much your aim is shifting. Personally I scored higher on rifle qual with a M4 than I ever did with a M16

As for jamming more, not really, it has the same upper and lower receiver as a M16, just a different but stock and barrel. Maybe just soldiers not taking care of their weapons.  The only jamming problems Ive had were caused by the mag double feeding or failing in some other way.
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline Slasher

No love for the Colt Commando, the realllly short version of the M16?  Ten inch barrel as opposed to the rifle's twenty.  Apparently not a very widely distributed weapon.

Interesting, the regular m16 will make you go deaf fast if you arent wearing ear plugs, so I cant imagine how loud that would have been to make them not use it
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:52:02 pm by Fearless Leader »
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
*smacks forehead*

I was thinking of the M14 and  H&K G3A3 (versus the G36), which are both chambered in 7.62.  My bad.  That's what I get for writing immediately after a night shift :P
That immediately makes more sense :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Uh...I was under the impression 7.62 Nato is .30-06

Offline Zoltan

Uh...I was under the impression 7.62 Nato is .30-06

.30-06 is 7.62 x 63mm.

The 7.62x51mm NATO is far more similar to the .308 Winchester.

Not too sure about the original question, but I generally visit this absurdly detailed Russian gun site when I'm curious if there's a real life counterpart to some weapon I've seen in a video game or the like.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.