Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 153136 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: 次元のエクリプス - Dimensional Eclipse
Does anyone else have the destroyed model for some ships actually turn out to be a regular model that just "splits" away from the old model?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The entire ship? So it undergoes like fission and splits into complete (but dead) copies of itself? :wtf:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah but one explodes, and one just sits there sparking until it eventually explodes, too.  You can blow that one up too.

Offline Droid803

wat. never heard of it until now, but according to battuta it's a FSO bug, possibly hardware specific? Been around for a while apparently.
(´・ω・`)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ah.  GT 540M, also there's the Intel i7 Sandy Bridge, I guess that's got a GPU built in; hopefully that doesn't affect it.  I've finally installed FRAPS again, so if video or anything is helpful, I can oblige, but it looks like this is already known, and is SCP territory anyways.  :)

Offline -Norbert-

I wouldn't mind seeing that bug, if only for the laugh, much like an Arcadia getting stuck in a rotating subsystem and being whirled around.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just finished yesterday, overall the campaign is a really nice product, now for the details:

I had a ton of problems with difficulty/gameplay, got jumped a lot of times right before the end of every mission and kept dying to massing amounts of incoming fire from which I had no way to escape, the prime reason why I kept dying was probably because of the fast paced nature of the battles.. I'm just too rusted in FS gameplay :P . Still even if I found this kind of annoying at times, I never stopped playing and eventually got the hand on it.

I liked the story, was fun to follow through and the extensive briefings did a lot to keep me interested in the story (despite what some might say about extensive "things to read", I find it to be one of the best means to tell the story).
The characters where nice, but as always when there's so much of them around I never really got to remmember them all, not a bad thing but maybe something to remember on the future.
On the not so bright side, I had so much trouble following the dialogue during mission, lines where thrown at me at the speed of light and I had to go to the messages window more than once because of fast disappearing text (not the ones thrown at you during battle... those are always lost, but the ones that take place during calm moments, they seemed too fast).

The scanning mission, ahh yes...this is right now one of the best fredded and planned missions I've seen so far on FS.
I can tell you spent quite some time thinking this one through, and for that this mission is an example of well planned fredding, good story telling and clever use of new features in FSO, something that is really difficult to achieve. (despite the fact that I lost the mission like 12 times in a row, I really enjoyed it and kept me glued to the sit.. kudos!).

I think that's all, the campaign is quite good and I really enjoyed it overall so :yes: :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

Thanks for the review!
Yeah, the new flight mechanics takes a bit of getting used to, its always jarring for me when I switch back and forth :P
As for the text, I could extend the time they're on screen but this problem is something that plagues anything relatively text-heavy without voice acting in general.

Yeah, that stealth mission...took a long time to get right. It was SEXP nightmare when I first started it...

Thanks again~!
(´・ω・`)

Offline CKid

Well, I have played this mod a lot over the weekend (dare not say how many times I replayed it) and it is quite interesting to say the least. Sometimes it can get very frustrating and the difficulty is a challenge. Here are some thoughts of mine:

Spoiler:
- AA defense is a *****! I have not been this scared of beaning near capital ships since probably getting up close and personal with Serkr team in Blue Planet. Really makes you respect the huge bull-eyes. A perfect example is the sentry gun in stronghold (I hate that gun so much)

- Always keep on the move, If enemy fighters get a lock on you while your at zero thrust, your screwed cause you will not able to react quickly enough to save yourself.

- MOAR Catapults, If your going to make a squeal, please add them in again. Getting Launched into space and actually passing the mass driver weapons fire on your way to your destination in the mission "Forewarning" was awesome. Just makes me want scream "CAN WE DO AGAIN!"

- Loving the rapid fire primary weapons. Loving even more the auto-aim, helps us pilots that are more used to slower, less nimble targets.

- Just like Rodo, I had to hit F4 a lot to read the messages due to having to focus more in combat. I enjoyed the speed of the craft and didn't take to long to get a handle of the flight mechanics. (Gliding is so much fun!)

- Missiles, many different kinds of warheads to choose from and all are pretty effective. Expect for maybe the Virula, only really works on slow bombers and does not seem to work well on cap-ships. One of my favorite parts of fighter combat is when you and wing mates go head to head against a enemy squadron and everyone unloads their missiles at the same time, all the different coloured (that colored with a u cause I am Canadian) missile trails taking over the screen, combining and resulting in explosions. What can only be described as carpet bombing space puts a smile on my face. That reminds me, dual fire of Diamondbacks do a good job of that to.  :yes:

- All fighters were enjoyable to fly, kind of wanted to be able to pick the Blizzard for more sorties. The Yukikaze Maze and Super Sylph are sexy machines, really want to fly them if their respected pilots will let you.

- Duke bombers, Pain in the ass! enough said.

- In the mission "The Defense" I had a hell of a time trying to save that Tempest Cruiser. Sometimes the darn thing gets wasted before I can even reach it. Had to restart the mission many times and try and get lucky.

- The Phoenix fighter, when should I be using which shield type? Cant wrap my head around the description in the Tech room.

- You sneaky bastard. Boy was I in for a surprise when I got a different version of chapter 2 with all new missions after I all ready beat the game several times before. (The new version where pirates steal your stuff) I am assuming you get this version if you ace the test at the beginning?

- Flying the Typhoon took a lot a trail and error, not being able to regenerate heath like the Altan Orde in Blue Planet makes you have to be mindful of what your plan of attack is. No charging in to only be ripped a part. Slowly but surely I was successful in commanding the ship, basically mashing the 4 Key for the megacrash.(awesome perk) Does putting more power to weapons increase the fire rate for all weapons or just the AA defenses?

- The Boss battle, OH MY GOD. It took forever for me to figure out what I suppose to do. It is not easy to maneuver a craft capable of over 200m/s in a area of about 500 meters in diameter with crazy ass weapons fire coming from every which direction. At one point I had the core down to 25% when the boss jumped out and this the first time I got that far, I was not happy to say the least.  :banghead: Not satisfied with ended the mission with the boss getting away after losing count of how many times I died, I restarted the mission and got the SOB, VICTORY WILL BE MINE!

- On my latest play through, I was shocked to find that in the last mission, what was suppose to be my RE-LS Assault was replaced with a Vic Viper. I'm assuming this is because I took the HAF Phoenix instead of the GTF RE-LS when returning to Sol. Does this mean if I take the HAF Selkie next time I get another completely different super fighter?

- The music, I love it. It like the cherry on the top, flying at insane speeds, guns blazing, missiles everywhere and I truly mean everywhere with the music blaring blowin **** up! Its like a high your don't want to come down from. Favorite song is hard to choose but I will have go with the final mainhall, I can rock on with it all day and night! (I actually just converted all the songs from .ogg to .mp3 and put them on my IPod)

In the end, I die lots but kept coming back for more. Awesome mod, awesome FREDing, funny jokes in chapter 2 version B. Please make a sequel.

PS. may come back with more questions.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
- The Boss battle, OH MY GOD. It took forever for me to figure out what I suppose to do. It is not easy to maneuver a craft capable of over 200m/s in a area of about 500 meters in diameter with crazy ass weapons fire coming from every which direction. At one point I had the core down to 25% when the boss jumped out and this the first time I got that far, I was not happy to say the least.  :banghead: Not satisfied with ended the mission with the boss getting away after losing count of how many times I died, I restarted the mission and got the SOB, VICTORY WILL BE MINE!

- On my latest play through, I was shocked to find that in the last mission, what was suppose to be my RE-LS Assault was replaced with a Vic Viper. I'm assuming this is because I took the HAF Phoenix instead of the GTF RE-LS when returning to Sol. Does this mean if I take the HAF Selkie next time I get another completely different super fighter?

Spoiler:
Thank you for enjoying the boss fight. I wonder if anyone notices where I shamelessly took it from?  :nervous:

Taking the Selkie DOES get you a different fighter. You get the Fire LEO-04 Rynex. Glass Cannon at its finest, but capships are really scared of this thing.

There's still one more fighter you missed. You can get the Ray Mark IV from finding all the forks in sillier chapter 2, all of them are hiding in transports. There's three of them in all and two are blink-and-you-miss-it ships.

At least someone found the silly chapter 2 funny. As for a sequel, we're...considering it. I myself am waiting for more reviews before I really commit myself to any sort of continuaiton.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:00:59 pm by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Droid803

I put a lot of work into it. I wonder if anyone notices where I shamelessly took it from?

Yes Andrew, changing the axis on which it rotates is a lot of work.

I on the other hand, made all the weapons and wrote the entire SEXP sequence for the fight. And figured out how it would work in 3 dimensions with the force-field and additional arm...
I wonder if anyone notices where I shamelessly took it from?

EDIT: Ninja'd out  :mad2:
(´・ω・`)

Offline Yarn

Could someone please compile FRED from the latest trunk revision for me? I want to find out what exactly is causing my problem in Cornered Beasts. I need a Windows binary, preferably SSE2.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Droid803

I wish I had an up to date version of FRED, I've been using a version from back like, at the beginning of the RC period.
Nobody can compile FRED, and they don't come with nightlies due to this stupid RC that nobody even gives a damn about because no mod will actually use it :mad:

So if someone compiles FRED, could I kindly have a copy as well?  :)
(´・ω・`)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have a recent FRED build but it's a BP build so I'm not sure how much use it'd be. :(

Offline Yarn

I have a recent FRED build but it's a BP build so I'm not sure how much use it'd be. :(
I don't really care what version it is, as long as it's a Windows binary that works with Dimensional Eclipse. I just want to create a very simple test mission with a Blizzard CE that I can destroy with a key press.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Droid803

If it has r8627 in it it will work.
(´・ω・`)

Offline polnarG

Hi

I can't have the campaign working : when I enter the first mission, all I have is a loading screen with a working progress bar. When the loading is finished, I have the sound of what could be a reactor and then nothing : I am stuck with the loading screen. :(

I am using r8670. Graphic card is ATI and I have atioglxx.dll

has someone experienced this before ?

Offline CKid

Spoiler:
Thank you for enjoying the boss fight. I wonder if anyone notices where I shamelessly took it from?  :nervous:

Taking the Selkie DOES get you a different fighter. You get the Fire LEO-04 Rynex. Glass Cannon at its finest, but capships are really scared of this thing.

There's still one more fighter you missed. You can get the Ray Mark IV from finding all the forks in sillier chapter 2, all of them are hiding in transports. There's three of them in all and two are blink-and-you-miss-it ships.

Spoiler:
Awesome, this just adds to the replay value of the mod. I had found 2 of the 3 forks in my last play through and just thought they were thrown in for fun like the spoons in Vassago's Dirge.

I think I may have also come across a little bug in the mission "Dissonance". I found that sometimes the drones will score a lucky hit on the Stargazer and disable the engines, which prevents the cruiser from engaging the pirate cap-ships. I find that it's next to impossible to complete the mission without the fire-support to assist you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:10:39 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Droid803

Oh snap. Gotta guardian those engiens!!!
(´・ω・`)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, I played it, and I'd say it's OK, but there are a few things:
1). The entire mod wasn't tested enough on high difficulties, and definitely not on weaker computers.
2). The Mora missile. TBH, the gameplay could be a lot better if it was simply removed. Here's a tip: AI doesn't need to lock their missiles, so it's a poor balancing device. The result is a missile which is nigh useless for the player because of long lock time for it's range and AI spams it indiscriminately. Add to it the little fact it's not a swarm missile, which means that every single Mora has to be decoyed individually. Oh, and it's too agile to outfly. Result: a frustrating, deafening (due to alert spamming), useless weapon that is overpowered when AI uses it. In general, either tone down the missile spam against the player or find a better (read: easier on ears) alert sound. I almost went deaf.
3). Lack of a good "snapshot" missile. The AI can use that blasted Mora in this role, but the player can't. Since dumbfires (usually candidates for such weapons) wouldn't be too useful in such high-speed gameplay model, I'd suggest something akin to Dart from WiH. A fast-tracking, strong missile which you shove down the enemy's tailpipe when your launch window is down to about 1-2s and you need to quickly reduce the number of hostiles.
4). Diamondback doesn't seem to have any effect, regardless of what I'm launching it at. It's either underpowered or I don't know how it use it.
5). Most capship comm trafic has the "decoding transmission" picture fade into static as if the sender was destroyed. I don't think it's intentional.

I'm not too far into the campaign, so that's it for now, but expect more feedback in the future.