Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 154001 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: RELEASE: 次元のエクリプス - Dimensional Eclipse
1). The entire mod wasn't tested enough on high difficulties, and definitely not on weaker computers.
There's a point where we can't and shouldn't expect mod makers to keep making stuff for smoopid intelgrateds. This is 2012, for f*ck's sake. Go buy some hardware.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's not like I can't run it. It's just the fact that if I didn't had a cutting-edge computer, I couldn't run it past Hotshot. The missile spam on high difficulties is is way too excessive. And yes, the Mora amounts for most of this spam (the rest are capship-based launchers, which aren't that bad if you know what you're doing). Really, replacing this missile with something more manageable would go a long way to improve this mod (and spare the players' ears).

Offline CKid

3). Lack of a good "snapshot" missile. The AI can use that blasted Mora in this role, but the player can't. Since dumbfires (usually candidates for such weapons) wouldn't be too useful in such high-speed gameplay model, I'd suggest something akin to Dart from WiH. A fast-tracking, strong missile which you shove down the enemy's tailpipe when your launch window is down to about 1-2s and you need to quickly reduce the number of hostiles.
4). Diamondback doesn't seem to have any effect, regardless of what I'm launching it at. It's either underpowered or I don't know how it use it.

Spoiler:
They got that missile role covered, just keep playing and you will find a missile that makes the Dart look like a crappy hornet. As for the Diamondback, I found its most effective to launch it at around 1000 meters to target for maximum damage. Also annihilates light Cap-ships(and their subsystems) when their shields are down.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Good to know, though TBH, an in-game explanation of your tactic could come in handy. It's good to know there's a snapshot missile, but some form of it should be available earlier, preferably from the start (or just give the Mora a heat seeker and $Burst Shots , that should do it). You fly about half of the campaign with your starting selection.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
1). The entire mod wasn't tested enough on high difficulties, and definitely not on weaker computers.

Destiny plays on Insane. I donno how good his computer is, but he beats everything on insane. That said, he plays a lot and is probably better than I am at it...
That said, I did put that you do need a decent computer on the requirements. I know this mod is resource-heavy, with all the hi-poly ships and completely-intentional missile spamming.

2). The Mora missile. TBH, the gameplay could be a lot better if it was simply removed. Here's a tip: AI doesn't need to lock their missiles, so it's a poor balancing device. The result is a missile which is nigh useless for the player because of long lock time for it's range and AI spams it indiscriminately. Add to it the little fact it's not a swarm missile, which means that every single Mora has to be decoyed individually. Oh, and it's too agile to outfly. Result: a frustrating, deafening (due to alert spamming), useless weapon that is overpowered when AI uses it. In general, either tone down the missile spam against the player or find a better (read: easier on ears) alert sound. I almost went deaf.

I've hear some people say that they really like using the Mora. Yes, the AI spams it a lot, but I made sure that most AI use a nerfed version that has much reduced damage compared to the ones available to the player.

5). Most capship comm trafic has the "decoding transmission" picture fade into static as if the sender was destroyed. I don't think it's intentional.
Didn't make that one, just took it from WoD. Didn't hear anyone complaining about it there...

3 and 4 have been answered already :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ah, so the AI version of Mora has lower damage. Doesn't stop it from making the RWR blare an ear-piercing warning tune right into my ears. Also, it doesn't stop AI from blatantly cheating with it (since it they need to lock on with it, they dump 10 of them as a snapshot). The AI version of Mora should have it's ROF nerfed, IMHO. Or have $Burst Shots set in order to somehow simulate lock-on time. It also wouldn't hurt if you looked for a better RWR warning tone. The current one is loud and rather frustrating.
The comm animation originally comes from WCS prologue (and has it's origins in WCP). And I'm pretty sure that WoD has the correct version too. It's just a nitpick though.

Offline Droid803

AFAIK, the current one is the default FS2 one.
As for the starship one, **** it. It doesn't matter, I don't see how you get that the ship is being destroyed.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Spoiler:
Could anyone share a cheat sheet with me that includes all the answers for the test?

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
The answer key:

1. 4

2. 2000

3. Subspace Drives

4. Subspace Nodes

5.  7.8E14

6.  4

7. Meson

8. Frenquency Spectrum

9. Yandere

10. 2D

All I have to say is have a nice day~
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I just know I heard the training simulator music somewhere before, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where.  Anyone care to enlighten me?

Offline Droid803

It's from Battleships Forever, perhaps you've played it? :P
(´・ω・`)

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Oh.  Now I remember.  Briefing music, ships blowing up bit by bit, my ancient computer lagging horribly...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
AFAIK, the current one is the default FS2 one.
As for the starship one, **** it. It doesn't matter, I don't see how you get that the ship is being destroyed.
The comm ani starts normally, but fades into static after a while. In WCS Prologue, this is the sign that the sender is going down. It's a little bit jarring.
As for RWR tone, the fact it's default doesn't make it any better. You've got a lot of new sounds, so it shouldn't be difficult to find something.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I am sorry to say this Dragon, but you definitely sound like you're making mountains out of molehills, like we say in French. These are all insignificant minute details, but you've drawn the discussion about it for more than half a page. Just do like literally everyone else and deal with it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The comm ani thing is something that could easily be corrected. I feel it's jarring and I'm pointing out where to get the correct one.
As for RWR tone, I found it very frustrating and very unpleasant to hear. It's The Most Annoying Sound of this mod, especially combined with Mora. I don't know what level you play on, but on Insane, it borders on unbearable, drowning out music and other important sounds. And you hear it pretty much constantly.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Holy ****, how many times are you going to repeat this? Shut up, Dragon.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Dragon, they do not most make update. Your concerns are noted. Stop presenting them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm not repeating. I'm elaborating. Everyone tells me those things are not important, I'm arguing that they are.

Anyway, I've found another couple of problems, in the last mission of the 2nd chapter. This time they're quite severe.

FSO has a weapon limit of 700 at the time and 300 polygon models at the time. In this mission, once the furball began, you managed to hit one (or both) of those limits. Apparently, making a swarm missile that spawns swarm missiles, then giving it to every AI in the mission seemed like a good idea. Not exactly. Not to mention the initial furball is terribly unbalanced and very luck-based. I've noticed very few differences between Instane and Hotshot, barring how many hits I could take (yes, you're hitting those limits on Hotshot as well). Not to mention Megan's beam weapon sometimes took out my weapons subsystem, on other occasions I almost couldn't fire weapons because of object limits. On Insane, both cases were death sentence.

After the furball is over, I've noticed a strange slowdown (despite only 3 ships on screen), which disappears after one of the hostile frigates is destroyed. Another problem is, the friendly cruiser doesn't resupply you as advertised, it only repairs your hull. Meaning you might well be out of Yaris at a crucial moment, and going against a Hyperion with your guns is not a good idea. Also, I've frequently got knocked into the cruiser's bays by a shockwave and got stuck in there. They're just too small for the Blizzard. It should be possible to FRED a failsafe for such situations.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hey Droid, are you thinking in maybe making a sequel in the future some time?

EDIT: LOL Dragon, drop it XD
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

You are correct, Dragon. There are basically no difference between difficulties except for player damage reduction. This is by design. All AI behave like insane AI even on "Very Easy" (or whatever it's been renamed to). I don't like dumb AI.

It is not luck based in the slightest if you know what to do, and it isn't every AI in the mission, it is 4 ships all belonging to a single wing armed with such missiles, present specifically for missile saturation support. The key is to identify and eliminate (they're flying fighters which basically are missile platforms and nothing else, should be easy kills). They're what splash your unshielded wingmen to death. Without them, the enemy Blizzard CMD wing gets swarmed easily by friendlies and go down without much fuss.

I don't think I've ever advertised rearming, simply repairing...if I did then oops. Well I could put rearming back in to make it less SOCHARD.

... Knocked into the fighterbay by shockwaves...really? :wtf:

The slowdown is due to the debris from Psi 1 (megan's fighter), but I have no idea why as I just imported debris from the regular blizzard. Go figure.

Hey Droid, are you thinking in maybe making a sequel in the future some time?

Iunno.
(´・ω・`)