Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 167882 times)

Offline Syder

And where is the "Rule of Sense" or "Rule of Functionality" then? :)  
There are frame like looking pieces in the original model, but they are solid and remind me of armour ribs - for better protection (the "neck" is the thinnest vital part of the ship) not of a hollow structure that will crack in half after the first meteor hit.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:15:18 pm by Syder »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well I like the overall look but what I don't buy is that space frame. Any military vehicle engineer will say that leaving vital parts of a superstructure without the armour is a total nonsense.

Frames are always designed to make the structure tougher without losing any vital kilograms. They will withstand stress from acceleration, gravitation, hard manoeuvring etc. but no one designs them to withstand direct weapons fire that's why they are covered with armour plating. I've never seen a modern tank with part of its frame or structure uncovered/unprotected.
Eh, just think of them as construction supports that were never removed.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Eh, just think of them as construction supports that were never removed.

Space scaffolding.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Necro kinda, Sigtau :)

Any progress on the water gun, tho?
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
UV mapping and painting was overwhelming. I don't have skills in the same tier as VasudanAdmiral or RagingLoli, which is what this model really deserves.

For now I'm practicing on smaller models: I've unwrapped the Cheops (Vasudan Asteroid Base) and I've been painting that, and I'm also planning on unwrapping the Imhotep (Vasudan science cruiser) and perhaps the Mjolnir as well.

Then maybe I'll take a shot at the Colossus.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
UV mapping and painting was overwhelming. I don't have skills in the same tier as VasudanAdmiral or RagingLoli, which is what this model really deserves.

For now I'm practicing on smaller models: I've unwrapped the Cheops (Vasudan Asteroid Base) and I've been painting that, and I'm also planning on unwrapping the Imhotep (Vasudan science cruiser) and perhaps the Mjolnir as well.

UV mapping that... huge work indeed, maybe you can share some base textures and let some of the small details to other people, like a community project but with a more selected crew, and small amounts of work for everyone, so you don't get stuck for so long waiting for the results.

Just a thought...
el hombre vicio...

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along

I can try doing the new HTL Ravana in a jolt so you can practice, I'm always happy to give you means to improve :D

EDIT: or you might want to join the BWO team, there's some capital ships that need UVmapping and texturing as well, nd we really don't have a problem if you use them for practice :D
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
OFF TOPIC:

...Will FS Port 3.2 have an HTL Imhotep model? That would be quite nice...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm looking at enhancing the Cheops and the Imhotep, yes--they needed to be unwrapped anyway so I figured I'd upgrade them anyway.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Sounds great.  :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
maybe the anti-tiling propaganda should be toned down, cap-ships are comparable to level geometry more so than character models, and level geometry frequently makes use of tiled textures.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
But there's a lot you can't do with tile-textured ships.  AO baking comes to mind.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You cannot easly reskin an UVMapped ship though.
I will be happy with either route for Colossus, UVMap will allow greater detail and tile maps will allow me to reskin it and use in my mod as a dreadnought.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd rather have a single great UVMap than a set of equally ugly tile-mapped skins, I must confess.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
maybe the anti-tiling propaganda should be toned down, cap-ships are comparable to level geometry more so than character models, and level geometry frequently makes use of tiled textures.

Bob has a good point there. It is a matter of good use of the tiles, and of course you can mix the techniques. The later might be the best approach, even design wise, because you get a mix of repetition and uniqueness in the textures (repetition is a good way to hint scale)

See the Rakshasa for a good example of good use of tiled textures. Alternatively, see the Cain\Lilith for a good example of a mix.

But there's a lot you can't do with tile-textured ships.  AO baking comes to mind.

That's almost a non issue. I have no idea what the coders have in mind, but I'd wager that sooner or later FSO will have either dynamic AO, or stencil shadows. Any of them take care of the problem :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Dynamic AO is very cpu intensive, and baked AO takes no processing time.  Plus, that's only one example, I'm sure there's a few more the unwrapping supporters know of.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline bkd86

You cannot easly reskin an UVMapped ship though.

Yes you can if you know what your doing. How else to you think all the FPS mods "reskin" models sure isn't with tiled textures.  If you can create a tileable texture you can skin/paint a UV mapped anything. Baked AO is then really simple to add.

Maybe by the Time Galemp feels he's ready for this, FS will support multiple texture channels :nervous:
Like that, you could have AO-baked and tilemapped ships.