Author Topic: Stellar Assault FSO - The Old Thread  (Read 71320 times)

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Re: Stellar Assault FSO - A Total Conversion
Official Naval designation don't contain 1km long ships...and they don't contain dreadnoughts either. DN's are battleships...or should I say, were early battleships.

True enough. Can you forgive me for utilizing at least SOME artistic license?
My bigger point is that FS games don't use them at all. (Destroyers being Gigantic uberships? wtf?)
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The epic win continues!

Good work, chaps!  :D :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
SAFSO now has a modDB page!

Also on there is our (rather, Quanto's) first developer diary. He describes the ideas and how awesome Stellar Assault is, and the basic plotline of SAFSO. Enjoy!
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Interesting listening to what Quanto had to say  :nod:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Good stuff, chaps! The more I see this project, the more I continue to like it!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Double post for possible utility...

Quanto, as you're going to be producing what is assumed to be a fairly large number of people for your cutscene endeavors, you might find this free application useful:

http://www.makehuman.org/

It's possible you have a better program for the purpose of character art (I get the feeling Silo particularly biased towards character art), but this program seems to be a free equivalent to Poser. Hopefully this could be useful to you.  :)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
does it do hair yet?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
Why you should join the SSF:

You get to have sexy fighters!
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
After a sudden burst of creativity (which died down progessively after the burst, mind you...), I felt the need to take a stab at what the Feather 4 might look like, or how some interesting physical forms on an anime-style starfighter might appear:

This is by no means Quanto's vision of the fighter from what I've gleaned of his opinions on the type. The design is unrefined, sloppy in some areas, and doesn't quite fit in with what we've seen of the Stellar Assault universe. But, it does have some traits that, if developed, might actually mature to be quite appealing. Also a good little bit of practice with "organic mechanical" forms. Thanks, anime!  :p

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Wow!   :yes:

That is genuinely awesome looking. Like... I want to fly it. NOW.
I'm gonna go ahead, and get to modeling it. I'll add some artistic liberties of my own. But I'll freely admit, I like your concept more than my own.
Thaeris, that is a pretty impressive burst of creativity you had!
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I agree, looks awesome  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I suppose I could work at streamlining the fighter/getting rid of the lumps. The small lateral profile is mostly rubbish, really - the desing needs some real tweaking if it's to look proper. However, I'm sure you've got a handle on it, Quanto.  ;)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Wow, dude! This is amazing stuff you got going here. Really great work!

I reckon I could learn a thing or two about sketching concepts from your artwork here.  Love to see more!
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
I DO WANT. It looks awesome. Oh so awesome.

Also, does it have 4 guns for the primary banks or 2?
My Efforts:
SF Knight

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
As drawn, it has two light/standard guns and a heavy cannon on the ventral portion of the hull. The plasma missile banks would have four firing ports each.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
And for those who haven't seen yet, we tested multiplayer yesterday (and a little today).

You can watch through my perspective and watch how I totally own everyone and dominate! get owned by Quanto. = (
My Efforts:
SF Knight

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I found a few Videos for the Sega Saturn version of Stellar Assault while looking up the video you posted... I can identify the Terran fighters just fine, but I don't recognize any of the capitol ships. Any input on this, Quanto? Upon analysis, I must also note how you merged design elements from both versions of the game in your fighters to date...

Also, apart from the 32X version and the Saturn version (which looks much prettier, I must say...), were there any other releases of the game? Again, I'd be curious to track down a Japanese speaker on HLP to decipher available elements of the story (on YouTube, mostly)... just so you'd know.  :)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
I found a few Videos for the Sega Saturn version of Stellar Assault while looking up the video you posted... I can identify the Terran fighters just fine, but I don't recognize any of the capitol ships. Any input on this, Quanto? Upon analysis, I must also note how you merged design elements from both versions of the game in your fighters to date...

Also, apart from the 32X version and the Saturn version (which looks much prettier, I must say...), were there any other releases of the game? Again, I'd be curious to track down a Japanese speaker on HLP to decipher available elements of the story (on YouTube, mostly)... just so you'd know.  :)

Nope, there weren't any other games of Stellar Assault. Just the 32x and the Saturn game. It would be cool if someone could translate what they are saying though.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22zp91ARFE

With my poor knowledge of moonspeak I could deciper this:
"This Hawk 1, name, name, can you read/hear me?"
"Yes commander/captain/leader/whatevertherankis"
"Something about beginning the operation, let's go"
"Something about the mission area coordinates and starting jump/warp/ftl"
"Something about putting scans on a display"
"Computer voice confirming something along those lines"
"All units break formation/scatter, let's do this quick and return home"
"Computer saying something I dont understand"
"Unit has reached scan point"
"Okay, activate the support device"
"Computer voice saying something about standing by"
"Computer voice saying the device has began scanning"
"Support device has finished scanning"
"Okay, beginning docking sequence. Let's finish up and return home"
"Computer saying something about detecting a reaction at the enemy"
"Huh? Have we been discovered?"
"High energy reading! An enemy attack!"
"'kaito 3' (that support device), down."
"Something I can't understand"
*battle*
"How's that, somethingsomething"
"Computer saying it is reading a reaction at the enemy ship again"
"A whole bunch of stuff I can't understand or can't hear clearly because of the music"
"Orders to follow the enemy thing (I think)"
and that's the end of the video.

I really wish my knowledge of moonspeak was better than this  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Perhaps we should enlist Komet to assist with this?

There were also a few briefings as well as the introduction posted on YouTube. The... first ten missions of the Saturn version were also posted - I think there might have been more missions with that game, though.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke