Author Topic: Stellar Assault FSO - The Old Thread  (Read 71323 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Stellar Assault FSO - A Pet Project
I really have to applaud your work here... This is really cool!  :D

I do believe there are a few Japanese or Japanese-speaking members on the HLP, so if you have the manuals and a scanner, you might be in luck! I know there's a fellow who was in the highlights a while ago by the name of Komet or KometJpn... something to that order... who made a port of retail FS2 to the Japanese language. If you can't find him, I could try and contact him for you.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
My saturn version is in emulator form so i am manual-less.
The 32x Version I have is the Localized US Version. So, no manuals to scan ;_;
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
No luck on the internets?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

Nope, as I mentioned in the big post, Stellar Assault is not a very well known game. Those who do know about it are mostly retro gamers and sega uber-fans. Current running prices from Retro-Stores and Ebay run in the hundreds of dollars. Even more than Panzer Dragoon Zwei. (Which I also have, but to be honest, Stellar Assault is just simply too amazing to be left only to history.)

Really tho, I have no interest in translating the original game. None at all.

I am much more interested in building some kind of development team. Seriously. I can do the artwork, but I have absolutely NO experience working with the Freespace Open engine. Its insanely daunting.
If anyone, ANYONE, is interested in helping, even just a little bit, it would be a huge morale booster and motivator. I truly believe this is something worth working on, and would love some help from people who know their way around the engine.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:33:09 am by Quanto »
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Shadow Squadron, eh? Seeing as I only had the Genesis before and never got a 32X, I never could play it on a console. Well, I played that game before on an emulator, but it's hard to do with a keyboard and getting owned so quickly.  If I could use a mouse I would be so much better.

But, anyhow, I'm interested in your project. I'm good at concept design, writing, management, but you seem to have those covered very well. I MIGHT be able to do some FREDing, but I have no tables and plus I doubt my talents in that department. But, I'll try to help in some way, as it seems you have a lot of ambition to get it a finished product out into the world.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Quanto

I would gladly take you on board, we could learn the system together.
My steam ID is El_Quanto
I am online nearly everyday between 3PM EST and 1AM EST. I also have a ventrilo server.
If you are serious about giving this a shot you are more than welcome to hit me up. This message goes for any lurkers as well. I need all the help I can get, cause I am sure people will come and go.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
Well, we been conceptualizing (primarily story element) for a while, and I can say that what we need the most is programmers, because we want to add concepts that are not even present in the engine at all (i.e. one of our ideas for storyline advancement would be in the form of a visual novelesque sequences in between missions.)

Also, concept art that Quanto didn't post here yet.

^ First one is the concept of the logo for the SGN. The second logo is the Synthesis Space Force. This was actually seen the Saturn version of the game very often.

Some fighter sketches. For the sake of variety, we wanted to add a few more fighters outside of canon for the sake of variety. We're not even sure if we're going to use these designs however.

And lastly, some characters.

Quanto's first deadline: Get the first set of models imported into the game by the end of next week. As for me, I need to come up with more ideas for infodumping by when it's done. =P
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Um, you can do cutscenes between missions pretty easily.

If your programmers want to work with the FSOpen engine, they should join the FreeSpace Source Code Project. You can find the forum here on Hard Light.

Offline Quanto

Um, you can do cutscenes between missions pretty easily.

If your programmers want to work with the FSOpen engine, they should join the FreeSpace Source Code Project. You can find the forum here on Hard Light.
Well, thats kind of the problem, we don't have ANY programmers. We're asking for some >_>

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You'll have to put out a demo, some material to attract talent, something like that. Coders are in extraordinarily high demand, and they all work together on the Source Code Project to add features for FSOpen that may be useful for individual projects. There aren't any special forks of the engine used for particular projects.

You can also post feature requests in the Source Code Project forum, but you should research them heavily first. For example, the idea of having cutscenes between missions can already be done pretty easily, but the total number of cutscenes per campaign is limited.

Offline Quanto

Re: Stellar Assault FSO - A Total Conversion
Well, like so;

we have been posting material to build interest. And we are hard at work to pull this sucker together.
However, we aren't talking about "cutscenes" we could do cutscenes. What we are talking about is sort of a "between mission" player to character interaction. Where the player in way of an RPGesque or Mass Effect style thing where you interact with your wing mates between missions.
We want to build the story outside of the cockpit.
As a player of more action oriented space games, I've never been a fan of sitting in autopilot, or flying in a straight line for 5 - 10 minutes while listing to my wing mates yammer on about the games plot. When in battle, you have more important things to worry about than the story. Like, survival.

So the idea has been to develop the characters outside the battlefield. Through a multi-option dialogue system. The mission briefings would also come directly from this format.
Example:
Admiral Joe gives the mission brief.
Rather than jumping straight into the fray, you have a multitude of dialogue options to ask Admiral Joe, like secondary objects, details on the mission that might not have been mentioned in the brief. Perhaps even give the player opportunities to shape their character to how they may behave themselves in a situation.

This game will also have two possible endings. And two possible factions to fight for. 25 or so missions per faction. (35 total, the first 10 missions are fought with the "Shadow Squadron". Mission 10 will be the planned branching point. So about 60 missions total.)

I'm kind of rambling here, so I'll just end the infodump here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:21:00 am by Quanto »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ah. Well, if it was text-only, that kind of interaction might be hacked into the engine somehow, at great length and only after (I think?) the interface code was pretty well overhauled. Doing it with animated characters would be unfortunately pretty much impossible.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, doing it would take a major overhaul of how the engine is set up. It might be possible to do something like this using scripting to override the engine functionality in those places, but there would be a need for experimentation.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The branching missions are easy though. And you can also do branching dialogues in-game.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, all those features needed to do that are already implemented.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
As the only FREDer (and the only other member) on board atm, branching missions and dialogue based on certain choices a player makes outside the cockpit once that part actually does get implemented. But, yes, the General is right, we need at least something playable at the very least if we are going to get any attention and have anyone want to be a part of the team.

Remember, I'm going to blame you if you don't get any models in game by next week, Quanto.  ;7
My Efforts:
SF Knight

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

Blast Damnit! They're playing on one of my weaknesses: My affinity towards red-headed women...

:lol:

Good work on the concept art, gentlemen. I need to get back to that soon, actually...

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

I finished the UV Maps for the Feather 1.
The current texture however is only a draft, just to make sure the seams all fit together.
I started up Daz Studio and did a quick render with the new textures. I didn't do the background however, that's just from my wallpaper collection.
Keep in mind that I haven't yet done the specularity maps, illumination maps, or normal maps. Any glow or reflection in this render is from the Daz Studio Material editor. Sort of a "Preview" of how it should look.

And for comparison, some cover-art from the 32x Box.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:21:22 am by Quanto »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've been following this thread for a while now. Nice to see so much work is already being put into it  :nod:

I personally like the more blocky feel of the Feather on the box art more then the rounded look you have going now though.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Quanto

Well
If you want a boxier look, I can always shut off the smooth shader.
However, I doubt Freespace would allow me to use flat face shading. As it is a MUCH older technology, and I doubt its included as part of the renderer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:21:38 am by Quanto »