Author Topic: What not to Become: ...  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
What not to Become: ...
I believe that when I post this thread, I speak for all of us within the Stellar Assault team that we absolutely abhor the idea that we might at some point in the future become a conglomerate of self-important, arrogant douche-holes.

AS SUCH,

I want you to see a conglomerate of self-serving, arrogant douche-holes:

http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18319

Should we ever become as such, I ask anyone to chime in convict us of such behavior, because it should not happen.

On behalf of the Stellar Assault Team,
-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Re: What not to Become: ...
Geez man, let it go. Never hold a grudge, it only leads to problems.

But in regard to that post. Agreed.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Ah, I hold no gudges - I merely hold it against them...

...oh wait.

:p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, being spoiled by more mod-friendly games is bad.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
That doesn't excuse them from being arrogant ass-hats right from square one.  Personally, **** those guys.  From those posts alone it's easy to see they have an antagonistic and degrading work environment.  Let them alone to swim in their own cesspool of elitism and conceit.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Quanto

I just want to make it clear that SAFSO, with exception of our art assets, is an open project, and any and all contributions will be accepted from the community at large.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Buh? I've seen plenty of arrogance and hostility in HLP forums and irc.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

But let's face it, Fury, most of it's from me!

Offline Quanto

Thats what I like about Battman, he knows he's a jerk, he just don't care.
I respect people who stand by their words.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I actually do kind of care.  :nervous: Sometimes I even feel bad.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

I can't speak for IRC, and don't really want to since I only seem to hear about it when the Drama Llamas are in town, but most of the hostility on HLP forums is survival mechanism when faced with crazy. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I concur with NGTM-1R, our asshattery is more in response to people being unreasonable.  I've yet to encounter a post where someone has been that rude to another member offering to help on a project.  Sure, we may say no, but the 'YOU CAN'T HELP US, YOU'D JUST SLOW US DOWN, YOU'RE A NOOB, GTFO MOFO!' response has yet to be rolled (though I am a noob to these forums myself, I haven't read everything that goes on here, so it's possible this happened and I missed it).  We've got more class than that.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Personally I find reading posts (not restricted to HLP) that are arrogant and unecessarily hostile in nature to be infuriating. There are exceptions like when NGTM-1R/esarai pointed out, but in my opinion, there's no excuse for behaving like a c@nt on a forum when turning the computer off and going outside or closing your internet browser and playing a vidoegame are feasible methods of relieving stress and pent up rage instead of spewing it in the form of 160 words typed per minute on a post.

Or whatever else compels people to behave like jerks for the sake of doing so.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
 yo yo omg, ur all nubs!1
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Spoon, you dirty 1337ist, cut that out!

But indeed, working with people, so long as the persons in question are making an effort to be helpful or understand the situation, is the least we can do on any forum. In general, HLP does that fairly well despite any gripes any one of us might have had in the past due to a confrontation, etc.

...Which is why we're here.  :)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

On a more casual basis, Confrontations happen, when human being gather in groups, there are bound to be differences in opinion that can even lead into massive rage-fests. But open hostility towards newcomers is never appropriate.

Offline -Norbert-

I concur with NGTM-1R, our asshattery is more in response to people being unreasonable.  I've yet to encounter a post where someone has been that rude to another member offering to help on a project.  Sure, we may say no, but the 'YOU CAN'T HELP US, YOU'D JUST SLOW US DOWN, YOU'RE A NOOB, GTFO MOFO!' response has yet to be rolled (though I am a noob to these forums myself, I haven't read everything that goes on here, so it's possible this happened and I missed it).  We've got more class than that.
Well... there was the whole IP Andrews incident, but that is the only incident in that direction I ever noticed over here or on the good old VWBB.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
What about Omniscraper and BTRL?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline -Norbert-

I didn't even know BTRL was on HLPBB.... I guess that must have happened before my time. I only really came here when TBP moved here, dragging me along.
And man, am I ever glad they pointed me in this direction :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It wasn't.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me