Poll

What Kind of Shields

Single Unified
21 (95.5%)
Quadrant Oriented
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: December 30, 2010, 11:36:47 pm

Author Topic: Shields in SAFSO - PUBLIC INPUT WANTED  (Read 11327 times)

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Shields in SAFSO - PUBLIC INPUT WANTED
Alright.
We're at a major crossroads in our gameplay conceptualization.
SHIELDS
This is where I stand. I want a simplified gameplay style, a newb friendly game essentially. To further that aim, I have been discussing with Andy, and Thaeris about just what kind of Shield we should have, and how it affects the HUD.

In the Original Games, there was a Unified shield, NO QUADRANTS, and a single power bar to indicate the strength of that shield.
I want SAFSO to do the same thing. But I know that Hardcore PC Space Shooter fans would probably disagree with that idea.

So the question is this.

• Do we use a Unified Shield with a single Percentage Bar to indicate it's strength?

• Or should we use a traditional FS-Style Spherical Quadrant Indicator? With Quadrant oriented Shields?

Post your opinions here please!
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Shields in SAFSO - PUBLIC INPUT WANTED
Since your going on the newb-friendly approach, I'd suggest using the unified shielding.

Unified shielding means that the user does not have to fool around with transferring energy during the middle of a dogfight, which is highly beneficial to defenders in that they don't have to move their hands around quickly to punch the transfer energy key.

Conceptually, unified shield makes sense to me for the Shadow Squadron (they're supposed to be the razor's edge in star craft technology), because the energy transferring would be completely controlled by the  craft computer. Canon could be made up for the universe to the extent that split shields where common on older craft, but due to the increasing demands/needs by the pilots, the unified shielding was made standard.

Lastly, in my opinion quad- shields are a bit too much for an FSO newb (such as myself :P) so if you had to lean towards split shields I'd suggest using bi-directional shields (forward/aft) instead. About the only thing that could be beneficial from split shields vs. unified is the "oh $%&#, my rear shields are down" element.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You could have four-part shields that autofocus.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I assume that "autofocus" means that the shield automatically equalizes after each hit...

If this is the case, I'm for it. Furthermore, if there's a few millisecond delay on this, it means that whoever is attacking a target from one side specifically is able to concentrate their firepower on target, they might be able to punch through the shield and hit the target hull directly. If done properly, that might make for some interesting gameplay.

Lastly, I assume such a shield could be applied on a ship-to-ship basis, meaning that if we are ever to have shielded capitol ships, their shield quadrants would remain un-unified if so desired.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Quanto

We'll never have Shielded capships, thats a guarantee.
Not that they won't be shielded in canon, but I think shields would make the capships ingame a bit too strong. And the reality is this, in Stellar Assault; Fighters/Bombers are king, capships are merely a means in which the fighters are moved from one point to another.

And I wouldn't mind doing auto-focusing sheilds if the indicator itself didn't actually show them focusing or even being split.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

ynot

Makes it fun to fly under the shield and strafe the hull.

Offline Quanto

ynot

It would have to be a REALLY big shield. Cause remember, these fighters are 3-5 times faster than Freespace fighters.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

ynot

Not at 300+ m/s, where if you scrape the hull, your chances of survival are minimal at best.

:P
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

ynot

Not at 300+ m/s, where if you scrape the hull, your chances of survival are minimal at best. I
 :P

If all the players suck, maybe, but 300+ m/s is not that far off from the speeds most of us are used to flying at. It would only get tricky with horrible damp values.

ynot

It would have to be a REALLY big shield. Cause remember, these fighters are 3-5 times faster than Freespace fighters.

Same goes. And no they're not, at least not all FS fighters.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Most of us fly less than 100m/s in FSO, do not have full control of thruster movements, and do not deal with drift in flight. As most of the ships would have a pretty small shield, yes, there would be a substantial chance of grazing a ship hull.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Most of us fly less than 100m/s in FSO, do not have full control of thruster movements, and do not deal with drift in flight. As most of the ships would have a pretty small shield, yes, there would be a substantial chance of grazing a ship hull.

All the better! A new skill to develop.

But if you really don't want it okay.

Offline Quanto

All the better! A new skill to develop.

But if you really don't want it okay.
If you really want to discuss the idea of Capship Shields, I can respectfully split the topic and we can discuss it in depth, but again, the goal behind SAFSO is to create the "Counter-Strike" or "Soul Calibur" of Space Shooters. Not the "Arma II" or "Virtua Fighter" of Space Shooters.
Capship Shields would add a level of difficulty and simulation that I have a feeling many newcomers to the Genre would have difficulty wrapping their heads around. A lot like shield quadrants.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that capship shields could be added as an almost cosmetic addition, with their regeneration rates next to none and rather minimal stenght (so disabing subsystems would be easier), along with lack of any kind of quadrants for them. That would allow SAFSO to stick with canon and maintain simplicity at the same time. Anti subsystem weapons could be set to go throught shielding or deal a lot of damage to it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Single Unified or just auto adjusting is the way to go imho
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
I by far prefer quadrant based shields, so you aren't screwed by multi-angled attacks. Why are you trying to make it harder than it already is?

...of course, I'm the only one with this opinion, because I'm the guy who actually created the game balance and knows the implications of doing something like that.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, go for the unified shield.
It will make new player's life easier indeed.
el hombre vicio...

Offline -Norbert-

I don't think hitting Q after every few hits is going to overwhelm any new players.
But if the original game had unified shields and capship shields, I think the mod should have them that way too.

On that note: What happened to the "smart shields" option in the launcher? I remember it being there in the past, but now it's gone.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter

On that note: What happened to the "smart shields" option in the launcher? I remember it being there in the past, but now it's gone.

It's an ai profiles flag now.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I vote for unified shields. I almost never augment any particular shield, so having to keep hitting "equalize" instead is just a waste of time and effort. :)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
If having unified shielding becomes too big of an issue, a possible compromise is to have the shield energy "full on at any angle."

Meaning, the shield energy is not dispersed evenly around the shield, but instead is used up as the shield is taking hits-in the direction of the attack. Shield energy would then not be transferred, it's just instantly there...

:confused:

Hope you understood that better than I did? Not too good in the morning with words...
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.