Author Topic: Atop the Colossus there is a great and mighty. . . Laser turret?  (Read 7754 times)

Re: Atop the Colossus there is a great and mighty. . . Laser turret?
That's better already. Get it down to 58% in 1 shot and it'll be okay.
:wtf:
No really Hades, something must be wrong. Check out the tables on the Wiki if you don't believe us. An LRBGreen should take out 42% of a Ravana, no more, no less. 100% - 42% = 58%

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hold on there is no beam cannon in game that can take out a destroyer such as the ravana or the Hecate in one shot. That much i know for sure. For a LRBgreen to do that kind of dammage then the Collie should of take out the Sath in what 2 shots 3 shots from its beam cannons??

Also it is important to note the fact that the most powerfull beam cannon in game is the BFRed and depending of the circumstances 4 of those blasted things cant take out a Hecate. I believe the Phoenicia is left with something like 1%life altough i believe that to be some sort of fluke random thing.

Something is definetly wrong with those beam cannons there.

EVERY BEAM CANNON the GTVA HAS is weaker then the shivan beam cannons. Well most of them at least. There are some rare exceptions.

Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
The most damage per shot any beam cannon does is the BFRed, which does 80000 damage.  The Ravana has 100000 hitpoints, so there is no way any beam cannon could take it out in one shot.  I could see why it might happen if your are cheating your primaries to beams though, as each bank on your fighter has at least two firepoints, so it will effectively be two or four beams you are shooting.

And on the Phonecia, on salvo from the Sathanas's four BFReds is more than enough to take out the Hecate three times over.  I think it is left at 1% because of ship-guardian or something.

Offline eliex

And on the Phonecia, on salvo from the Sathanas's four BFReds is more than enough to take out the Hecate three times over.  I think it is left at 1% because of ship-guardian or something.

Nah, it might be a glitch but for me, whenever a capital ship starts jumping to subspace, it can't take anymore damage unlike a normal fighter.

Offline Kie99

The Phoenecia is protected by a ship-guardian flag.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
That's strange. Occasionally, the Phoenicia gets destroyed for me.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Hmm...I looked at the mission, and the Phoenicia does not have any sort of ship-guardian.  It is only beam-protected for the first six seconds of the mission, and it departs when its hull is at 4% (at which point it is dead anyway), so why it remains at 1% is a mystery.

There's an event that throws a ship-guardian on the Phoenicia after the Sathanas opens fire.  Problem is, the event is set to trigger when the Phoenicia's hull reaches a very specific value (the mission's author used an equal-to operator instead of a less-than operator) which is occasionally skipped right over because of the rate that three to four of the Sathanas' beams can pump out damage.  As a result, sometimes the Phoencia lives, and sometimes it dies.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i got this in my version of Their Finest Hour using the 3.6.10 tables
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
So Schrodinger's Phoenicia occurs because of framerate clashing with event triggers?
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't think so. There has to be some sort of delay before the Phoenicia jumps out. When it gets hit head-on by the Sathanas, it's hull drops like crazy, doesn't it? It probably dropped so fast that, in that moment between the point where the event-true delay is called and the ship-depart order is given, the Phoenicia took a bit more damage.

There's an event that throws a ship-guardian on the Phoenicia after the Sathanas opens fire.  Problem is, the event is set to trigger when the Phoenicia's hull reaches a very specific value (the mission's author used an equal-to operator instead of a less-than operator) which is occasionally skipped right over because of the rate that three to four of the Sathanas' beams can pump out damage.  As a result, sometimes the Phoencia lives, and sometimes it dies.

I don't think it has anything to do with the framerate. However, if the Sathanas fires its beams such that the Phoenicia takes so much damage that it actually skips the 4% hull integrity mark...you get a toast Hecate. I've experienced this before when I was making a remake of Slaying Ravana. In my mission, I set the events such that a Demon-class destroyer would jump in when the hull integrity of the Ravana is exactly 42%. However, if the Ravana gets hit by a Cyclops at the right time, such that the Ravana's hull drops from, say, 43% to 39% in a single hit, the arrival cue event will always remain false and the Demon will not jump in at all.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I don't think so. There has to be some sort of delay before the Phoenicia jumps out. When it gets hit head-on by the Sathanas, it's hull drops like crazy, doesn't it? It probably dropped so fast that, in that moment between the point where the event-true delay is called and the ship-depart order is given, the Phoenicia took a bit more damage.

I don't think it has anything to do with the framerate. However, if the Sathanas fires its beams such that the Phoenicia takes so much damage that it actually skips the 4% hull integrity mark...you get a toast Hecate. I've experienced this before when I was making a remake of Slaying Ravana. In my mission, I set the events such that a Demon-class destroyer would jump in when the hull integrity of the Ravana is exactly 42%. However, if the Ravana gets hit by a Cyclops at the right time, such that the Ravana's hull drops from, say, 43% to 39% in a single hit, the arrival cue event will always remain false and the Demon will not jump in at all.

A Demon in slaying Ravana? I want that mission!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
A Demon in slaying Ravana? I want that mission!
Click here. It's not complete though.

Here's the post that came with it...

Actually, I was thinking that the Ravana really should have twice the hull strength than it has now. In my remake of the Slaying Ravana mission, I pitted a GTVA fleet against a Shivan one.

The Shivan fleet consisted of about 24 fighters, the Ravana, a Moloch, a Rakshasa and a Lilith, with an additional Demon as backup.

The GTVA fleet consisted of the Psamtik, Aquitaine, two Sobeks, a Mentu, 8 bombers and 8 fighters.

Without protecting or making the Ravana invulnerable, it goes down in less than five minutes, along with the rest of the Shivan fleet.

I've got the mission attached to this post. I'm not too sure that this is the right place to put it, but I think it really does show that, against a GTVA fleet, a Shivan fleet of equal size is no match.

By the way, make sure that you check through the mission in FRED. I think my Protect events (as well as Invulnerability SEXP triggers) are still there.

One more thing. We're going off-topic. :nervous:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Sweet, thankees. I'd love to play it when it is complete.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That's the problem, see. The mission is pretty much done up, except for the debriefing and some redundant dialog which I haven't thought of. However, I'm quite busy these few days and cannot spare the time to do up the debriefs.
My blog

MP-Ryan

That's the problem, see. The mission is pretty much done up, except for the debriefing and some redundant dialog which I haven't thought of. However, I'm quite busy these few days and cannot spare the time to do up the debriefs.

Yeah, it certainly seemed quite stable. I definitely got a kick outta that. I'll definitely be playing that in the future. Nice job!

Offline eliex

Sorry for keep on derailing the topic but . . .

Anyway, I FREDed a situation exactly like in the mission that features the Phoenicia, without any events . . . and well, my conclusion is that when a destroyer class ship or higher starts to jump out, when it speeds up and then the blue portal appears ( excuse me for my poor description ) it is impossible to take any more damage.  :)

Sorry for keep on derailing the topic but . . .

Anyway, I FREDed a situation exactly like in the mission that features the Phoenicia, without any events . . . and well, my conclusion is that when a destroyer class ship or higher starts to jump out, when it speeds up and then the blue portal appears ( excuse me for my poor description ) it is impossible to take any more damage.  :)

But only with destroyers. I've nailed corvettes and smaller dozens of times whilst they jump out.