Author Topic: ATI Owners: Upgrade to catalyst 8.5 series  (Read 2204 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
ATI Owners: Upgrade to catalyst 8.5 series
Since I know several other people around here have ATI cards, and many of them older cards in the 9xxx series, I figured I'd post this.

There is a noticeable performance increase in the Catalyst 8.5 series of drivers from ATI under OpenGL, especially on older cards (in the 5-10 fps range during large battles).  Any users with a 9800Pro or below would be well advised to upgrade.

As always, use the driver-only installation package and download ATI Tray Tools to configure the graphics settings for the driver.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: ATI Owners: Upgrade to catalyst 8.5 series
Is this just with FS?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Is this just with FS?

Doesn't appear to be.  It boosted rates in D3D for HL2 as well.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Hmm...I'm curious how this holds up against older Catalyst drivers, especially versions 4.11, 5.11, and 6.3 (and a few between 4.11 and 5.11). I have long used the 5.11 on my PC as later Catalyst builds started slowing down the card significantly.

Radeon 9800 Pro, here.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Hmm...I'm curious how this holds up against older Catalyst drivers, especially versions 4.11, 5.11, and 6.3 (and a few between 4.11 and 5.11). I have long used the 5.11 on my PC as later Catalyst builds started slowing down the card significantly.

Radeon 9800 Pro, here.

Personally, I've found the series 8 Catalysts to be a significant performance booster over the 6's.  I'm running a 9500Pro in this old beastie.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

Radeon 9800 Pro, here.

Personally, I've found the series 8 Catalysts to be a significant performance booster over the 6's.  I'm running a 9500Pro in this old beastie.
I win! 9550 Pro!... Oh wait...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
X300.  Phear my rendering power. :p

I'll have to give this a whirl; maybe I can eke a few more FPS out of this fossil.

Offline CZZ

Hi

I got a Radeon X1950XTX PCI-Ex16  - is this ok for what I need re FS gaming. It appears to work well but any hints on tweaking for FS would be appreciated? :confused:

If this is a dumb questions - just smak me down...bouys!!

:)Czz

Stay Cool. Hang Loose, Admit Nothing!!!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Odd. I get a huge performance boost for stock Homeworld 2, but for BtRL, I'm now getting missing textures on some polys on asteroids, and I'm geting those textures on random planes, and on top of that, my FPS actually dropped about 10 to 20 for that game.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Hi

I got a Radeon X1950XTX PCI-Ex16  - is this ok for what I need re FS gaming. It appears to work well but any hints on tweaking for FS would be appreciated? :confused:

If this is a dumb questions - just smak me down...bouys!!

:)Czz

That is overkill by at least fivefold. My 9550, less than 1/20 of your card, runs the AdVPs fine.

TL;DR: Yes, that card is fine.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Odd. I get a huge performance boost for stock Homeworld 2, but for BtRL, I'm now getting missing textures on some polys on asteroids, and I'm geting those textures on random planes, and on top of that, my FPS actually dropped about 10 to 20 for that game.

There's a stickied thread in the tech help forum about that over on Game-Warden.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

There's a stickied thread in the tech help forum about that over on Game-Warden.

Awesome. Thanks. :)