Author Topic: Question about usage of community assets  (Read 1570 times)

Question about usage of community assets
Hello everyone, long time lurker here but finally decided to register and post.
Anyways, besides the awesomeness of Freespace and the HLP community  :D I have a question?
I'm writing a Fanfic crossover where one of the universes is Freespace and since the timeline is a few years after Capella there are bound to exist new ships, weapons, etc, are there objections in using ships created by the community?
I'm not downloading files, just using the names and describing the ship in itself.

Thanks in advanced.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Re: Question about usage of community assets
From what I understand, so long as you give credit and don't use them for commercial purposes, you're fine.
Stuff

Figured as such. I had my doubts because I'm not downloading the files, I'm just using their description and names. But no problem  :p
I just have to credit them once right?

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I think it would be a good idea to have a 'Credits' page on the end of your story and have entries like this:
[ship/weapon/something name] concept - [ship author], hard-light.net
for example. And yes, I think it whould suffice to do this just once. Many bigger FSO mods stuff their credits into, well, credits section. Eventually these are also mentioned right in the end of the mods campaign (in a cutscene).

There was some discussion about licensing modded assets and mods some time ago and a shoutout to the community to start including licenses with their mods, so some might have them, but I don't think there's more to it than "Just credit me if you use this (for non-commercial purposes)".
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

There was some discussion about licensing modded assets and mods some time ago and a shoutout to the community to start including licenses with their mods, so some might have them, but I don't think there's more to it than "Just credit me if you use this (for non-commercial purposes)".

Just because the SEO of this thread title might see it found by others in the future, the only caveat I would add to this statement is that it generally will only apply to FSO based projects. Several of the more prolific asset creators (myself included) are not keen on ships being ported to other engines without permission being granted first, non-commerciality notwithstanding. Though this doesn't apply to every model, and some asset creators are fine with it.

But to Rising Fenix's specific question, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with ship names and descriptions in a normal fanfic.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

OK then a credit page in the end should be enough.  :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just because the SEO of this thread title might see it found by others in the future, the only caveat I would add to this statement is that it generally will only apply to FSO based projects. Several of the more prolific asset creators (myself included) are not keen on ships being ported to other engines without permission being granted first, non-commerciality notwithstanding. Though this doesn't apply to every model, and some asset creators are fine with it.

Everything in Diaspora was released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. I strongly encourage other modders to do the same but if they don't want to, I think they should at least decide exactly what licence they want their stuff to be released under. We've had several cases where who owns what has been an issue, and it's a good idea to decide that sort of thing ahead of time. There's no reason you can't say everything is under a CC licence with respect to anything FS2 related and under a different licence for other engines.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]