Author Topic: Bobboau Birthday Build (Fun new features)  (Read 14992 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Bobboau Birthday Build (Fun new features)
Three somewhat large changes:
  • HUD.tbl no longer used; images are read directly from ships.tbl
  • Music.tbl is now modular
  • Added hud_gauges.tbl

hud_gauges.tbl format:
(Default values for 640x480 used)
Code: [Select]

#Main Gauges

$Resolution: (640 480)
$Player Shield: (396 379)
$Target Shield: (142 379)
$Shield Mini: (0 291)
+Size: (31 21)
+Percentage: (50 0)
+Image: targhit1
$Afterburner Energy: (171 265)
+Image: energy2
$Weapons Energy: (416 265)

#End

#Gauges

$Gauge: Shield Mini
$Text Base: (305 298)
$Text 2 Digit: (307 298) ;Where to place damage text when it's at 10 through 99
$Text 1 Digit: (311 298) ;...0 through 9
#End

Someone wiki this...
All coordinates are in the form of (x, y). Units are pixels unless explicitly mentioned in this text

#Main Gauges
This contains/will contain the various HUD elements listed in the HUD configuration screen.

$Resolution denotes a resolution. Enter in coordinate format the resolution x and y, ie (1024 768). If you want to specify a default template, use (0 0)
Next are the individual hud elements. All of these are optional, and the volition defaults will be used if one is not specified. The coordinates to the right of the name are the location that element will be placed. (Obviously these won't matter/be required for something that moves, like the lead indicator.)
Under each element are 3 optional fields:
+Size: Size of the element in coordinate-format. This may be used within the code, so if you specify a custom image, USE this.
+Percentage: Percentage of the screen to place the HUD element. If size is not specified, the the upper-left corner will be placed at the specified location. Otherwise, the center of the object will be placed at the location. Floating point numbers are acceptable.
+Image: If an image or ani is used, this image will be substituted for the volition default. If you experience problems with a HUD element you have specified the image for, set the size parameter with the size of this image.

Gauges
These are sub-elements of the different main gauges. Specify a resolution, like in main gauges, then use $Gauge: Gauge Name to specify the Gauge.
At this point you can set the sub-element coordinates/images in the same way as a Main Gauge.

Teh Build
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 10:51:50 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ooh! This'd be awesome for TVWP... :drevil:

Edit: Fix the guage resolution... (7480)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WMCoolmon

Fix0red...not like it really matters. ;) You won't see any change if you use that table :p

What specific gauges are you interested in seeing moved? I can prioritize those. (I'd like a smaller list than "all of them", if possible. :p)
-C

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Link is broken.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Oh and BTW is it possible to adjust EVERYTHING in the hud with the gauge table?

Offline WMCoolmon

Fixed link. Also, I don't think you need to add the file extension for Images.

Re: everything in the table, Not yet.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you run this build w/o a hud_gauges.tbl it won't work. This will be fixed in the next build.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 11:20:33 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The radar, the weapon dropdown boxes, etc. etc.

and make it on a per-ship basis, PLEASE :D

you could set up sooo cool cockpits with this if you could individually set it for all ships.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Anaz

IIRC, in some discussions it was determined that these should use a floating-point number for the start position, that would be scaled according to the resolution, so something in the middle of the screen would be at 0.5, 0.5, and you'd multiply by the xsize/ysize to get the value of the actual position.

Just my $0.02 USD
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, that was the intent behind the percentage value - same idea, just multiplied by 100. It makes more sense IMHO.

I can set the positioning any way people like, but it should be decided *soon*, before people start making tables.
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

New build - this one adds per-ship HUDs.

Sample file:
Code: [Select]

#Main Gauges

#End

#Gauges

#End

#Ship Main Gauges

$Ship: GTF Ulysses

#End

#Ship Gauges

$Ship: GTF Ulysses
#End

I haven't bugtested this build very thoroughly at all, I just got it working with the training mission. :p It fixes a small bug or two, I think.

Anyway...I'm done coding for tonight. Lightspeed, eat your heart out. :p
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You are getting better day by day!! Now, it doesn't quit right in the middle of a mission(by accidentally targeting a debris, or because it simply has mood to,), it doesn't start up at all.  :yes:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Is all of this in CVS?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
I can set the positioning any way people like, but it should be decided *soon*, before people start making tables.
Here's my idea: Add full support for all the gauges by specifying exact coordinates, but *only* for 640x480.  The game will automatically adjust the coordinates for the other resolutions.

This way people can have the exactitute of specifying absolute pixel coordinates, but the gauges will still be scaled for alternate resolutions.  I think doing it by percentages would eventually get far too confusing.

As a bonus, all the values would be integers, so you wouldn't get floating-point slowdown.

Offline WMCoolmon

Goober, I thought about that, but then you have the problem of what happens if you place two gauges beside each other. When the resolution got to 1280, you'd have a pixel or two between the two elements.

kasperl, the stuff in this build is not in CVS. I had to make changes to more stuff than just hudparse.cpp and used pointers extensively and didn't do much testing/checking.

TopAce, I did a little checking and found the bug: I didn't post the new build link. ;)
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/fs2_open_Cex.zip

You won't see any change if you run it w/o hud_gauges.
-C

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Make it so you can set the radar display and all beautifull stuff ;7
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I hope it will support the Orb™.
Awsome work!
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think everything should be in percentages, we can write a tool for editiing the table later and it would be easier and more acurate if everything is in percentagas

with regards to the ship specific thing, I think there should be a defalt HUD and then a list of specalised HUDs, then linking specalised huds to there ships via ether index or a name given to the HUD entry, you'd have an array of HUDs just like we do for ships and stuff, wich HUD is assosiated with wich ship would be an index in the ship_info structure, defalt position 0.

if we get this working I'll try makeing a HUD.tbl editor (if no one else does)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Awesome! Per-ship hds... and a tool to set it up?! *droolz on keyboard*

*BAAZZZZZAAAAPPP!!!*

Ouch...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by Lightspeed
Make it so you can set the radar display and all beautifull stuff ;7

How about something simpler...like the auto-target gauge? :p

BTW, for CVS users, the code I updated to CVS doesn't work right...I'll clear it up ASAP.
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
OK - first off, this is awesome news! Something I know I (and others by the looks of things) have wanted for a very long time - Per ship modifiable HUDs... awesome!

But, a few Questions

1. Can we use different Sized Anis?
2. Can we add new guages? (I realize the answer to this is probably a very definite no at this point, as they would need to have something to display, but perhaps for future revisions a simple counter setup, or the display of a mission defined variable or FRED numerical returner (eg. Time, position x, distance etc.), or even just flashing/static images controlled by sexp could be used? If there's no controlling sexp, the image is simply displayed as a static HUD element like the crosshairs).
3. Would it be possible to eventually set it up for total modularity, ie. all guages moveable? I understand limiting it for testing purposes, or because it's a lot of work, but I reckon total changability is an admirable goal.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp