Author Topic: 20040822 build - *includes pilot changes*  (Read 16022 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
20040822 build - *includes pilot changes*
Originally posted by ubermetroid
Things I notice, when a high poly frenis jumps in game the FPS drops from 120 to 42 and then after a few seconds goes back to 120.

I think it's just shifing the textures around in memory so there isn't a lot that can be done about that at the moment.

alt-tab to other programs does not work. I used to alt-tab to fred to work on my missions, but if I alt-tab out, I can not get back to FS2.

alt-tab is pretty messed up in D3D but are you trying it in OpenGL mode?  Alt-Tab in OGL works fine (for me at least) so that may be an option until the D3D problem is worked out.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by taylor

That's the problem with the textures disappearing right?  I see the Mantis bug, does it happen in OGL too?  I'll a look at this as soon as I can.

Not just textures. It can crash because it doesnt find the briefing icons, an interface graphic as well. OR the fonts vanish. It can be ANY file it tries to load that suddenly can't be found anymore.

Also, a request for the future: commandline "-ani_preload" loads all animated textures needed for a mission before starting it (since loading ANIs on the fly can cause weird stuttering)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Originally posted by taylor
alt-tab is pretty messed up in D3D but are you trying it in OpenGL mode?  Alt-Tab in OGL works fine (for me at least) so that may be an option until the D3D problem is worked out.

I will try openGL when I get home.  Good idea.  :D
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline übermetroid

• He who dares wins.
At home and testing SCP.  And I get a CTD when it tries to load a mission.

I'm back to using DX....  :(

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Did you try the -novbo command line?  Its almost essential for playing under OGL.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline übermetroid

• He who dares wins.
I just testing ed out, and it does run, and I might say almost looks better (all the effects are "cleaner") but..  The FPS maxes out at 29.9!  What happened to my 120 fps?

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
sounds like a framecap...

Well, it did indeed reset my pilot scores, but alas i did have like 14 or 15 of them... And all the good ones wouldn't work in FSO anyways... Still, it is a great advancement...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Hippo,

You know by now that making a new pilot IS ESSENTIAL when trying out new .exe's

I name mine after the build to keep them out of another build's path.

Right now my fearless Taylor 208 just met Colossus for the fist time.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I believe one of the main ideas of Taylor's build is to prevent us from having to make new pilots all the time.  IIRC the idea is that we make a new pilot for this build and don't have to again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hey, got a bug to report that it's somehow related with your build:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26751.0.html
as karajorma told me, and I too think it's best, I posted this here, in the hopes that maybe this can help with more bugs too, since mine alone isn't anything special...
The bug in question is: every time I exit the game (no Alt-Tabs), it crashes, leaving the screen all black with only the fs mouse pointer visible. I press Ctrl-Alt-Del and close the game from there, which BTW windows tells me it's not responding. After this, a note appears telling "Failed to read flag file" and jumps to the Open 5.0, with the Details sector all blank, no graphics no nothing...
All this only came to happen after I installed your builds so...
All my system info is in the thread-link in the beggining of this post.
MURPHY'S LAWS OF COMBAT OPERATIONS:
4. You are not Superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note.
7. Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
12. If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
13. The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
20. The easy way is always mined.
21. Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
24. If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
76. A Purple Heart just proves that you were smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
79. The bursting radius of a hand grenade is always one foot greater than your jumping range.  
81. The crucial round is a dud.
84. Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last and don't ever volunteer to do anything.
89. The more stupid the leader is, the more important missions he is ordered to carry out.

For a complete list of Murphy's Laws of Combat Ops -> http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-war.html

Alright, I've managed to "solve the problem" with crashing. Previously, thanks to StratComm valuable suggestion, I went to the Properties of the FS2 Open and switched it to Win 98/ME compability and afterwards, without experimenting, got your builds, thanks to karajorma. All this solved my issues, including the fact that in de-briefs, the button to pass to the next point (A-to-B) was "dead", it did nothing, so I had to "jump" to the end and see all the objectives. At the end of the game, when I would exit, it would crash. I worked it out with Ctrl-Alt-Del, so no worries. However, I experimented "turning off" the compability thingy and it no longer crashes at the exit. Unfortunately, the de-briefings are back to the beggining, with having to jump everyones to the end...
Just thought that it would be best if I left this here too...
MURPHY'S LAWS OF COMBAT OPERATIONS:
4. You are not Superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note.
7. Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
12. If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
13. The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
20. The easy way is always mined.
21. Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
24. If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
76. A Purple Heart just proves that you were smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
79. The bursting radius of a hand grenade is always one foot greater than your jumping range.  
81. The crucial round is a dud.
84. Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last and don't ever volunteer to do anything.
89. The more stupid the leader is, the more important missions he is ordered to carry out.

For a complete list of Murphy's Laws of Combat Ops -> http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-war.html

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Yes, i know you're supposed to create a new one, i simply backed up my old ones, and dropped a copy of them in to see what would happen...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline magatsu1

is there any version of FRED best suited to this build ? or does it not matter ?
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Ugh.  Despite all the warnings, I screwed up backing up my pilot because I got confused switching saved games back and forth.

The game looks amazing now.  However, for some reason in my current game, secondary weapons no longer get armed ever.  I'm on the 'covert ops' missions.  When I restored my backed up pilot they returned.  [but then I copied my more recent saves over that and the secondaries were gone again.]  Even after playing several missions, the secondaries never seem to come back.

Also, trying to use DirectX, the game crashes when I try to resume my campaign.  The engine works beautifully in OpenGL, but interface transparency seems to be screwed up [it's like this in every SCP build I've tried.]  Displays like the tip of the day or pause screen result in the pop-up, but then a blue background covering up everything else.  I could screenshot it if it would be useful.

Anything I can do to help or fix my campaign without starting over?

edit: forgot specs

Athlon 2200+ [running at 1.4 gig due to defective ram]
512 MB DD SDRAM [won't clock at the proper rating]
Sapphire Radeon 9500 [latest official drivers, fixed other OpenGL errors]
WinXP
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 07:42:54 am by 2207 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You'll need to make a new pilot to use this build. Hopefully with these changes it will be the last time we need to make a new pilot just cause we're using a new build.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by greycellgreen
Ugh.  Despite all the warnings, I screwed up backing up my pilot because I got confused switching saved games back and forth.

Getting all of the savefiles converted over is a bit tedious but I haven't really found a way around that.  Hopefully it should never be a problem again though.  Converted pilots should work fine without having to create a new one just for this build *but* if your pilot already has some corruption in it then there is no way that it can be handled properly.  This can give the problems with the secondary weapons never getting armed.  I encountered this during testing of all of the pilot changes but it's not an easy thing to get around in the code.  You can try hitting the Reset button on the weapon loadout screen but that doesn't always work.  If you really want to use this pilot and not an older backup then PM me and we'll try and work something out.

Also, trying to use DirectX, the game crashes when I try to resume my campaign.

I have been able to get this in OpenGL as well.  I'm changing the code to be a bit more protective regarding errors and to give more feedback when the loading code won't let you do anything.  That's one of the reason's this code isn't in CVS.  Well that and a lot of work related stuff as well as a little hurricane that blew through here earlier this week taking down half of my computer equipment and power and internet connection, couple of problematic trees, etc. :(  All is working again now but I'm playing catch up.

The engine works beautifully in OpenGL, but interface transparency seems to be screwed up [it's like this in every SCP build I've tried.]  Displays like the tip of the day or pause screen result in the pop-up, but then a blue background covering up everything else.  I could screenshot it if it would be useful.

A lot of people seem to be having trouble with ATI cards and OpenGL.  I plan on looking at this at some point but it's pretty far down on my list at the moment since FRED2 has priority.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 01:12:30 am by 1252 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Apparently, the upcoming Cat 4.9 drivers improve OGL performance, with Doom3 in mind, but its possible that some of these improvements could carry over to FSO OGL.  Now, this will probably not support shinemaps, but some have reported shinemapping working in OGL mode with post-4.4 Cat drivers, so the 2 could go well togther, for people with poorer ATI cards, who use OGL mode consistantly.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Tepa

• http://www.darkwing-squad.com
ok i tryed this build in multi and saw enemy AIs doing unbeliaveable stuff like realistic physics...
so moved back to older build.....restorin old pilot from backups
--------
forgot say keep the good work.
most of the probs are most likely caused by my very old fs2 install
dated 2001 :rolleyes: or just too good comp
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 09:44:51 am by 1964 »
Ensign forever
DW-Tepanator
I need to fill my inflated EGO can someone lend me a pump.

Umm...this build is great...except the jump nodes are invisible now.

Offline Svizel

• http://165thbdhr.com
Do you have mv_core_b.vp? If not get it or try to find different (and imho better) jump node model which was posted in SCP forum some time ago...
...but what do i know, i'm just Drunk.
Proud deck swabber of BDHR,
tamed monkey of TeamWars admin team.