Author Topic: 20041106 build  (Read 18084 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

Perhaps a GF FX5200 or a Radeon 9200 would work then, as they both have PCI versions IIRC.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline c_n00b

looks like that card needs at least 250w though...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Ach, buy a new PSU; should be able to get one for about, I dunno, £20-£40 if you shop around :)

Not too pricey, in other words.  Depends how many bells & whistles you want with it (super quiet or that sort of rubbish).

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
I wouldn't go any lower than 400W though.  If you want to save a few bucks, go for Fortron.  They're basically Antec power supplies sold at a lower price.

btw, does this build muck with the brightness on other machines?  Granted, the last build I ran was the 20040822 build (which ran perfectly fine)  When I run this build, its like I set the brightness/contrast to zero.  When I exit FS2_Open, windows is the same way.  I have to restart windows just to get the brightness/contrast back to where its supposed to be.  Even if I set my monitor's b/c to 100%, its still too dark.  The 11/02 build has the exact same bug.

command line options:
-spec -glow -d3dmipmap -ship_choice_3d -nomotiondebris -orbradar -d3d_no_vsync -nobeampierce -fps

XP SP2
Athlon XP 2800+
Leadtek K7NCR18D Pro (latest drivers)
512MB PC2700 (2x 256 in dual channel mode)
PNY Geforce 4 Ti4600 (128MB DDR) running the 61.77 dets
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 03:03:49 pm by 215 »
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline bigo

About the weird warp bug,  I changed my fov setting (-fov) in the command line to .55 (I don't think the value has anything to do with it.)
and it fixed the cut off warp image bug and the trekkie looking one.  It's still in 2d, but it doesn't look so funny.
Would someone else try this out, just to make sure I'm not crazy?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Vertigo1
btw, does this build muck with the brightness on other machines?  Granted, the last build I ran was the 20040822 build (which ran perfectly fine)  When I run this build, its like I set the brightness/contrast to zero.  When I exit FS2_Open, windows is the same way.  I have to restart windows just to get the brightness/contrast back to where its supposed to be.  Even if I set my monitor's b/c to 100%, its still too dark.  The 11/02 build has the exact same bug.

Using OpenGL it has changed the way the gamma is set and the default is really dark.    It deffinitely shouldn't still be dark when you exit the game though.  You can try setting the gamma slider in the options to 1.00 which will disable any visual change.  If you are using D3D then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Offline bigo

Disregard my last post!  
In my excitement I failed to test that properly!:wtf:

When I played a mission I was greated by a very out of place Trek looking thing.

I think I'll leave the troubleshooting to those  much olde and wiser than myself.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by taylor

Using OpenGL it has changed the way the gamma is set and the default is really dark.    It deffinitely shouldn't still be dark when you exit the game though.  You can try setting the gamma slider in the options to 1.00 which will disable any visual change.  If you are using D3D then I'm not sure what the problem is.

*smacks forehead*

I am using OpenGL.  However, the gamma slider has zero effect on anything.  It remains dark no matter what I do.

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I am using OpenGL.  However, the gamma slider has zero effect on anything.  It remains dark no matter what I do.

Strange, I've got the same card and have not had a problem.  Make sure you've set the slider to 1.00 and then accept the changes, exit the game and restart your computer.  If it still goes dark after you try the game again then I'm not quite sure what's going on.  You could try updating the video drivers just in case.  If that doesn't help any let me know.

Maybe you can try to activate "Disable D3D Gamma" in the Launcher.
It's under "Troubleshoot".
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Overlord
Maybe you can try to activate "Disable D3D Gamma" in the Launcher.
It's under "Troubleshoot".

Good idea, wish I had thought of it when I made the gamma code change. ;)  I just changed it last night to respect that setting for OpenGL but in this build it doesn't help any.  I also changed it to reset to the no change default (1.0) when you exit and use the same registry setting as D3D.  This will hopefully fix it all the way though I honestly don't know how it got through testing.  I still think a driver issue may have attributed to the severity of Vertigo1's problem but it shouldn't be an issue in future builds.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by taylor

Good idea, wish I had thought of it when I made the gamma code change. ;)  I just changed it last night to respect that setting for OpenGL but in this build it doesn't help any.  I also changed it to reset to the no change default (1.0) when you exit and use the same registry setting as D3D.  This will hopefully fix it all the way though I honestly don't know how it got through testing.  I still think a driver issue may have attributed to the severity of Vertigo1's problem but it shouldn't be an issue in future builds.

As for it being a driver issue, I seriously doubt it.  I even rolled back to the previous set of drivers and this build still had the same gamma issues.  Even the default Microsoft GF4 driver made no difference.  However, none of this explains why the 8/22 build doesn't have this trouble so its obviously not my end.

Setting gamma to 1.0 made little difference, other than I have to set b/c to nearly 80 just to see anything like its supposed to be.

Perhaps if I were to test that new build to see if the problem disappears?

I seem to be having a little trouble with this build.  In particular, when playing through the FS2 main campaign, whenever I reach the first TAG mission, the game crashes to desktop when the mission ends.  This happens whether it's a succesful completion, or if I fail/get blown to pieces and try to restart or exit to the briefing/hall.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
However, none of this explains why the 8/22 build doesn't have this trouble so its obviously not my end.

The 8/22 build didn't have to code in question which is why it works.  A setting of 1.0 is supposed to apply no gamma changes so that points to an issue that will still hurt with the newest fixes since it defaults to 1.0.  The cmdline option would have to be used to avoid the new code but the current builds don't support this.

Originally posted by phatosealpha
...when playing through the FS2 main campaign, whenever I reach the first TAG mission, the game crashes to desktop when the mission ends.

Go into the hud configuration screen before you start that mission and turn off the talking head box in the upper left.  If that gets you through the mission then you can turn it back on.  This is because of a large memory leak fix but because of some memory corruption somewhere it can crash on Windows.  That's the only mission in the main campaign I know of that has the crash though.  If you play FSPort you will have to do the same thing for the "Enter the Dragon" mission.

Offline c_n00b

i guess i'm getting a new computer for christmas

http://support.dell.com/support/order/details.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&order_number=100317926

hopefully it will be able to handle it :-)

Offline redmenace

Dude, Don't get a Dell :p
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Get Alienware!
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by c_n00b
i guess i'm getting a new computer for christmas

http://support.dell.com/support/order/details.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&order_number=100317926

hopefully it will be able to handle it :-)

Speaking as someone thats actually worked on Dells in the past, I can honestly say that the newer models are pieces of utter garbage.  I could go into a long-winded rant on how horrible Dell has gotten over the years, but by the time I typed it all up the board would log me out automatically. ;)  Suffice it to say, they use cheap retention methods instead of doing things like they should have from the beginning.  For instance, the only thing holding down all the peripherials in the PCI and AGP slots is a little plastic lever.  There are NO screws at all.  If that plastic lever were to dry-rot and break...good luck keeping those cards in those slots securely.  The heatsink retention method is severely lacking to say the least.  One good thump on the case and the damn thing falls off!  They don't even use a damn fan on the thing!  The only thing keeping your processor from overheating is a cheapass plastic shroud covering it, which leads to a very slow outlet fan (the only fan in the case, not counting the one in the power supply).  They're even so cheap that they slap in PC2100 DDR (266MHz effective) instead of atleast PC3200 (which would match the processor's FSB if its an older P4,) which only cost them what...a couple dollars more?  Way to go Dell... :rolleyes:  This may not mean anything to you, but using slower RAM hinders your performance greatly.  Its like sticking a 3 cylinder engine into a full-size pickup.  Sure, it'll work, but it'll take you forever to get anywhere.  Lastly, their wiring methods are completely sub-standard.  The power and ribbon cables are strewn all about the case, which not only hampers what little airflow you might have, but it looks like ****!

If you think Dell is bad after reading this, HP and Compaq are even worse offenders!  Atleast I have some room to work with in a Dell.  HP and Compaq cram everything together so damn tightly that I have to remove 80% of what's in there just to get at the RAM!  The airflow is so minimal that if its running in a dusty environment, be ready for overheating issues.

Alienware...you get charged three to four times what it would cost to build the damn thing yourself!  Alienware is so overpriced, its rediculous.  Its like buying a Toyota at the price you'd normally pay for a Mercedez.  The only thing they're good for is picking out parts for yourself, and then shopping around for the best price.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 12:54:11 am by 215 »

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Which is why my PC is built 60% out of second hand parts and from salvaged pieces of other stuff....along with cheap equipment from India :D
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline c_n00b

did you read the description?

1   1   311-3621   512MB DDR2 SDRAM AT 400MHZ - 2X256MB,DIM
1   1   221-5230   DIM 4700,P4,530 (3.0GHZ),HT,INT SNDNICV

are you saying the "400 mhz" memory is only 266 mhz effictive? :-/