Author Topic: new build  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_2-27-05.zip

test it or suffer the horable consequences

...I have experienced a lot of unusual freezes, and  some crap when I shut down, I'm wondering if this is just becase of the dev dlls I'm useing. or if it has anything to do with me at all (as far as I can tell it gets locked in an infinite loop somewere in the direct input code wich I have never touched but I've been hearing about people complaining about similar things with other builds)  this has all my animation and weapon model code in it as well as all current CVS changes, but it is not in CVS due to the frezeing and shutdown errors wich I have yet to identify.

things I am especaly interested in:
 error mesages and anything related to the alt tab bug, it should be fixed and error mesagas should work perfictly now.
environment mapping, it should look better/more acurate than ever, no more uggly seems visable along large surfaces
memory leak, make sure I didn't resurect it.
glithy stuff, lighting, effects turning all white,a portel from hell opening up in your monitor spilling fortha evil hord of demons bent on the destruction of the human race, z buffer weirdnes, bacground effects getting all garbled up or rendering way to bright.
if you find a bug in this build see if it's present in the last build I posted or other builds recently posted by others, and tell me wich if either of these is the case.

Added to the website.//redmenace
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 05:29:02 pm by 887 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
il test it as soon as my z drive is done defraging, mind you i havent defraged this drive in over 2 years :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Hmm, didn't even get to the loading screen for me. The screen just flickered for an instant when i clicked run from the launcher. No error message or anything - it didn't even show up in the task manager process monitor. :\

This was on an almost blank install of FS, so i doubt it's any bogus data, especially since your older animation build works perfectly. (and yes, there is a very specific reason i'm using that build of yours. ;) I've had it for a while, as soon as you implimented the feature actually, but it's not up to preview release quality just yet.)

Hardware:
P4 - 2.4Ghz
512 ram
R 9800 Pro 128 (4.4 drivers)
Windows XP Pro - no service packs

The crash does not happen on either Taylors or WMC's most recent builds. It also seems to be unrelated to the exe flags, since trying it with no flags engaged gave the same results. :(

----
Oh, and since this seems as good a place as any, - animation code bugs:

- Upon restarting a mission in which an animation takes place, the moving parts are in whatever position they were last in.

- Combining types does not seem to work. If you have a list of actions to perform while 'docking', and a list of animations to perform after it is 'docked', then only the 'docked' ones will play. The docking ones don't budge.

- Sort of a bug: the docking animations themselves only seem to take place if the path is over a certain length. I'm not sure if this has to do with the total length of the animations (which would probably be longer than the docking sequence in this case)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Hmm.  The launcher claims it can't read the flag file, and double clicking the build gives me an error about missing vorbisfile.dll

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
look in the errorlog and tellme what it sais, I don't need the whole thing just the first few lines. maybe I should try posting a debug build. oh, I know try running it with the -window comand line option.

-I need to find a good place to initalise ship animations on a pre mission basis

-hmmm,  you said your useing an older animation build, try the most recent one, a lot of work went into this sort of thing after the first few inital builds, though honestly I never tested
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Weird - there's no entry in the errorlog from your build at all. Just ones from previous crashes last year.
The -window flag changes nothing either, no matter if it is the only flag or not.
For the record, I also get the same things as Phatosealpha.

By most recent one, you mean the latest weapon model one? That also works fine, though i have yet to test it against the animation bugs.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
wow, now that is odd, ... rty it in OGL mode just to see if maybe my fiddling with the D3D wasn't the cause of problems, but that's probly it, can anyone else get it to work? this is weird, if the screen flashes you should be getting at the least an unhelpful "d3d failed" mesage, and you should defenately be getting a errorlog

on a side note, I swiched out my dlls to the retail version and the lockups stoped, so unless anyone else has the problem or I reencounter it, I'm going to just say it was the dlls I was useing.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i get the missing dll error as well. it doesnt get far enough to create a log. im gonna try to find the dll online.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 02:51:55 am by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
wait a second, missing dlls...

try these
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its got something to do with ogg support, its looking for dlls to support it.

i need your copy of vorbisfile.dll and ogg.dll, the ones i got arent the right versions.

hey that fixed the cannot read flag file error. make a nothe that that usually happens when youre missing dlls.

and the build works so far, i need to start uncomenting features for some real testing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:03:41 am by 766 »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
both of those should have been in that zip.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i need to stop editing my posts and just make new ones:D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
alt-tabing work now?
does environment mapping look better/still works?
portels from hell?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
alt+tab works now, which is cool cause i dont remember it ever working. and theres a noticable improvement in the env mapping, the glass on the pf satyr looks awesome.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
exelent...
VICTORY FOR BOBBOAU!

//we need a eye twitch smiley
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well, the dlls work, but the sounds are slightly more muffled than normal. :confused:
And yes - alt+tabbing works now. Awesome work. :D

On the other hand tho, the submodel animation no longer seems to. The game gives me a message
Code: [Select]
Error: ships.tbl(3517):
Error: Required token = [+relitive_angle:], found [0 ]
in ship: GTR Orestes.

File:I:\FSO\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 489
The actual animation entry it's looking at is the first of the lot - this one:
+delay: 2
+relitive_angle: 0,0,-180
+velocity:0,0,14
+acceleration: 0,0,1.001
+time:4000
The delay is normally 0, but setting it to 2 didn't change anything anyway :(

The animation scripts worked in fs2_open_r_animations.exe (5th January version) with no such errors. As is they don't start at all in this build.
Has something changed about the syntax or anything since then?
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, there have been changes, most noteably the addition of a subtype so you can specify with docking point or primary bank or whatever. although it's suposed to be an optional line (defaulting to -1 wich is any subtype)
also there no longer is a "primary_bank_1" or 2, there is just the "primary_bank" you specify wich ank via the subtype, subtype is a zero based index, so the first primary bank is subtype 0, the second one is 1, and third is 2, same thing for secondary banks

the new animation table code
$Subsystem: primary1a, 1,0.0 ;;name it whatever you want                      
+non-targetable ;;unrelated to animation code, but this is were it goes
$animation=triggered ;;specifies a triggered animation for this subsystem
$type="primary_bank" ;;this is triggered by selecting an primary weapon bank
+sub_type:0 ;;the first bank, it's 0 based indexing
+delay:0 ;;the animation starts instantly rather than waiting a number of milliseconds
+relative_angle:0,-180,0 ;;move around the x,y,and z axies this many degrees, this specifies the ending
;;position of the subobject when the animation is done
+velocity:0,90,0 ;;howmany degrees the thing should rotate per second at the fastest
+acceleration:0,60,0 ;;how fast it should speed up
+time:4000 ;;the gameplay effect time

and docking related animations are disabled untill I can get goob to look over that bit of code
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:54:35 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i was gonna say they were broke, but  updeted my animations with the new variable and all works fine now.

but i found an odd bug, in the loadout screen the weapons sroll backwards. ad fitst i tought i might have screwed up my weapons table but i realised they were just scrolling backwards.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
the new animation table code
Oooh, that's cool. :) But it also means i can't test the specific docking trigger yet. :(
Couple of questions:
- So the primary_bank type will trigger once per shot of the associated primary? And does/can this apply to turrets? (thinking scripted recoil here)
- Are animation sounds and sexp triggers on the menu for near future development? They'd be awesome. :D
- Not directly related, but is it faster under HTL for a subobject to load a small (256 or 512) map for itself, or if it uses the main hulls huge (2048 or 1024) map that would already be in memory from the main hull?
Twisted Infinities

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
right now all it does is animate when the bank is sellected, such as opening a gun/missile port. im currently using them on pf chimera. ive been waiting on a weapon fired trigger for some time now. and from what i know of htl, the fewer textures the better. your better off to fit your entire shipn on a 2048^2 texture than you are to use 4 512^2 textures. lod texturing should be handeled by mipmaping.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 05:02:43 am by 766 »

Nuke's Scripting SVN