Author Topic: BP-fiction experiment...  (Read 7053 times)

Offline crizza

BP-fiction experiment...
Hey there,
I'm currently thinking about something like a spinnoff novel set in the BP-Universe.
The protagonist is something like the head of the vasudan Medjai and grandmaster of the Imperial Order of Vasuda, something akin to the white guard.
Thinking about vasudan ships and taking in account, that the empire would have their own Raynor and Titan things, I roughly wrote something about the Anubis-class, the vasudan counterpart of the Raynor class.

Anubis-class:
After the loss of the GVD Psamtik in the nebula beyond Gamma Draconis, it became clear, that the Empire would need a decent ship with enough firepower to not only stand it's ground against a shivan destroyer, but going straight for the throat, while relying on it's own strikecraft squadrons.
Unlike their fellow terrans, the vasudans designed and scratched numerous ships, some mounting devastating broadsides, while others had their firepower concentrated on the prow.
The result was the GVD Anubis.
Knowing that new technologies would be revealed in times of war, the Anubis was build to be improved during times of war.
The Anubis itself is roughly four kilometres long and mounting four heavy beam cannons at the prow, while her broadside sports numerous pulsecannons, AAA and vasudan slashing beams, to plunge straight into a shivan fleet, blasting it's way straight to a destroyer while engaging cruisers with broadside firepower.
The possible future improvement comes with a price however, as the Anubis-class has only space for ten squadrons.
Additionally, after the return of the 14th battlegroup and the Terran civilwar, the Anubis was brought back into the Aldebaran Imperial shipyards, to be outfitted with torpedo tubes.
Currently, their are three Anubis-class vessels:
The Anubis, acting as the personal flagship of the emperor and guardian of Aldebaran,
the Deathwing, her launch postponed to be refitted with torpedotubes and experimental long range mass drivers, to engage an enemy at long range, before moving in for the kill
and last but not least the GVD Seth, the only operational vessel of her class, scheduled to return to the vasudan shipyards, after the Deathwing has finished her upgrade cycle.

So...that is just one thing...as it is BP-fiction, I was drawing several potential Anubis class vessels, as of now my personal favorite is a rather blocky looking thing, with a head something like two sobek prows stacked together at their bottom, featuring a triple barreled massdriver on top, a neck section sporting the torpedo tubes and the main body...featuring most of the weapon systems and the remaining three massdrivers turrets, one again one top and two at the flanks, leaving the bottom of the ship rather defenseless.

Well...don't know why I've creating this topic, maybe any of you can come up with an encouraging or fair comments...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: BP-fiction experiment...
Give it a go, buddy, it's your fanfic and you can do whatever you want in it. :) Only thing about the 'Anubis' is that I could've sworn the staple fighter of the PVN in FS1 shared that name...Anyway man, all yours, I reckon you should get cracking on that (it's sounding pretty cool) and show us what you've got when you're further along - give us something pretty decent to sink our teeth into and form an opinion over.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:27:26 am by Dilmah G »

Offline -Norbert-

I don't think  blocky designs fit in well with the modern Vasudans. With FS2 they went towards more organic shapes and I think that defines and puts them visually apart from the Terrans much better than their FS1 designs (the Typhon was indeed quite blocky compared to the Hatshepsut).
That they didn't abanden that new design philosophy is visible from their support ship.

I'd also "keep the theme" in the ship names and thus give the current Deathwing the name of another egyptian god as well. Osiris would fit in well, but is already taken up by the bomber unfortunately, as is Amun(-Ra)...
Maybe Apophis might fit in well with Anubis and Seth, since they are all associated with the underworld in some way. And even those that don't know Apophis from egyptian mythology can associate the name with a violent badguy thanks the Star Gate I guess.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You'd better find another set of names, because both "Anubis" and "Seth" are names of FS1 Vasudan fighters.  :)

Offline crizza

Deathwing was something of a working title, Apophis will work as a name, 'caus Osiris and Horus will be Carriers, but that is a long way to go.
As of now, I went back drawing.
Inspirations are the Hathepsut, the Sobek and a little bit of the GVJ Khonsu, so I want flowing lines and as far as possible no 90° angle, apart from the turrets.
But my biggest problem is that I'm unable to draw the ship in 3d...as of now I've a sidelook and currently I'm drawing the topside as well, that's my usual drawing cycle.

Well, I simply don't care about Anubis and Seth being vasudans fighters, as I'm painfully aware of, but I'll take a look at the egyptian pantheon.

Edit: Drawing a ship in 2d is painfully-.-
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:23:43 pm by crizza »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
There are plenty of names available in Egyptian pantheon and in FS, there are no examples of names repeating. Thus, FS1 fighter names can't be used for post FS2 capships if we want to keep it within FS universe.

Offline crizza

If that is realy the case...then..well...Sokar-class, with the Sokar, Ophois and...Sachmet...they all stick with death, war and the stuff.
Is their currently anything known about the Vasuda-system after the bombardment of Vasuda-Prime?
I would like to use it as major shipyards, fundry etc, situated orbiting the planet while on it's surface automatet mining facilities are located.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That would fit, yes.

Offline crizza

As of now I have doubts about four tripple barreled mass drivers on a ship four kilometres long...how big would be a single projectile?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Why would Vasudans have mass drivers anyway

Offline -Norbert-

Is their currently anything known about the Vasuda-system after the bombardment of Vasuda-Prime?
I would like to use it as major shipyards, fundry etc, situated orbiting the planet while on it's surface automatet mining facilities are located.
As far as I know Vasuda Prime was pretty much mined out long before the Shivans arrived and it wasn't overabundand with ressources to begin with. While I remember having read that I can't remember were i read it though...
So if there are any mining facilities, I'd place them on other planets in the Vasuda system, not down on prime. Since the GTA and PVN kept fighting in Vasuda, I guess it isn't that unlikely that stations and settlements on and around other planets in the system survived, but unless they build anything new there, prime should be empy both on the surface and in the orbit.

Why would Vasudans have mass drivers anyway
Because they saw them being nice sniper weapons on the Narayana and thought they'd try them out too maybe?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I dunno, why didn't the Terrans do that too if it's so easy?

Just my 2 cents.

Offline crizza

Norbert get's it.
A mass driver, able to fire on an enemy capitalship long before it enters firing range could destroy something like a Sathanas main gun, without risking strikecraft.
Thinking that Zods have meaner weapons than Terrans, I guessed they would be able to recreate railguns..

An about mining Vasuda Prime...thought about about the bombardment beams somehow reacted with remaining elements and created something like a new element, almost beam-proof...but...well-.-

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Norbert get's it.
A mass driver, able to fire on an enemy capitalship long before it enters firing range could destroy something like a Sathanas main gun, without risking strikecraft.
Thinking that Zods have meaner weapons than Terrans, I guessed they would be able to recreate railguns..

An about mining Vasuda Prime...thought about about the bombardment beams somehow reacted with remaining elements and created something like a new element, almost beam-proof...but...well-.-

Except that current GTVA beam tech is based on Vasudan designs.
Except that 18 months is not enough time to design, build, and commission a warship that is based around railguns.
Except that, when the war started, the Narayana class didn't have long range artillery weapons.
Except that it was conclusively proven that beam weapons etc are more than sufficient for the task of killing Saths.

For the GTVA, mass drivers aren't a good match, because beams are cheaper to operate and maintain while offering a higher damage output than mass drivers.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline crizza

Realy?
Hm...then I should drop mass drivers and gauss cannons...
But we agree, that torpedo tubes would make sense?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes, and as it's your project, you can do whatever you want. You can use mass drivers if you like.

Offline -Norbert-

Wait what? Why would beams be cheaper?
They don't need anti-matter tipped ammunition, but they need a lot more heatsinks and put quite a drain on the reactor(s) of the ship, meaning the ship needs stronger energy/plasma supply.

And for me, putting a tri-barrel mass-driver on a ship for evaluation of this new technology doesn't sound at all like "a warship that is based around railguns." The main weapons are the four heavy beams at the prow and the slasher broadsides, with the railgun and torpedoes theoretically being used to soften the target up before reaching main combat range, though they are still being evaluated.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Make it a superheavy pulse turret or an (slightly updated) Vasudan Flux Cannon (it could be interesitng to have a ship that uses the latter).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait what? Why would beams be cheaper?
They don't need anti-matter tipped ammunition, but they need a lot more heatsinks and put quite a drain on the reactor(s) of the ship, meaning the ship needs stronger energy/plasma supply.

Beams ARE cheaper, because energy (or rather, reactor fuel) is cheap. In addition, while beam emitters are somewhat fragile, they're also easy to repair; the same cannot be said for your standard railgun.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline crizza

Besides, a Mass drivers needs also energy...
Also, I thought about some sort of cycling system which would simply swap a destroyed emitter with a new one...but as we don't know how big a beam emitter is...uff...writing FS stuff is much more complicated than 40k stuff...