Author Topic: How is the UEF going to win?  (Read 7871 times)

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
How is the UEF going to win?
Even with the Fedayeen now operating without restriction, it seems fairly unlikely that the UEF can win the sol war. Ken told Laporte she would need an "armada" to defeat the alliance. Anyone have any ideas as to what he is referring to? Other alien species from other universes? Rouge elements within the GTVA? The Vasudans? A billion Alpha 1's :D

Discuss your thoughts  :pimp:
Stuff

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: How is the UEF going to win?
Obviously Laporte must gather an armada of magical Shivan Nagari girls to defeat the evil GTVA lords of darkness!

EDIT: Joking aside... She will probably make use of every single ship and ally that opens to her. Calder(?), The Fedayeen, The GEFs (if you didn't nuke Kost), the defectors from AoA, the Sanctuary, supporters among the Vasudan Imperium, etc.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:19:27 am by An4ximandros »

Offline qwadtep

Obviously Laporte must gather an armada of magical Shivan Nagari girls to defeat the evil GTVA lords of darkness!
And what did we learn about Nagari in Tenebra? What was Al-dawa all about? That's right, they combine!

Tengen Toppa Laporte-Simms! Who the hell do you think we are?!

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
EDIT: Joking aside... She will probably make use of every single ship and ally that opens to her. Calder(?), The Fedayeen, The GEFs (if you didn't nuke Kost), the defectors from AoA, the Sanctuary, supporters among the Vasudan Imperium, etc.

Also, the Sekret Project  ;7
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline An4ximandros

It's obviously a Deliverance Engine. ;7

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i'm pretty sure the secret project is what she's going to be fighting to stop.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Veers

It's very simple... The UEF won't win

Spoiler:
They are going to f**k the GTVA up so hard that there won't be another side for them to make peace with!

Besides my ramblings. Secret Project is the ace card we are waiting on.., unless it is a complete diversion and doesnt really exist. Which still leaves, what are the UEF waiting on?
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Luis Dias

They won't win. They won't need to.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
It's obviously a Deliverance Engine. ;7

icwhatudidthar  ;7

i'm pretty sure the secret project is what she's going to be fighting to stop.

Yeah, I'me getting that feeling too... However, I'd be kinda bummed if that happened, I kinda want to see it in action

Spoiler:
They are going to f**k the GTVA up so hard that there won't be another side for them to make peace with!

Yeah baby!! :pimp:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Ken implies with the 'armada' suggestion that the solution to the UEF woes, at least the Shivan&Ken version, is necessarily military.

Where to target that military is another question. Act 3 seems to imply that the battle for Earth is coming, and although the military position looks bad, I think it's a winnable for the UEF. If it wasn't, Steele would already have attacked. Byrne has had more than a year to fortify earth orbit, although to what degree that's possible in this particular sci-fi setting I'm not certain. But if you look at the fortifications at Artemis Station and in Her Finest Hour, the GTVA have figured out methods to defend small-scale static positions. What's to say the UEF haven't also?

That Steele is on Laporte's list implies that the campaign will set up some kind of showdown with him, where Laporte's actions contribute to his capture or death.

I do think that Laporte's armada is going to be much more directed than just a big fighting force; we'll see it aimed at the secret project, among other things. Basically, the Shivan&Ken route to victory is using precise military force to expose and deal with things happening behind the scenes. Hanging over this in the plot currently is the upcoming battle for Earth, and the question in my mind is if some of these behind the scenes items will be dealt with before that battle, or after.

Offline GrahamO

Lots of ways to win against a superior force .....

A few idea here http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-War-Sun-Tzu/dp/0981162614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362947772&sr=8-1

Its not about brute force, but the application of leverage - the right leverage can move mountains ;)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think the Vasudans could be a big factor here.  HoL agents have been purged from the Terran fleet, but what about the Vasudan fleet in Sol?  If there's even just one HoL-following Vasudan destroyer captain (who could potentially shield other agents on his ship from the purge), then you have enormous potential for disruption/destruction of the GTVA fleet.  Would Steele plan for a new hostile destroyer flanking Sker team (for instance) at some very inconvenient time?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Aesaar

Byrne has had more than a year to fortify earth orbit, although to what degree that's possible in this particular sci-fi setting I'm not certain. But if you look at the fortifications at Artemis Station and in Her Finest Hour, the GTVA have figured out methods to defend small-scale static positions. What's to say the UEF haven't also?
Didn't seem to help during the Blitz, and the Blitz was big enough that the GTVA nearly won the war right there (seriously, if Rheza Station gets destroyed, the UEF surrenders).

Offline CT27

Byrne has had more than a year to fortify earth orbit, although to what degree that's possible in this particular sci-fi setting I'm not certain. But if you look at the fortifications at Artemis Station and in Her Finest Hour, the GTVA have figured out methods to defend small-scale static positions. What's to say the UEF haven't also?
Didn't seem to help during the Blitz, and the Blitz was big enough that the GTVA nearly won the war right there (seriously, if Rheza Station gets destroyed, the UEF surrenders).

Was Rheza really THAT important?  I know it would have been a blow to UEF logistics/First Fleet readiness, but I didn't get the impression that its loss meant game over.

Offline An4ximandros

I think it's less in the realm of being that important and more of a 'the last one we have' thing.

Offline Aesaar

Debriefing implied it was pretty important.  I think it's less because of its logistical significance and more about the UEF defensive perimeter though.  Without it (coupled with the other losses), they can't see or cover enough of Earth's orbital space to prevent GTVA bombers from entering the atmosphere and bombing cities.  Being open to such massive casualties prompts the Elders to call it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:24:20 pm by Aesaar »

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
agreed, Bryne seemed to be pretty keen on defending that station, he threw a lot of forces at the station to defend it
Stuff

Offline An4ximandros

:Conspiracy Keanu: What if Rheza holds the Shambhala project?

I doubt it.  You really don't want any sort of war-winning secret weapon being developed anywhere near a major population center in case something goes horribly wrong with it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I doubt it.  You really don't want any sort of war-winning secret weapon being developed anywhere near a major population center in case something goes horribly wrong with it.

I really don't see where the UEF has made a huge effort to separate their military and civilian assets before.