Author Topic: ETAC in Inferno?  (Read 9024 times)

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
Was going through FS2 after modiifgying some TBLs and then the ETAC part came up...and that makes me want to ask:

Will ETAC be used or referred to in any way in future releases?
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

Offline Kie99

Will ETAK?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Why bother? All the Shivans would have to say would be something like "Die, soft-skinned monkeys" anyway.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I dunno, it would be kind'a cool to have the Shivans tantalizing the player, breaking their concentration. psychological warfare, anyone? ;7

Failing that, there's the good old fashioned exchange of abusive language. :thepimp:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Nah. The wholepoint of the Shivans is we don't know what they're about. If you can talk to them, then the mystery is gone, as is their reputation. :no:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
[glow=red]Carl...[/glow]
[glow=red]We are coming back for you...[/glow]
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by High Max
Also, it would be nice if Inferno made cutscenes of something similar to Hall Fight in which we board a Shivan ship and it would be nice to penetrate deep within Shivan infested systems and discover more of their technology.:yes:

Get me someone who can do that kind of cutscene for free and your on :p

As for the Shivans its best to keep them a secret, if we made stuff up about them. Some of you won't agree with it, some of you will and some just won't care, at least this way there's no complaints :)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Due to the current filesize I doubt there'll be cutscenes, as cutscenes would make it over 300mb to download.

Offline Kie99

Can the Gigas cause supernovas single handedly?  What can the Gargant do? :shaking:

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by kietotheworld
Can the Gigas cause supernovas single handedly?  What can the Gargant do? :shaking:

Nothing, the Gargant doesn't have subspace weapons :)

Offline Kie99

Can the Gigas cause supernovas single handedly?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Under the right conditions yes.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Originally posted by Woomeister
Due to the current filesize I doubt there'll be cutscenes, as cutscenes would make it over 300mb to download.

Maybe you should have the cutscenes as a seperate download.

Originally posted by Woomeister
Nothing, the Gargant doesn't have subspace weapons

Strange, I thought it always did. I remember some screens with it targeting a Banshee.

And speaking of which, sorry to say it, but what is the point of the Gargant even being in Inferno? If the Shivans had this ultimate vessel of pure power that no one can beat, then why are they sending the Gigas to attack us? Why send wave upon wave to try and destroy us, when the Gargant could do it all alone while the rest of the armada defends Shivan space. It makes so sense whatsoever.

Don't hurt me for saying this, but i'm starting to think that maybe the Gargant is a little too extreme for Inferno to be a good story.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by T-Man

Maybe you should have the cutscenes as a seperate download.

That still leaves a huge download.

Originally posted by T-Man

Strange, I thought it always did. I remember some screens with it targeting a Banshee.

The model has the ability to, but so far we don't plan on using it. It doesn't have the weapon in its tables right now.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Originally posted by High Max

Good, it's nice to learn about what you are fighting and it's interesting to study another species. It would make the FS universe more exciting if we would learn more about what we are fighting. It's stupid and pointless to keep them a secret. How can you put a thumbs-down on something that is very interesting? It would actually increase the fun factor of Inferno if we learned some more stuff about the Shivans, like their motives and origins and their numbers and largest ship in existence. Also, it would be nice if Inferno made cutscenes of something similar to Hall Fight in which we board a Shivan ship and it would be nice to penetrate deep within Shivan infested systems and discover more of their technology.:yes:

OK - you've seen the film Predator, yes? Right, now watch it again, but add in a little bit at the start where it tells you all about the Predator, what it looks like, where it comes from, how it hunts etc. Not nearly so tense and scary now, is it?

The whole point of the Shivans is that they're an enigma. They're like a horror-movie monster. If you tell the player all about them, they instantly become un-scary and tame, and that wrecks the whole concept.

You remember the first time you saw the Sathanas? When it appears out of nowhere and blows a corvette away in about 3 seconds? You remember that feeling? That's why we don't know anything about the Shivans. If you'd gone into that mission after a briefing that said "Oh, by the way, the Shivans have this f**kin' huge supership that they're probably going to use this mission. It looks like this:...." then it would have been about as fun as watching daytime television.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline -Norbert-

by T-Man
And speaking of which, sorry to say it, but what is the point of the Gargant even being in Inferno? If the Shivans had this ultimate vessel of pure power that no one can beat, then why are they sending the Gigas to attack us? Why send wave upon wave to try and destroy us, when the Gargant could do it all alone while the rest of the armada defends Shivan space. It makes so sense whatsoever.

You could also ask, why did they attack Vasuda with the Lucifer and not with their 80 Sathanas.

Maybe it wasn't finished when they send their smaller ships.
And if the smaller ones are enough, then why bother to send your absolute biggest ship there, which probably flys slower and thus needs far more time to get there and back?
Or maybe they had no enemy since they build their new ships and wanted to test their effectivity in battle.
Or maybe they enjoy a good and quite fair fight from time to time rather than just blowing every opponent out of the sky with the first salvo.
ect, ect

And the best reason:
Imagine they would do so.
First mission:
You fly a quiet patrol when a gigantic ships warps in and destroyes everything and everyone.
You lost the war, the campaign is over.
Fun isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 03:24:36 pm by 1400 »

Offline Krusi

Thats right!:yes:  No ETAC is better.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by -Norbert-

You could also ask, why did they attack Vasuda with the Lucifer and not with their 80 Sathanas.

Maybe it wasn't finished when they send their smaller ships.
And if the smaller ones are enough, then why bother to send your absolute biggest ship there, which probably flys slower and thus needs far more time to get there and back?
Or maybe they had no enemy since they build their new ships and wanted to test their effectivity in battle.
Or maybe they enjoy a good and quite fair fight from time to time rather than just blowing every opponent out of the sky with the first salvo.
ect, ect

I prefer to believe, that any points where GTVA space and Shivan space connect, are in the very fringes of Shivan space, and as such, it takes some time for the Shivans to amass their bigger, deadlier weapons, and get them into the engagement.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!