Author Topic: Anyone remember the game "Tachyon" by Novalogic?  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Anyone remember the game "Tachyon" by Novalogic?
i dont see why people rave about tachyon's physics, they werent that much different than freespace physics, the only noticeable difference was the slide key. and a slide key do not newtonian phisics make. it is a gameplay feature and by no means makes the game any more realistic.

one thing i hated about that game is the lack of a free flight option. you couldnt fly unless you had a mission. there was plenty of space to explore, something freelancer did quite well, but the engine didnt let you fly unless you had a mission, and even if you stayed out awhile after your mission there really wasnt nothing to do. i had quite abit of fun shooting at the police fighters. but they seldom returned fire.

the eyecandy was nothing spectacular, the nebulas were nothing compaired to freespace's, the graphics looked kinda flat, kinda the cheapened stuff youd find in a console game.

im not even gonna touch the cheasyness of the plot. that was obvious and i need not waste time on that. i remember at the time of tachyon's release, it was frequently refered to as tachy-on-the-fringe.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
there needs to be a game that combines the awesomeness of FS2 and IW2.  i'd die happy, i guess
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
just give freespace a newtonian option and id be happy
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Give me something with X-2's economy (except without silicon as the most expensive thing in the entire universe), I-War 2's flight model and piracy, Freelancer's readily available missions, Freespace's capships.  Set it in the star wars universe.  Oh, and let me missions on the ground or boarding ships and play it in FPS mode ala Deus Ex, with Raven shield's option of planning.  Heck, let me board and take over ships if I want to.  Maybe even toss in M002 empire management, or Homeworld strategic combat if I don't feel like actually flying and instead want to co-ordinate my fleet.

Then charge me $5000 for a copy, and I'll be happy even if I never can afford to play it, heh.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by Nuke
just give freespace a newtonian option and id be happy

Heathen!  Keep Newton's laws out of sci-fi! :p

phato, doesn't that sound a lot like the ambitions of a certain unmentionable game "developer"? :p

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by phatosealpha
Give me something with X-2's economy (except without silicon as the most expensive thing in the entire universe), I-War 2's flight model and piracy, Freelancer's readily available missions, Freespace's capships.  Set it in the star wars universe.  Oh, and let me missions on the ground or boarding ships and play it in FPS mode ala Deus Ex, with Raven shield's option of planning.  Heck, let me board and take over ships if I want to.  Maybe even toss in M002 empire management, or Homeworld strategic combat if I don't feel like actually flying and instead want to co-ordinate my fleet.

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds like an awful game? :p

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by phatosealpha

Then charge me $5000 for a copy, and I'll be happy even if I never can afford to play it, heh.

Just ask Derek Smart, and you can get a half baked version of it with shabby graphics, non-existent customer service and all the features you and other players might want changed to suit Dereks own _SUPERIOR_ _gamE_ DESIIGGN1111! abilities.  Such as replacing all the capital ships with coke can dispenser machines (the bastards that they are).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You wouldn't be able to mod it though because mods are the tools of Satan used to oppress innocent game designers and steal the food from their mouths :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
You wouldn't be able to mod it though because mods are the tools of Satan used to oppress innocent game designers and steal the food from their mouths :D

ONLY Teh _ALFALFA LEAdER_ can make GAMEZZ!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Mongoose

Heathen!  Keep Newton's laws out of sci-fi! :p

phato, doesn't that sound a lot like the ambitions of a certain unmentionable game "developer"? :p

wuss! :D
i perfer more sci and less fi with a dash of pretty artwork.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hell, I'm no wuss.  In fact, my physics professor basically said, "Forget real physics; I want to hear explosions in space!" :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL Exactly ;) Real is outside the door, fun is on my computer ;)

I still have Tachyon installed, it's not a bad game, though Bruce could do with shutting up, it always reminds me of that scene from Spaceballs when they are summing up the story, you half expect him to turn round during his monologues and say 'Ok, everyone got that?'

That said, the games pretty good, combat is too long ranged for my tastes though :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I wish i had the full game...
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I bought it a few months ago... BTW has anyone ever ported the ships out of it to .cobs? (hint hint) If not tell me where I can get the utilities that reads that model file format.. l8tr..
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)