Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118834 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Realistically, you'd need two doors, with space inbetween enough for any fighter or bomber craft, for the hangarbay. That way, when launching, the door closer to the inside opens, the fighter goes in, it closes, air is sucked out of the room so that it isn't lost to space, and the outside door opens, and the fighter exits.

We know from the bastion hall that the GTA/GTVA posses some form of atmospheric containment tech so the door would be to protect the flight deck from damage, stop hostile craft entering and to keep the damn heat in when not launching rather than to keep the atmosphere in.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
I thought that was a window.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Having a big open hole in the hull that's pointing straight at your hangar deck is not a good thing to have in a combat vessel.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, considering the canon Orion mainhall (specifically, Bastion's) has it, there's not much to discuss here.
Also, a modeled fighterbay is pretty much a standard. Typhon's got, Hattie's got it, Arcadia's got it, Colly's got it (note, you're never supposed to be anywhere near it's bays), which would make the Orion stand out as the only "modern" HTL which doesn't have a modeled fighterbay.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Id rather not to have a modeled bay, just a door would be enough. Don't get me wrong, even I think a modeled bay would be cool, but, lets face it, Id be happy with just an animated door than to have my fps drop by 20% when I approach the Orion (In an area that I wont be visiting 99% of the time).
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Don't be silly. We have detail boxes.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Well, considering the canon Orion mainhall (specifically, Bastion's) has it, there's not much to discuss here.
Also, a modeled fighterbay is pretty much a standard. Typhon's got, Hattie's got it, Arcadia's got it, Colly's got it (note, you're never supposed to be anywhere near it's bays), which would make the Orion stand out as the only "modern" HTL which doesn't have a modeled fighterbay.
One, we don't know if that's the exit bay or a window. It is never said nor shown to be such either way, so for my sake, I'm taking it as a window, as it'd be stupid for it to be a bay entering.

Hello, I don't give a **** if other people put bays on their ships (also the Typhon doesn't have one, look again), I'm not putting one on this, and unless explicitly told by Zacam that it'd need one to get into the FSU. I feel it wastes my time modeling (and potentially texturing/uvmapping) that could be used on a more visible part of the model. Is that clear? Yes. It's clear, go away.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:41:47 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I could care a less either way, though I do think the Bastion mainhall shows off a window and not a main launch bay... the dimension don't work right... I tried with my mainhall remake.

I'm iffy on the idea of doors because I don't know how the animation code handles that. (will it need to be sexpd before fighters launch in any Orion missions? more info required.) also, none of the other canon htl ships have doors to my recollection either. and I don't recall retail textures implying doors.

EDIT: I also remembered that I think we still cant animate via translation, only rotation. of course, I'm sure VA knows a work around.

finally, the new typhon definitely does have a modeled hangar bay. sorry hades, you'll be the one who has to check again this time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:02:31 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hades

Ah, my bad then. I could have sworn I had looked at it recently and it didn't have one, but I think that was just the retail model.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Lol of course the retail model doesn't have it
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

Lol of course the retail model doesn't have it
Derp. I meant that I thought I had looked at the high poly Typhon model and it didn't have it, but it was more likely I looked at the retail model due to the texturing looking about the same.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
hades has a solid point... the gain is minimal, but man... I had sooo  much freaking fun making it for the Arcadia.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
hades has a solid point... the gain is minimal, but man... I had sooo  much freaking fun making it for the Arcadia.

Oh yes, that was quite impressive c:
Personally I would like a modelled fighter bay while it's not actually needed and serves little use other then for the immersion factor.
I'm also fine with one not being made, but personally would prefer one being made.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that immersion factor is very important, and fighterbay really helps with it. We already have the layout measured and modeled my Mjn, and the only thing to do would be to make a lo-poly version with generic enough fighters to fit into both FS2 and FS1.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
... and I don't recall retail textures implying doors.

Ya, so the GTVA also posses some teleport tech, and the fighters materialize out of thin air nothingness outside the ship? :wtf:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
you can call it whatever you want... that's just the way it is in fs... even still on the other htls like the Arcadia. the more pressing issue with the doors is how it will affect missions that launch fighters from an Orion. FSU isn't guaranteeing compatibility with every mod ever, but we don't want to make major changes just cause we can. more info on door animation is required.

also, my mainhalls ARE. NOT. USEABLE. first, I don't think they are scenes of the main launch bay. second, it would be easier to model from scratch than to take my assets (which as far as fso cares, are not even UV mapped) and make then low poly enough.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The whole discussion is kind of moot anyway.  If Hades doesn't want to model a hangar himself, then he doesn't have to.  If someone else wants to take Hades' model after it's finished and add a modeled hangar to it, then they're presumably free to do so as well.  Spending so much time arguing about an end-stage detail seems like a waste of time.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
also, my mainhalls ARE. NOT. USEABLE. first, I don't think they are scenes of the main launch bay. second, it would be easier to model from scratch than to take my assets (which as far as fso cares, are not even UV mapped) and make then low poly enough.
What I meant is that you already have the layout and proportions down. A 3D model you can "walk" around is a huge step up from a couple of 2D images. The Orion's bay could be based off your models instead of directly off mainhall images, which could save a great deal of measuring and trying to get everything right.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Have you actually read mjn's post? The hangar shown in the Orion mainhalls isn't the main hangar; the view out the window makes that clear enough. As such, using it as a template for said main hangar would be a bad idea, as it just wouldn't line up in a way that actually makes sense.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns