Author Topic: Supreme Commander 2  (Read 19444 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Supreme Commander 2
I just had an awesome game of supreme commander, as soon as I could I set one of my extractors to upgrade then I built an air base, a bunch of engineers and a transport, set in the que after that was more engineers a bomber and more engineers. as soon as the transport was built, I started shipping pairs of engineers to every cluster of mass that probly didn't have the enemy AI on it. I started building up some of the less clustered mass deposits near my base and setting up defensive turrets, upgradeing my power plants at the same time.

all of a sudden **** got real as an enimy gunship started rapeing the new mass extracters and most of my defences had been assumeing a ground attact, I scrambled to build some fighters and he managed to take out most of the new extracters and defences, not only that but I could see he was building some too, so I sent a force in to capture his extracters and build new ones. by now I also have about five resource basses distributed around, but the big probblem was he had tech two and I didn't, I van numaned a bunch of engeneers to upgrade my factories, and built another transport to speed up the remote seeding of mass extracters and point defences.

then I noticed that he had already built a sizeable naval infastructure, though he didn't seem to be utilizeing it heavily, I decided to start a naval factory myself, with the goal of tech 3 battleship in mind. I also started upgradeing my factories to tech 3. I knew that he had to be pulling a van numan manuver with tech 3 power and mass fabricators, because he was obviously turtleing, on top of that, I figured he was building a few super units. I started transporting ground units to a dence mass feild on his side of the map, and a single tech 3 engeneer, set them to destroy his mass fabricators and build my own after (would have prefered to have captured but I was in a hurry to deny him the mass).

my tech 3 naval base was done and well on it's way to making a battleship, when I noticed his naval units were attacking some of my mass extractors and defenses, I figured a land invasion was on it's way, and started building artillery. it took a long time to get it all built and I figured I was about to get a giant spider bot up my ass, but I established a nice thick defensive barrier, and just as I got done, my tech 3 battle ship was done, I sent it to take out the harassing naval units of my enemy, that didn't take very long. I recalled the battleship and built a few naval units with good ani-air support, because I figured the biggest threat was that stupid super gunship.

I took harassing shots at his naval infrastructure while I waited for my naval fleet to build up, once I had a half dozen tech 2 support ships I when in and started targeting his power plants. I figured this was the best approach because the now sizable ground force I had on his other side, controlled about half of his side of the map, so this means he was building massive amounts of power plants and mass fabricators (van numan method). and I was right, I sent a few spy planes overhead to see what he had been up to, and he had about a dozen tech 3 power plants about two dozen tech 2, and more tech 3 mass fabricators than I could count, also he had nearly completed a spiderbot and a super gunship, I started making superiority fighters.

targeting the power plants I managed to take a few of them out,before his gunship came. this no doubt sent both his mass and energy markets into a crash that would take a while to recover from but unfortunately I didn't start on the superiority fighters soon enough and his gunship started nailing my tech 3 battleship and support fleet. the good news was I did have the foresight to build a bunch of largely anti-air naval units, the bad news is I only had a half dozen of them. so while I was able to do massive damage to it, I lost the battle and my battleship sank. fortunately I was able to take the gunship down shortly thereafter.

but then the big 'oh ****' happened, while I was busy trying to kill his gunship, I neglected to notice his spiderbot was gone on the move, I didn't see it until it was damn near right in the middle of my base. my biggest concern was for the heavy artillery cannon I had built, it was doing a good job of popping power plants and if I lost it I knew I wasn't going to get another one. thankfully I had a **** ton of ground defenses, so it's health dropped like a rock, unfortunately, my ACU was nearby, and he shot his big super death beam at him, explosions happened. pretty much took out my central base, both my land and air factories and virtually all defenses around the giant artillery cannon (I was supprized it survived). so as you can guess he stomped right on over to it and blew it to bits.

now a bigger problem was that he also took out the vast majority of my power production, this wasn't as crippling to me as it would have been to him, but it was still a major issue. I had to shut down about half my mass extractors in order to keep what i had left running. I mobilized the ground units on the far side of his base and had them target power, I wasn't expecting much from this, mostly just hoping to buy me enough time to rebuild some power plants, and maybe get some more naval units going. but lucky for me, I got his ACU out in the open away from his base will minimal defenses around it. his health dropped but he had upgraded his ACU with a super death laser, and he decimated my forces, I got him down to about 4% health, when I though he had wasted all my units, but then I noticed I had a few just to the south that had missed the big party. I just BARELY managed to take out his ACU and with it, I took out a bunch of power plants and left a big hole in his defenses, too bad most of my factories had been destroyed and I couldn't take proper advantage of this.

but in a strange twist, with the loss of the central base and all the engineers and factories, my mass usage had dropped to nearly nothing outside the naval base and I had managed to rebuild some of my power plans in the remote bases, so now my naval base was cranking out tech 3 battleships faster than you could believe, I sent them in to knock out his power plants, he had another spider bot done, but in the water they are not very effective and this one got stuck. before I knew it I had a half dozen tech 3 battleships laying waste to his base, he was still sending units onto my territory to take out my resources, but my stuff was all spread out and the only central point of interest was the naval base, and nothing could get close enough to it, (and the battleship protecting it) to be a danger.

meanwhile on an island I had built a new tech 3 power plant, and air base, and I started cranking out tech 3 gunships, sending them in in waves to take out what ever ground units he sent, almost all of his power plants had been destroyed so I switched focus to the anti-air, after most of that was gone, it was only a matter of sending in wave after wave of gunship to clean him off the map.

now without the economic angle of the game I don't see how a round like this would be possible.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I like the economy aspect, I just wish I wasn't challenged by it. I like the idea of crippling an economy, but for some reason I just can't get my head around getting the economy working.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm with Bobboau here, having been a big fan of things like Battle Isle etc, I like a game where logistics take a forward role in the maintenance of your army, in fact, I'd even be prepared to sacrifice the 'size' of an Army purely for more logistic control over it.

In Battle Isle, for example, it was possible to cripple an Army many times the size of your own by destroying it's resource lines, making sure it couldn't transport ammunition to the front lines by attacking Rail connections and other parts of the Infrastructure, and then using small, light units to drain what ammo they had. That, to me, seemed far more realistic than simply 'Who can build the most tanks fastest?'

The giant theater stuff was cool, but everything would be easier (and IMO better) If it was much smaller scale, but more in-depth)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
The giant theater stuff was cool, but everything would be easier (and IMO better) If it was much smaller scale, but more in-depth)
:shaking:scale is key to the game :shaking:
maybe it is *just* the power being removed, and mass is the only resource?

I'm saying, I like the idea of up-close, using units on an individual level. Maybe some customization. Small, tactical engagements over strategic position. The level of thinking remains, it's just more focused on smaller things, not including such a broad scope.

Like, you could do something once you capture point 'X', and it could cut off the enemy's communications with a group of units of point 'Y'. They now have an instantaneous choice: Do the assume command of the small group, lose contact with the base, and try to find a way to restablish comunications? Or do they maintain control of the base, letting an AI with minimal situation awareness take over the units?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There's a tiny bit of the first part in Warhammer:  Mark of Chaos.  You can't build units in combat, all units that you start with are what you have.  You can customize allmost units' looks.  All engagements are tactical

Titan, that would be like DoW2.  DoW2 was not epic.  SupCom is supposed to be epic.  Therefore SupCom2 should not be like DoW2.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, Mark of Chaos did work that way as well, you bought your units pre-battle and you didn't get re-enforcements in-game, kind of like how the board game worked. By the way, War March, the add-on, was great fun, especially playing Dark Elves ;)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
:shaking:scale is key to the game :shaking:

Scale is totally whack in the game. A couple of Mech Marines going at it should be epic. These are, according to the fluff, machines big enough that they could go 1v1 with most things from the BattleTech or Gundam franchises. The Galactic Colossus/Fatboy/Monkeylord are something like 40k Imperator-class Titans.

Only they don't at all feel that way. The Fatboy et al feels like an MBT loose amongst infantry, not a kilometers-tall death machine. The Mech Marine feels like nothing and no one, not a ten-meter-tall heavily armored war machine. SupCom failed badly at epic scale.

Bringing the scale down would give them a much better chance to demonstrate just how epic even the smallest engagement in that world is, rather than epically (forgive the indulgence) failing to convey this.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I totally agree with NGTM-1R. I want Mech Marine battles to send herds of wildlife scurrying and blow enormous craters into the ground.

T3 Assault Bot charges should leave fields of baked glass. Big naval fights should cause tsunamis, and detonations should momentarily vaporize spherical cavities into the water.

And experimental battles? Mountains should topple! Volcanoes should detonate!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
:lol: @ General Battuta. Reading your post I'm not entirely certain if you were being serious or not. :)

But yes, I agree with NGTM-1R. Let's see how SupCom2 will do.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I totally agree with NGTM-1R. I want Mech Marine battles to send herds of wildlife scurrying and blow enormous craters into the ground.

T3 Assault Bot charges should leave fields of baked glass. Big naval fights should cause tsunamis, and detonations should momentarily vaporize spherical cavities into the water.

And experimental battles? Mountains should topple! Volcanoes should detonate!
All that detail? And I bet you would want it pretty...
You're computer would blow!
Actually, my computer would blow up. XD

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have an idea, lets make a game that focuses on a small number of units in a small region that does not focus on resource management and lets call it supreme commander 2.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I have an idea, lets make a game that focuses on a small number of units in a small region that does not focus on resource management and lets call it supreme commander 2 Ground Control.

Now let Supreme Commander be about ludicrous amounts of units in a stupidly large map.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think you may have missed my point, or me yours, I'm not sure.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I have an idea, lets make a game that focuses on a small number of units in a small region that does not focus on resource management and lets call it supreme commander 2 Ground Control.

Now let Supreme Commander be about ludicrous amounts of units in a stupidly large map.
The first thing that comes to mind when I hear Supreme Commander...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, most wars haven't been won by targeting just the enemy 'shooty bits', wars are won and lost on logistics.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Thing is, most wars haven't been won by targeting just the enemy 'shooty bits', wars are won and lost on logistics.
LIES!

Fact: Historically, all wars have been won by maintaining high DPS.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol:

Apparently, having a repair unit back up your tanks and fixing them as fast as they get damaged helps as well ;)