Poll

The TSJ Icanus, the Terran Superjuggernaut. Am I the only one who thinks that having the Earth Alliance build a ridiculously big superjuggernaut is unrealistic? What do you think?

The Icanus rocks, it shouldn't be touched at all.
9 (52.9%)
Keep it the same, but make the Punisher a bit weaker, so the Gigas has a chance of winning.
2 (11.8%)
Tone it down, make it a little smaller , give it a few less hitpoints and make the armament a little less powerful.
1 (5.9%)
Make the Punisher's damage a little less insane and make the Icanus smaller, less protected and armed.
1 (5.9%)
Get rid of it and make up a better way to kill the Gigas.
3 (17.6%)
Keep it the same, but make it only 50% operational by the time the Gigas arrives.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: November 06, 2006, 12:14:09 pm

Author Topic: Icanus  (Read 49741 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Actually, no, since I don't remember much of S:AH. I played it a long time ago, when it first came out, IIRC. IMO it was a mish-mash of Inferno and FS1 ships. I don't see what's so good about it. :doubt:

Prepares to burn

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Actually, no, since I don't remember much of S:AH. I played it a long time ago, when it first came out, IIRC. IMO it was a mish-mash of Inferno and FS1 ships. I don't see what's so good about it. :doubt:

Prepares to burn

It was a bridge between Fs1 and EA in Inferno. Sort of like Star Wars III, only better done.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

It will now be replaced by INF:A. By the way, how is that going?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Check the INFA thread for details on progress

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
No, as your making assumptions based off SAH
Sorry if I sound completely up myself, but unless Alliance portrays the fledgling EA has a benevolent, utopian civilisation, the Icanus being built as a weapon of terror is the only logical conclusion one can make! I mean, a vessel such as this simply cannot be tactically viable in a war, even in the contorted conflicts of the Freespace universe.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Sure it can. Park it in back of the Sol node and let 'er rip on the Punisher whenever the Shivans show up again. Hell, park it in front if you want. The Icanus is the EA's version of the Colossus.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Icanus was designed as a mobile weapon. It was supposed to take the fight to the Shivans no matter were they show up in the system. Just in case any form of blockade at the node fails.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Well, okay, you're the writer after all. :doubt:

It boggles my mind to see some of you whinging about the feasibility of the storyline when you haven't even experienced it. In hindsight it was probably a bad idea to give away so many hints about it.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I find it more amusing that they aren't all ganged around the MT forums demanding the removal of the Apocalypse :p

I hate having a Terran Juggernaut....Why don't we just make more Colossus-class ships. They kick ass, take names, then kick more ass. I like them. The Icanus is okay, but it's only one ship. IMHO, one ship is a Terran disaster waiting to happen. Many Colossus-class ships is a much better use of resources.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Not really as the Colossus wasn't that effective against a ship of the same class.

The Colossus was a juggernaut.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, that giant watergun couldn't handle even a couple of Sathanases, let alone the Gigas or Gargant. The Icanus is a bit overbalanced, but a great deal of that could be handled with a simple table edit on the "Damage per Second" entry in the USilv (or whatever entry that is).

Hmmm.... go and bug MT people? To what purpose? They're making even less progress than the main Inferno mod (no offense, Woo)!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

can anyone tell me the Colossus specifications? (I'm at a location as to where I cannot access the information)

The Colossus is more balanced than the Icanus. And besides, the Icanus looks like CRAP!

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Hmmm.... go and bug MT people? To what purpose? They're making even less progress than the main Inferno mod (no offense, Woo)!
No I mean about the fact they have a big super weapon of doom as well, but its ours that has to go it seems...

The Icanus isn't designed for just beam freeing and letting rip, so we don't need to edit the USilv as it will be disabled in any mission that I don't plan to fire it in.

can anyone tell me the Colossus specifications? (I'm at a location as to where I cannot access the information)

The Colossus is more balanced than the Icanus. And besides, the Icanus looks like CRAP!

If by "balanced" you mean "sucky", then I agree.
And what would you make a giant planetary bombardment weapons transport look like, hmm? Icanus looks fine.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I do have another possible model for the Icanus, but it's rather high poly and would probably kill lower end systems and it would have to be mandatory as it's too different to the current one.
I tried mapping it and found it to be a pain to do.

Offline Darius

Icanus looks fine. It's a sleek warship with a great big gun bolted at the side: you can see how the Punisher would look as an orbital platform.

I do have another possible model for the Icanus, but it's rather high poly and would probably kill lower end systems and it would have to be mandatory as it's too different to the current one.
I tried mapping it and found it to be a pain to do.

Haven't you already done a higher-poly version of the Icanus?

Here we go. How's that coming along?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Mines not that high poly though. It's less than 1.5k IIRC.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I'm fine with the Icanus as it is.

Kinda why I've been avoiding this thread really. I don't see anything wrong with it...

but dang, the cannon on that other Icanus is BIG... makes me want to try and get me hands on the POF, and then find a use for it :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."