Author Topic: Freespace vs. X crossover debate...sigh :D  (Read 54413 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Freespace vs. X crossover debate...sigh :D
While a TerSlash would only do superficial damage to a SD's hull, the slash of the beam would take out a lot of turrets and surface subsystems.  While a Deimos or two wouldn't do all that much damage to a SD's hull integrity, a SD would lose a great deal of its firepower as the TerSlashes rake its hull.
Unless an ISD's shields are substantially resistant to GTVA beam weaponry. :p

While a TerSlash would only do superficial damage to a SD's hull, the slash of the beam would take out a lot of turrets and surface subsystems.  While a Deimos or two wouldn't do all that much damage to a SD's hull integrity, a SD would lose a great deal of its firepower as the TerSlashes rake its hull.

And just how long would a Deimo's last under heavy turbo fire?  It'll last longer under fire from a Sathana's than a ISD unless it's at the unguarded rear.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

While a TerSlash would only do superficial damage to a SD's hull, the slash of the beam would take out a lot of turrets and surface subsystems.  While a Deimos or two wouldn't do all that much damage to a SD's hull integrity, a SD would lose a great deal of its firepower as the TerSlashes rake its hull.
Unless an ISD's shields are substantially resistant to GTVA beam weaponry. :p
Well they're rated at several TT per second.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
While a TerSlash would only do superficial damage to a SD's hull, the slash of the beam would take out a lot of turrets and surface subsystems.  While a Deimos or two wouldn't do all that much damage to a SD's hull integrity, a SD would lose a great deal of its firepower as the TerSlashes rake its hull.

We have no idea if any of that is true.

It's all assumption and supposition and feh.

He did have a point- SW ships have to come out the direction they started in. FS ships do WHAT EVER THE HECK THEY WANT.  :p

And you support that with what exactly? While fighters typically do that by the nature of the sexp system (arrive within X of target), most scripted ships do not follow that pattern. In the blockade mission for example, all of the NTF ships arrive in the same direction which suggests that they do not do whatever the heck they want.

Nightcrawler is a massive fag. . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's your point?  That plenty of it sucks somehow negates the works that are excellent?  If that is your reasoning then the movie franchise should be considered mediocre since the prequels are absolute bantha **** and RotJ had Ewoks.
'scuse me, but Ewoks rule.  Just sayin'. :p

Yeah screw you guys, I like the Ewoks too. And their music.
The fact that Lucas cut out the Ewok hoedown for some unremarkable piece of **** pissed me off to no end. I've heard rumours of an unbutchered original trilogy somewhere but I don't know if the rumours are true.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The fact that Lucas cut out the Ewok hoedown for some unremarkable piece of **** pissed me off to no end. I've heard rumours of an unbutchered original trilogy somewhere but I don't know if the rumours are true.
The individual volume releases (i.e. not the box set) of the original trilogy films each contained a "bonus disk" with the original theatrical version on it.  Said disk was the sole reason I bought those versions; I could care less about disk 1's garbage. :p

The individual volume releases (i.e. not the box set) of the original trilogy films each contained a "bonus disk" with the original theatrical version on it.  Said disk was the sole reason I bought those versions; I could care less about disk 1's garbage. :p

Really? ****ing-a. Need to pick those up.
The only thing I didn't mind about the re-done movies was the bit with Biggs before the attack on the Death Star. But at the same time, I could live without it just to get rid of the rest of the damn garbage.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I liked the Outrider. That was it. .

And hi-def Leia slavegirl.

I'd like to see the Empire harassed by the Lucifer back on off-topic. ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

But they could use tractor beams to keep the Lucy from moving right? or maybe not...  :confused:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5

But they could use tractor beams to keep the Lucy from moving right? or maybe not...  :confused:
I don't think tractor beams can stop ships that large from moving... Even within the SW universe.

That is of course, not including stuff like Centerpoint Station. :D

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
To my speculations, teh D Star'd be *********************'d up in a single hour by the Lucifer. Well, at least heavily damage it...remember the city-destroying blue beam?

Have you seen the Gargant? Think of it ramming the Executor to death...you'd hear Palpatine saying to Vader, "dive, dive, dive, hit your burners!!!"

And finally, we have Alpha one making himself invulnerable, and simply cheat his own ship to possess a Flux Cannon, launch it to the DS's core...blast.

Or, furthermore, Alpha one could just mod the .tbl files and create a lethal missile probably inflicting 2000,000 teratons of force  ;7
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:34:25 am by Marcov »
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:blah:

:doubt:

:rolleyes:

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
To my speculations, teh D Star'd be *********************'d up in a single hour by the Lucifer. Well, at least heavily damage it...remember the city-destroying blue beam?

Have you seen the Gargant? Think of it ramming the Executor to death...you'd hear Palpatine saying to Vader, "dive, dive, dive, hit your burners!!!"

And finally, we have Alpha one making himself invulnerable, and simply cheat his own ship to possess a Flux Cannon, launch it to the DS's core...blast.

Or, furthermore, Alpha one could just mod the .tbl files and create a lethal missile probably inflicting 2000,000 teratons of force  ;7

1: well, ISD has those turbolasers that destroyed cities too (Taris, anyone?)
2: Gargant is noncanon so meh x]
3: and then, Vader spawnz a HUGE ROCKZ AND THEY CRASHES ALPHA 1s[/irony]
4: um.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

this is a proper off-topic discussion. screw canonicity, screw real life. Let your imagination and bias for FS2/watever else run wild
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You'll notice the terminal effect of those turbolasers, individually, on Taris that we actually saw was very, very little. Not nearly enough to match the multi-kiloton missiles we see FS fighters throw around like confetti.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
To be fair, though, the only way we know FreeSpace missiles are multi-kiloton yield is from fluff text, not ingame effect...which is the same source that rates turbolasers as so incredibly powerful.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Remember FS2? 90 Sathanas juggernauts. And they PWNED a frikin star. Therefore,

Sath Fleet = Sun Crusher (only the Capella sun couldn't cause a chain reaction).

Sath Fleet > Death Star. Well, at least they could pwn the DS all the more.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, but it took them days.

And the Sun Crusher is stupid.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, if Sath Fleet = Sun Crusher, the SW universe has the advantage right there.  We have no canon Shivan Juggernaut numbers, only what we saw in FS 2.  Sun Crusher pwns Shivans all by itself :cool:.

Superweapons aside, I seriously think an SSD could take a Juggernaut.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
To be fair, though, the only way we know FreeSpace missiles are multi-kiloton yield is from fluff text, not ingame effect...which is the same source that rates turbolasers as so incredibly powerful.

We actually see turbolasers pierce the roof and hit in the hanger around the Ebon Hawk (and people!), and hitting Taris' towers in cutscene for KOTOR. We have other fluff sources like Iron Fist's twenty-minute bombardment of a Rebel base in Wedge's Gamble that provide fairly conclusive evidence they're not kiloton individual weapons. The main battery output of a Star Destroyer can be guessed at from Empire Strikes Back and is in the multi-kiloton range to deal with the asteroids they fire at; mind, this is full output of the weapons that would bear.

So Star Wars doesn't have fluff that states its weapons are multi-kiloton monstrousities, rather much less. By its own admission, they are weaker. You've pointed out several other salient advantages yourself, of course, but they don't have a leg in the weapons discussion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story