Author Topic: Music Preview  (Read 6486 times)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
So in addition to the stupendous visuals, exciting effects, compelling stories and riveting gameplay, Fate of the Galaxy will be featuring a complete orchestral soundtrack for your cruising-around-blowing-stuff-up enjoyment.  I recently picked up a nicer set of sample instruments, so I thought now might be a good time to post an early WIP cut to show the direction some of the music is taking.  This will also be the debut of our first leitmotif, the FotG main theme, which serves in a similar function to both Luke's theme and the Force theme from the trilogy.  The beginning portion of this preview is from the main menu screen, and the faster part is one of our battle tracks.  Don't forget to turn it up!

http://www.macjams.com/song/62377

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Hmm... This isn't the same track as we have on SVN, is that correct?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Interesting. Reminds me a lot of the music in the classic Star Wars games in the 90s. And that's a good thing.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Whoa, that sounds awesome. It starts with a "soft" beginning, and then it swells up into epic heights. The last seconds give me the same feeling i had at the end of Episode V, when the Falcon heads towards Tatooine and the end of Episode III, where the Music theme is switching to the one from Episode IV.

Great work here, wanna hear moar. NAO!

Offline Ace349

hmmmm I really liked it. It reminded me of old school Zelda, but also in league with the soundtrack from supream commander forge alliance by Jeremy Soule. It gets me pumped up and the tune is very catchy.

I really wanted to grab my joystick and start doing circles around those scummy rebels and for a finale watching those MC80's go kaboom. 
Wonder why I call my self Ace349. After playing FS1 5 times through
I tried it on very easy and got 349 kills in the campain and my call sign was Ace, hey it ringed well. With a keyboard. Then played FS2 with a joystick and got 365 kills in the campain. Using ace again. Hence Ace 365. Whats your "No **** there I was" story.

Murphy's law: Any story that starts with "No **** there I was" is a true story.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I hear the...one theme that I liked from Jedi Outcast!

Fantastic work.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
TopAce: Nope, this is a combination of the beginning of Main Hall and the Battle tracks from soundtrack 10, remade with better sample quality and a few note and instrumentation changes.  I'll start replacing the actual tracks in SVN so we can do balancing when I have more stuff up to this stage (still a ways to go before final, but with pretty much everything in place).

GB: Really?  That's interesting, because I've never played Jedi Outcast or heard the music from it to the best of my knowledge.  Where in the track does the theme appear?  If they were a perfect match it would be quite the example of composers making similar choices in works based on the same source material (most of this track is inspired by the Sullust and Endor music).  I did play the original Dark Forces though--if the theme appeared in that one then I could have subconsciously ripped it off thinking it was my own.  That sort of thing is pretty scary for a composer :shaking: ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well I think it comes straight from Return of the Jedi, the scene where they're forming up before jumping to Endor.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Ah, yeah that's the Sullust sequence.  I'm glad that was the piece you were thinking of, because it means I have succeeded in capturing something of that cue without actually copying the notes.  Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of classical music, but this is really good. Props man. :yes:

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Very nice up beat full orchestral song.  :yes:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments