Author Topic: FSPort and missiles  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I remember the Interceptor and Hornet being much better in FS1 than they are in the port, and I remember the Hornet being much more effective than the Hornet in FS2, but I assume most of that is biased.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I remember almost all of the secondaries being pretty disappointing in the original FreeSpace. Oddly enough, my favorite weapon to use the was the Synaptic. For whatever reason, it always seemed to actually work like it should have. I was originally pretty mad when I bought FS2 because the successor to the Synaptic sucked. When BP: WiH gave us the Slammer, but that's another topic.

This is kind of an interesting argument. I might even venture to say that aspect-seekers were mostly broken in FS1. If the Port fixes them, is it a bad move for being unfaithful, or is it a good thing for providing the functionality that should have been there? Hell if I know, but I prefer having several functional secondaries to choose from.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
People complain about both sides all the time.

They complain that FSPort isn't enough like FS1.. and they also complain that FSPort hasn't fixed things that were wrong in FS1.. so yeah...

Basically, most of the time I don't know why I put so much work into FSPort since all I get are complaints... But I guess, FSU and SCP deal with the same thing too.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The more complaints you get, the better job you're doing. :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Basically, most of the time I don't know why I put so much work into FSPort since all I get are complaints... But I guess, FSU and SCP deal with the same thing too.
You're working in a community. People in a community complain. All the time. I don't get what's so surprising you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:28:06 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Oh! I wasn't complaining, I love the port as it stands right now, I was literally just musing on how the old missiles used to seem. You and the team have done a wonderful job.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You're working in a community. People in a community complain. All the time. I don't get what's so surprising you.

It's not surprising, it's just demotivating.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I think the isue is that there are two kinds of people who play the Port:
1. People who are nostalgic for "old days" of gaming.  They want the Port to just be FS1 on a modern PC, probably right down to the old blurry nebulae things.  These are likely a small minority, but a vocal one.
2. People who never played retail FS1 and want the missions to look and feel new; "latest and greatest."  These are probably the great majority.

It is unfortunately impossible to satisfy both with the same set of missions as their desires are fundamentally in opposition.  The result is lots of complaints no matter what you do.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well.. there IS a way.. I'm just not going to do it all by my lonesome and without a testing team.

Take out ALL the new stuff from FSPort, all mission edits, all ;FSO Version flags, the works. Move all that stuff into the FSPort MVPs including edited mission files. That would solve a lot of debug warnings (even though they are now silenced) and people can have their blurry nebulas back.

The problem is that most of the FSPort team has moved on to other projects and/or RL.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I must admit I fail to see how nebulae are relevant to the subject.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too -- create a "Nostalgia Pack" and point anyone who complains about changes to that pack.  This would only need to be created once and never really looked at again. 

The only problem is that the old nebula code was never re enabled for use in FSO -- they'd have to see retail FS2 nebulae and no doubt complain about that.  Nebulae are relevant since they work fundamentally differently in FS2 than they did in FS1.  I suppose we'd need to figure out how to replicate the old bugged missile behavior too, though.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
People complain about both sides all the time.

They complain that FSPort isn't enough like FS1.. and they also complain that FSPort hasn't fixed things that were wrong in FS1.. so yeah...

Crap, I hope I didn't come off as a complainer. I think that fixing the functionality of the aspect-seekers was the right choice and the Port is fantastic. It's your project, you do what you want, because haters gonna hate. Some people are just never happy. We need to take the nostalgia goggles off and realize that  :v: probably didn't intend to have several nearly-useless secondaries in the game. If I was making a theoretical project, I sure as heck wouldn't create stuff that sucks on purpose.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well.. there IS a way.. I'm just not going to do it all by my lonesome and without a testing team.

Take out ALL the new stuff from FSPort, all mission edits, all ;FSO Version flags, the works. Move all that stuff into the FSPort MVPs including edited mission files. That would solve a lot of debug warnings (even though they are now silenced) and people can have their blurry nebulas back.
The great majority of that is meant to make the FSPort more like FS1 though.  If a user had that setup and then ran the Port without the Port MVPs, he'd be missing the old HUD, the old FS1 docking behavior and damage, the proper FS1 promotion and ace debriefings, and a whole lot of additional features I don't care to enumerate right now.

The only problem is that the old nebula code was never re enabled for use in FSO
It occurred to me just now that skyboxes might be able to solve this.  Can anyone make a skybox that looks like an old FS1 nebula background?