Author Topic: Voice/Cutscene Problem  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Drogoth

Voice/Cutscene Problem
Hey guys,

I was using FSport the other day and it worked fine. booted it up today, and suddenly the FS1 cutscene doesn't play (instead plays FS2 intro) even if I select it from the tech room, and the briefing animations and text comes through, but nothing reads it, and FS2 music plays. Additionally FS2 music plays in the mainhall, and in the missions.

The missions are all FS1 missions that run fine except the music, and the fact that all voice dialogue is completely silent.

Like i said it was working great just yesterday. Any ideas?
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Voice/Cutscene Problem

(click the image for instructions)

Sounds like you are missing several VPs or have an incorrect install.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Drogoth

Assert: max_size > header_offset
File: cfile.cpp
Line: 1748

KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 36 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! WinAssert + 208 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! cf_chksum_pack + 308 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! cf_build_pack_list + 1019 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! cf_build_root_list + 503 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! cf_build_secondary_filelist + 158 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! cfile_init + 398 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_init + 341 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! game_main + 519 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

I get this pop up when I try to run the debugger, I then click Ok to break into debugger and nothing happens. :/
TC 2 Fan club for Life

You did not read the instructions behind the image. Try again.

Offline Drogoth

Yes i did read the instructions, I got to the 'run game' step, clicked run, got that message, clicked OK on it, nothing happened
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Does "nothing happened" mean that FSO crashed/failed to start, or that FSO continued to run normally?

Regardless of the error, after running the debug exec is there a file called "fs2_open.log" in freespace2\data\?  If so, can you post it?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Even the tiny bit he posted can tell you something.  Look at the assertion message and stack trace.  This smells like a corrupt VP problem.

Drogoth, did you try editing your VPs in Notepad++ or something?

Offline Drogoth

Even the tiny bit he posted can tell you something.  Look at the assertion message and stack trace.  This smells like a corrupt VP problem.

Drogoth, did you try editing your VPs in Notepad++ or something?

The only thing I've ever changed was I added the Vengeance Diomedes to my BP WiH files but thats it. And that was months ago.

As for what nothing happened means, it means that I just click OK, that clipboard message goes away, and then I just sit there and stare at the launcher like a moron :(
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK - can you send a screenshot of windows explorer showing the contents of your fsport & fsport-mediavps directory?  The important bit is filenames and filesizes.  While you're at it, you may as well send a screenshot of your root freespace2 directory as well.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Srsly? No. We need the log. We can check VPs present, file structure, checksums, the whole shabang.

I do not know why you can't understand the instructions I linked to but it's pretty simple. If you ran a debug version (which it sounds like you did) then it doesn't matter if it crashed and nothing happened. Run a debug build with FSPort. After the crash or after you exit, it doesn't matter. Go to 'Games/Freespace2/data' and find 'fs2_open.log' and post it there.

If you ran a debug build, fs2_open.log will be there. It will absolutely be there. The only possible confusion would be if you are running Vista/Win7 and installed Freespace2 to your Program Files folder.. in which case the log will be created in the compatibility files section. If you don't know what that is, use google.

We need the log. Period. We should not have to deduce via screenshots of directories until we know that his VPs have the correct checksums and that he has all the correct VPs installed to the right places... all of which the log will tell us.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
if you are running Vista/Win7 and installed Freespace2 to your Program Files folder.. in which case the log will be created in the compatibility files section. If you don't know what that is,
You caught the fact that I was saying to run the patch in administrative mode, right?  So that it can actually modify files in the \Program files directory instead of the MS VirtualStore in \Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files // \Program Files (x86)?  Check that folder and see if you have Freelancer data the FreeSpace debug log there.
appdata is a hidden folder.  To view hidden files/folders, in Windows Explorer (Winkey+E) hold down Alt key and press T (tools), then O (Folder options), then go to the View tab, and select "show hidden files, folders, and drives" (I would also un-check "Hide protected Operating System files (recommended)" (I like to see everything in my computer), as well as "Hide extensions for known file types", which allows you to see and change file extensions, e.g., from my_batch_file.bat.txt to my_batch_file.bat

Like this:

Offline Drogoth

I ended up just getting pissed off and rolling my computer back to the previous day when it all worked, and it works now.

Sorry for my inability with the instructions, like I said, I got that problem when I got to the run step. I literally had the instructions open on the other screen and just stopped reading where it stopped working as I was following it step by step. That was my fault.

My response after that was done from my laptop as I was out an about, and thus I didn't have the log on me at the time. :S

Sorry for the trouble.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the fact that rollback worked at all for an FS2 install mean that it was installed to Program Files (x86)?

Offline Drogoth

Yes that is correct. GoG.com placed my FS2 directory there long before I actually downloaded any HLP stuff. I lurked here for years, but never tried it out.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Freespace should not be installed to Program Files.. that is just asking for problems.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Made topic about SCP & UAC, if you don't mind taking a look when you get a sec.

EDIT: @Drogoth:

You could always move it to \Games\ instead.  Having FS2 in \Program Files means that your log file was in (as I posted before)  \Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\FreeSpace2\data\fs2_open.log

This is because programs are not allowed to write to the program files directory unless they have administrative permission.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:12:31 am by jr2 »