Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 60404 times)

Offline Luis Dias

http://www.gamesradar.com/mass-effect-andromedas-malefemale-heroes-are-brother-and-sister-and-dads-around-too/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=grtw

Mac Walters:

"At E3 we got to see our female Ryder character and now we're seeing the male Ryder character. What a lot of people don't know is that these two are brother and sister, and they both exist in the game world at the same time. So, if you're playing as the sister Ryder, your brother is somewhere in the universe. And another fun little titbit is the character you saw two E3's ago in the N7 is actually their father. So we've got the full Ryder family now revealed".

I can already smell the monomyth cliché. Son and daughter have to convince father he's doing A Really Bad Thing. They have to go through laundry **** between their relationship while fighting monsters. At the end they convince father that "You were right. You were right about me... Tell your sister [/brother]... you were right... ", then pops dies and they still have to figure out how to beat the real big meanie at the end.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
And for example, finding another species which will REALLY resemble humans with it's looks would be rather weird.

I don't know about that.

While part of me is pretty sure that we may have trouble recognizing alien life when we eventually do find it, another part of me wouldn't be at all surprised to run into something vaguely human in appearance, thanks to developmental biology.

Oddly enough, there is a stage in gestation where you're beyond ye-olde-ball-of-cells and into actual developmental features when it is nigh-impossible to tell a pig, an alligator, a chicken, a fish, and a human apart visually.  All of these organisms pass through a couple stages, first where their gene expression is near-identical but their appearance is different, then there appearance is identical and their gene expression is different, then back to the first case, and finally both diverge.  This is because, on Earth at least, there are certain physical features that absolutely must develop at a certain point in time for a viable animal to be produced, and this is - in part - why pretty much all vertebrates (even fish!) have the same basic features - 4 limbs, a head, and a tail.  I would not be at all surprised if we ever find planets that could support human life that the life that developed on them is physically very superficially similar to life on Earth because of this.  Mutations are random, but selection pressures and successful strategies to overcome them are not.

While Star Trek is often guilty of annoying me with things like "oooh nose ridges," the concept that alien life may look a great deal like life as we know it if it develops under similar planetary conditions really doesn't.  Throw in a different set of planetary conditions, though, and all bets are off.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Sentient plant life ahoy?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kszyhu

Sentient plant life? What about large colonies of plankton-like life forms doubling as an organic data storage system? Let's call it/them Pattern Jugglers, for example.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
this game doesn't seem very exciting yet

this game doesn't seem very exciting yet

I second that. Honestly, I still feel like I was burned too harshly by ME3 (doesn't help I bought it at release, apparently DLC helps), in particular the ending, which really affects my interest and excitement for Andromeda, especially as it's basically 'let's move the story as far away as possible from the entire galaxy of the three games prior'.
Besides, I think it would be interesting to play a ME4 that starts right after ME3 so a lot of the missions would involve helping to rebuild, solve lingering conflicts, make sure supplies can go where they should, etc. That could've brought back the 'choose which colony you'll help over the other' that one of the ME1 trailers suggested.

I'll give it a chance, of course, but not at full price. Probably the inevitable 'GOTY' version with all DLC for 30 euros at most, if it truly turns out well.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Kszyhu

A version of ME with all the DLC included? Now that would be something...

Offline Luis Dias

can't really argue with you Battuta. hopefully they will be able to amp up the hype in November 7. Because Hype is good. Hype is great.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
As for humanoids... I get your point clearly. Besides "dating and drinking" there are also gameplay mechanics. Admit, it would rather look awkward to have a Hanar or Elcor squad mate :P. Putting some humanism into aliens also makes the interaction between characters easier (Sheploo- Garrus bros). But hey, we're going to another galaxy.

The problem is not just the interaction, it is also the design of envoirments and props which is holding back more exotic alien designs. How would a tool look like made for a manipulator which can grip without an opposible thumb? Would you recongnize it as such in an interaction?

While in a more committed setting than Mass Effect has been previously, you can technically do that by teaching the audience a new visual language, but it is questionable if you have the scope and mechanics to foster such long term engagement. (Especially since there are currently no plans to make a follow-up to Andromeda because of good reasonstm)

can't really argue with you Battuta. hopefully they will be able to amp up the hype in November 7. Because Hype is good. Hype is great.

They will but I am not sure if it will be all golden, we will have to see... EA EU-devision also has quite a PR-stun planned (if the whole thing works out)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Luis Dias

I'm betting they are really planning a sequel to Andromeda, but its development ultimately depends on Andromeda's success.

It may also depend on the quality of that other secretive ip they were developing and for which no word as yet come out.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I'm betting they are really planning a sequel to Andromeda, but its development ultimately depends on Andromeda's success.

It may also depend on the quality of that other secretive ip they were developing and for which no word as yet come out.

Andromeda at this state is mostly about roping in new customers (there is market research floating around that ME is most prominent for the ME3 ending-fallout, and that the brand has enough room to grow in the market) ... as such their definition of "success" might have a high celling

... and yes they are saddled with at least one (I keep hearing of two, though) project that they contractly obligated to follow-up on because they needed to recruit some recurring talent - those project but don't require to become anything ultimately but another hyped-mystery-box-protfolio depending on how things go...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:14:08 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Dad, brother, and sister.... and presumably the brother/sister are the playable options.

What are the chances they go with something interesting instead of:
1.  What Luis said, or
2.  Happy happy family explores the galaxy and then Dad gets killed off.  Or sibling.

You know its coming.  One of the three Ryders is going to get killed off because some writer at BioWare will think that makes it compelling, even though they did exactly that at the beginning of DA2 and everyone can see it coming miles away.

What we need here is a godamned space western where the family rides off into the sunset at the end.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Plot twist: halfway through the game the player characters is killed and the rest of the game is played as the other sibling.

Wouldn't be better, but it'd probably be a bit more interesting.

Offline Luis Dias

It would be really cool but people would be really pissed off. "DO YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT AFTER *I* PICKED THE SUPERIOR MALE GENDER I'M FORCED TO FINISH THIS GAME LIKE A GIRL? A GIIIRL???"

Then again, I'm warming even to that idea.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Bonus points if the class/specialization you picked at the beginning of the game, your sibling picked the exact opposite and there was no re-spec option.  This is veering into "objectively terrible idea" territory real quick, but it's at least entertaining.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
And then the player's helmet comes off and it's a troll face underneath.

I think we're onto something here.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Why did they chose such polygonal environment to showcase the tech? Looks kinda meh..
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Kszyhu

Why did they chose such polygonal environment to showcase the tech? Looks kinda meh..

The Bioware's thought process: "No, of course no one remember the Collectors, just add some green glow on those old textures and we are done."

Offline Luis Dias

I'm just glad we will experience one Mass Effect again, with a lot of graphical upgrades.

I wished they really went forward with the remastering of Mass Effect.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
It's funny when EA jiggles bioware's corpse around and people still stop to watch.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D