Author Topic: MediaVPs 4.2.X Discussion Thread  (Read 6986 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: MediaVPs 4.2.X Discussion Thread
I graduated at plastic school, I was taught about color composition by professionals, I am graphic designer by trade... Blah, blah, insert more immodest and egocentric bull**** here.

In short: I'm the artist, so I know better :]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 10:28:00 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I love the, it's great work! I just ran Battle of the Wilderness with the new shinies and it's tres bon.
I'd personally love the Orion and the Demon to get a makeover at some point, but I know at least one is in the works.

Offline CT27

For individual mods, that really depends. You should wait for mods to update for 4.2.x compatibility instead of trying to force it.

Yeah, I noticed how some mods automatically updated for 4.2.x compatibility and others didn't. I'm not gonna try to force it just yet. Fair enough.

Which ones automatically updated?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Mods I presently have (I've only finished Silent Threat: Reborn):
Ancient-Shivan War
Between the Ashes
Blue Planet
Derelict
The Destiny of Peace
Exile: Into the Dark Waters
Fall of Epsilon Pegasi
FS2 Demo
The Procyon Insurgency
The Scroll of Antankharzim
Silent Threat: Reborn

The ones that updated to 4.2.2:
Between the Ashes
Blue Planet
The Procyon Insurgency
The Scroll of Antankharzim but none of the others updated. The ones that didn't update are still at 3.7.2 or 3.8.1 or 3.8.2 or whatever. Ancient-Shivan War is still at 3.6.12.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BtA updated to 4.2.2? News to me.

EDIT: Oh hey look at that.. I accidentally set it to allow newest mediavps. Oops. And it has (minor) debug warnings. Guess I should update BtA to 1.5.5.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:32:52 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Hey uh, I know you told us to test the new sound stuff but- - -  :nervous:  It looks like sounds stop playing/cut out for me in large battles; every 3rd or 4th laser shot makes no sound.

Also can we bring back the fighter death explosion variety? I only hear the 3 new same-ish sounds every time a fighter explodes And I see no reason to have removed the other ones.

Also I would like an ice-cream cake.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:44:23 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline CT27

Since these are obviously more advanced than the 3.7.2 MediaVPs (2014) I play most of my campaigns on, what would you say are the recommended specs to enjoy these at a good level (for a graphics card recommendation I'd prefer an NVIDIA model)?

For instance:
monitor refresh rate
monitor response time
processor
RAM
Graphics card

While they are bigger than 2014, they are not performance graves. I use 32 bit builds (so not more than 4GB RAM) and a graphics card from 2017; they work pretty well for me with high res package. If it's too heavy for your PC you can leave out the "advanced" file.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Since these are obviously more advanced than the 3.7.2 MediaVPs (2014) I play most of my campaigns on, what would you say are the recommended specs to enjoy these at a good level (for a graphics card recommendation I'd prefer an NVIDIA model)?

For instance:
monitor refresh rate
monitor response time
processor
RAM
Graphics card

Refresh rate and response time are pretty much "whatever you feel most comfortable with".

The other parts.... well, it kinda depends. I am using a Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB of CL-16 3GHz memory and an RTX 2070; this is enough to drive my 3840x1600 display at over 60 Hz most of the time (all of the time throughout the main campaign using the MediaVPs, mods may differ). This rig is definitely overkill for FSO, since FSO does not use CPU threads that well, and GPU utilization is pretty low due to a combination of most scenes in FSO simply not being that complex (a couple dozen models and a couple hundred particles plus a few fullscreen post-processing passes) and the FSO renderer not being as efficient as modern AAA engines.

So, scaling back a bit to what I would consider "recommended" specs for playing at everything up to 1440p:
* Any quad-core CPU (i.e. any post-Skylake Intel i5 or i7, any AMD Ryzen)
* 8 GB of RAM
* A GTX 1060 or better
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AV8R

For instance:
monitor refresh rate
monitor response time
processor
RAM
Graphics card

Here are my current specs (and have been for the last 3 years):
60hz (V-Sync on) @ 1080p
1ms response time monitor (144hz capable)
Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz-3.9Ghz (Ivy Bridge!)
8GB DDR3 RAM 7-8-8-24-1T
nVidia GF 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 (stock speed)

Even with the somewhat dated hardware, FSO x64 AVX plays flawlessly with every bell and whistle turned on (except those annoying little space debris chunks to indicate "movement") and all detail settings maxed out. This also includes all anti-aliasing and visual quality features turned up to the max in nVidia's Control Panel as well. During any mission in FS1 (Port) or FS2 series, the frame rate always stays locked at 60fps. The ONLY way I see a frame rate drop is while running a standalone mission someone created that has like 60+ capital ships from every race endlessly duking it out on screen with beams - and then my frame rate will drop to 30-45fps (still good considering all that's going on onscreen). Before I had the 1050 Ti I had an nVidia 750 Ti and the only limitation there was not being able to enable shadows or I would see some fps loss, but it still ran everything great.

Now, even though my monitor is capable of a 144hz refresh rate, I leave it at 60hz because FSO's frame rate caps out at 120hz anyway and at that refresh rate, fast motion (especially while turning quickly) can get choppy. I also experience a drop in "missile IQ" at 120hz - missiles fired will be more likely to miss, but at 60hz, they tend to score hits more often (go figure).

This is what is so nice about the current FSO engine and MediaVPs - even though they're quite detailed and beautifully rendered, they really don't require the latest and greatest (and most expensive) hardware to run well. Just some higher-end older components or budget-friendly newer components should work just fine and give excellent visuals and performance for most players.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:22:25 pm by AV8R »

Offline morGy

Hey uh, I know you told us to test the new sound stuff but- - -  :nervous:  It looks like sounds stop playing/cut out for me in large battles; every 3rd or 4th laser shot makes no sound.

Also can we bring back the fighter death explosion variety? I only hear the 3 new same-ish sounds every time a fighter explodes And I see no reason to have removed the other ones.

Also I would like an ice-cream cake.

I am afraid the first thing is a problem on your end else there would be way more reports to this being a problem.

There is good reason not to include them: 1. They mesh poorly with the rest of my work 2. They are low quality and or outright destroyed. nothing is stopping you from including them for yourself though. extract and alter the tbm, put the sounds you want into the sounds folder voila

Offline Solatar

This happens to me in some situations with lots of action going on, but I thought it was something on my end.  Sometimes my primary weapons sounds either get dropped for a few shots, or get dropped every 3rd or 4th sound until I stop firing in sequence and restart. I also can't tell if other sounds are getting dropped around the same time, or if it's just my guns only. I hadn't reported it because I couldn't reliably reproduce it (same mission, sometimes shows the behavior, sometimes doesn't), so I figured it'd be a useless report.

Is the new sound environment any more demanding on hardware than the old? It randomly modulates the pitch of your lasers every shot; is that resource intensive? I'm running an older computer, and I get a pretty solid 60fps on FSO but I have to turn off shadows, lightshafts, and I don't run the Advanced MediaVPs package.

Offline AV8R

I just played a few missions in FS2 and heard the same thing - for me it's usually the very first shot that is not heard. It also occurs if you're doing something else at the same time like firing a missile. You'll hear the missile fire but the laser fire is not heard for a shot or two even though they're obviously firing.

I also noticed it when I fired my last missile in a bank and never heard the missile fire but I heard the mechanical sound the ship makes when it automatically switches over to the other bank (both usually play simultaneously, with the missile fire taking volume precedence over the bank switch).

So yeah, some minor sound glitches.  :(

Offline Sobbsy

I have just one audio oddity - my primary weapons make no sound at all. Tried the Subach, Prometheus, Maxim, all silent. Disabled enhanced sound for the fun of it, no change. Reinstalled everything clean (boy that takes some time) and no change. Ran debug mode, checked the log, nothing stood out relating to audio errors... Beats me! Tried RC vs Nightly too, no joy. Running an old X-Fi Xtreme Music on windows 7, has worked perfectly prior to this update :)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Upload your debug log.

Offline Sobbsy

Sure thing, just ran the game, loaded a mission (Kings Gambit) checked still no primaries sound and quit out. Log attached, cheers.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And you get all other sounds? Just not primaries?

Things to try. In Knossos click the dropdown under MediaVPs and click Verifiy File Integrity to make sure all your files are correctly downloaded and installed.

Check your audio setup? Maybe it's possible the primaries are being lost in a center channel or something?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
4.2.3 is going up. Check the release thread for a changelog.

Also, welcome MatthTheGeek to the FSU team.

Nice :yes:

Wasn't the Pegasus done too?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
New assets do not go in patch updates