Author Topic: Flak Energy  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I decided to rewrite the MediaVP scripts to be more efficient, because they're doing a lot of unnecessary looping every single frame.  The flak script is the first one I looked at, and surprisingly it has no effect whatsoever.  This is because it only operates on a weapon called Flak Energy, and there is no such weapon defined in any .tbl or .tbm.

Was there originally a weapon called Flak Energy at one point?  Or was this a botched attempt to try to use the script on any flak weapon?

This script has been broken ever since its original addition to the SVN repository in 2009, so it's not a case of working at one point and then breaking.  Does anyone have an earlier version of the script, or does anyone know who wrote it?

EDIT: Upon further evaluation, the glow effect assigned to the flak, lglow3.dds, has not been included in the MVPs at least as far back as 3.6.12.  So this script wouldn't have worked even if it had worked.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:09:06 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay I believe the scripted flak was originally developed by Wanderer in this thread.  He originally used yellow_glow, so I changed the fixed script to use that.

Here is a sample mod that tests the working script:
http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/downloads/flaktest.7z

Drop it into the MediaVPs 4.3 mod, or put it in the FreeSpace2 folder and use wxLauncher if you prefer; I included a mod.ini for that purpose.  Load up flaktest.fs2; you will be in an invulnerable Perseus against a hostile Aeolus.  Press T to set the flak override to true (thus disabling the scripted flak effect) and press F to set the override to false (thus turning it back on).

I haven't decided how I feel about the fixed effect.  Part of it was that the yellow glow doesn't fit with the current effects.  Also, MediaVP graphics have advanced a lot in 15 years, so the script may no longer be needed.