Author Topic: XMAS RELEASE: Earth Defence Demo  (Read 43310 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: XMAS RELEASE: Earth Defence Demo
There are no normal maps, by the way. There's no difference with fixed render pipeline on or off, except, of course, for the lighting effects.

We've included normal maps If you dont' believe yuo should open archive called media.vp and check maps folder. Normals are included. If they don't work for you, you should run any debug build which support normal maps and check debug log. Maybe you don't have GLSL techmlogy support?

If I didn't have GLSL support, fixed render pipeline wouldn't even be visible to me. :P

I have a GeForce 8600 GT.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline HermeZ

• Blah :P
    • My Homepage ;)
Downloading now ;]
BTW is TerraNET mirror working correctly?
Oh and marry Christmas :D
Polish FreeSpace Community Center
-----------------------------------------
Have a Nice Day :)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Any chance of a Mac-friendly release?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I hate to say it, guys, but this doesn't strike me as very polished. I know this was developed by Polish modders, but this is riddled with spelling and grammar errors, and at one point one of my directives was in Polish. (Seriously guys, if using dashes was a crime, you'd be in jail for a long time. That many dashes isn't necessary.)

There are also various mapping errors, and yeah, there are normal maps, but they make everything almost black. :wtf:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 05:11:26 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I didn't even finish the first mission...it's just...ugly. Like someone put all that was good and holy from a number of different mods in a blender and set it on "puree". The fighters are too light and too manuverable to feel like I'm playing Freespace, and too small/hard to see causing the same problem. Fighting is only possible at point-blank range. The heatseekers are nearly useless because of the increased manuverablity of the fighters. This feels like a mod of BTRL, and that's not really a good thing.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
By the way, who picked the project name with such interesting initials?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

ugh, this one has been nothing short of a nightmare for me.  First, I installed, played ok.  I quit, and decided to check the launcher and see what features were set.  It said something about being forced to use the binary launcher, and after that, the game would crash every time I'd try to play it, in module atioglxx.dll.  Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work, I even deleted the contents of the directory after uninstalling, still nothing.  I finally got it to work by installing to a completely different directory.  After that, I too got the ship selection crash on mission 2, plus, it crashes when you try to go to the tech room.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Crashes in ship selection? Something is wrong. his was tested on four computers and we didn't have any rpoems with ship selection... Ty using other build. It could be 3.6.9 it should solve nearly all of the rpolems.

About "black" normal maps - I don't know what's wrong. Just remove in launcher everything in custom command lines and writ e-ambient_factor 75 It should solve those problems too.

About spacefight - You want to have a lot of kills? Don't be funny. We wanted this game to be a bit harder than FreeSpace 2.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

hmm... That IS odd...  I do have 3.6.9.  Maybe my video drivers need an update.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
About crashing techroom  - Check if you have in launcher selected "use models in ships selection" if no, select. It should fix those crashes.

I don't see any bugs with nmormal maps. Maybe it's just a SCP build bug. Here's some screens of ED with normal maps:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
If you get crashes on ship selection check "use models for ship selection" in the gameplay tab of features. If it doesn't work then I don't know what went wrong.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nice...very ncie...

I seez you're using some of my ships..just FYI, there are better version of both the Galaxy and the Orion Mk2 avaliable ;)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
Nice...very ncie...

I seez you're using some of my ships..just FYI, there are better version of both the Galaxy and the Orion Mk2 avaliable ;)

I'll include them into a patch. And voice acting too :)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
And pleeeease do something about the font .

Keep in mind that after installing to the default directory, once I tried to use the Launcher I couldn't run the game again until I installed to a completely different directory.  Are you sure it's safe?

Edit: I just checked, and the box is in fact selected.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Those normal maps don't look right at all... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
He's right. :nervous:

Offline Solatar

Grammar was horrid...If you take that out of the picture, a lot of the campaign was fairly polished. Plenty of things to improve on, of course. The combat didn't really feel like Freespace to me, but I thought it was kind of fun and interesting. I thought having trails on almost all primaries was a bit unneeded, but it served to create a new less freespacish atmosphere. It wasn't Freespace, but it was a good example of another kind of slightly different gameplay this versatile engine is capable of. I would recommend that you hire on a native English speaker (or a fluent speaker at least) to redo the wording in missions or for the final release. I could tell what you wanted to say, but a lot of the language was a bit awkward.

I thought it was kind of fun...I liked the graphics as well (I know a lot of them are from other projects). The normal maps don't really work too well, but with the ambient settings I use I could hardly see them anyway.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I was supposed to do the grammar checking actually, but with only one week to do so and a hundred pages of essay to write (for school) I didn't have time to do so. On the very last day of production (23rd) we transferred this job to someone else. But as you could have guessed, they couldn't have done a good job in 1 day. There was also no testing at all, it was released the second it was finished, which explains a lot of the bugs.

Offline Solatar

Well, I really do think the missions are well done. I think the thing that's turning everybody off is the grammar and little bugs here and there. For some reason people can't get past bad grammar.

...I thought it was fun...