Author Topic: Nano Jumping is Stupid  (Read 8358 times)

Offline Kie99

I heard an interesting theory about the Lucifer's shield on another forum.  That the Lucifer was shielded by a bubble of subspace and when something hits the Shield it gets sent into subspace, so when teh Lucifer goes into subspace that's why its shield doesn't work.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That'd have to hold true for all shields though, since no one's shields work in SS.  There almost has to be some connection between shields and subspace, as it doesn't seem to affect anything else on a ship.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
the universal gravitational constant (G, not f) is 6.67*10^-11 or 0.0000000000667, just to give a feel of ho weak gravity actualy is.

In comparisin the fromula for an electric feild is essentialy the same, just with different variables, the contant for that formula (cant remember the name ATM) is 9*10^9, or 9000000000.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 05:32:46 pm by 2073 »
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by StratComm
That'd have to hold true for all shields though, since no one's shields work in SS.  There almost has to be some connection between shields and subspace, as it doesn't seem to affect anything else on a ship.

There was a thread a bit back where someone mentioned the FS bible said that going into subspace involved vibrating. Perhaps this vibrating would cause havoc with the shield generators and so they're switched off automatically. All we know is that shields can't be used in subspace, not that they can't be turned on/don't work at all. (IIIRC)
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
You'd think that the Lucifer (or for that matter any shivan ship, assuming they know more about subspace than the GTVA) would just reactivate it's shield the moment allied craft jumped into the corridor behind it.  But you're right, we don't actually know that.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
IMHO shields are a modification of the subspace drive - you extend a very stron EM field that's capable of initiating the vector change.

The reason why it sucks energy is that you have to cover the massive demand the process normally needs.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by StratComm
You'd think that the Lucifer (or for that matter any shivan ship, assuming they know more about subspace than the GTVA) would just reactivate it's shield the moment allied craft jumped into the corridor behind it.  But you're right, we don't actually know that.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines that activating shields would instantly deplete or damage them. ie, if the shield is polarized somehow, and so is subspace, you flip on shields and your ship gets fried. :D

Or, when the shields are activated, rapid shaking of the equipment makes the emitters shift out of alignment, frying the shield system, damaging the craft, or just making the shields basically ineffective for some amount of time.

Beams also go through shields, too. (Unless you use the nobeampierce flag ;) )
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

There was a thread a bit back where someone mentioned the FS bible said that going into subspace involved vibrating. Perhaps this vibrating would cause havoc with the shield generators and so they're switched off automatically.

All we know is that shields can't be used in subspace, not that they can't be turned on/don't work at all. (IIIRC)

They can't sustain the power output under jump phenomena (see the lab cutscene script).  

(Incidentally, the vibration is to open up the entrypoint to subspace)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
It isn't:

A jump drive causes a ship to vibrate in multiple dimensions until its modulations are in perfect synchronization with the subspace continuum. A vortex opens, creating an aperture from an infinitesimally small point in the cosmos, enabling the vessel to cross the subspace threshold.

Taken from the techroom description and in extent the fs-doc.

The vibration takes effect on the ship and not the space around it.

IMHO the vortex is how humans percieve the transition from normal-space dispersion to subspace dispersion of all your osciallations.

The reason why you can't use shields inside subspace IMHO doesn't have anything to do with polarisations (there was no whatsoever reference to such a nature of subspace).
It was also never mentioned that you need power to maintain jump phenomenon - you could have disabled ships in subspace and they don't fall/jump out.

IMHO the reason is far less the impossibility of using shields in subspace - My opinion is that it IS possible to use them.
The reason why no one does is the fatality of doing so.

Shields force jump anything thrown at you at a random vector. However Newton 3rd law still takes place - beside putting in the needed energy you also have to deal with the inverse force.
Since the rocket/laser/beam doesn't hit you, you can argue there is no such thing - but it hits your shield, and when it force warps the incoming threat it changes it's vector as if a force was applied in THAT dirrection (a term I have to use when speaking of using subspace).

The inverse force takes its toll on the bearer of the field - you. Therefore you will be somewhat warped moved in THAT dirrection too.

Imagine what happens if you did that in subspace: your vector will be suddenly altered.
Even though you may avoid the attack you can be lost in subspace forever. (Maybe that's what happened to the Nyarlhoteph).
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Flaser, in the transcript for one of the cutscenes omitted from FS1, there was a mention of shields causing too much of a power drain to be used in subspace.  It's in the Reference Bible.