Poll

Which engine would you like the Freespace FPS to be made on?

Half Life 2
19 (43.2%)
Crysis
10 (22.7%)
Other
15 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Freespace Assault Force engine poll  (Read 8306 times)

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Freespace Assault Force engine poll
Alright, for Freespace Assault Force (link here if you don't know about it already,) the public's opinion on what game engine it will be made on would probably be a good idea. ;) So, here are the two engines that we are currently debating over. If you have any other suggestions though, feel free to comment. Also, if you'd like to help in any way, feel free to comment here, or here.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Vrets

Re: Freespace Assault Force engine poll
Doom 3 engine would fit the hallfight atmosphere.

However, if this is ever going to get anywhere, it's probably going to be a Source mod.

I don't have Crysis, and can't think of anything better than Source, so Source it is.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
Doom3 wouldn't be the best, although I agree for the hallfight thing, it would be great. As for Source, I think I should make it openly public that adding new weapons and models into the Source Engine is NOT easy. Models such as static props are, but weapons are not easy at all, as where they Crysis engine, it is a lot easier. It's for this reason, and the amazing rendering and graphical quality of Crysis that I bring this up.

Point given, maybe this will change opinions or idea's.
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You shouldn't have asked us for our opinions. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'd be an advocate for the Half-Life 2 engine as I've seen several examples of flight implemented in the past - I've never seen any such thing done for Crysis, though I do imagine it's possible.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Crysis already has flight built in; there is a mission in the campaign where you escape from the island while flying a VTOL.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Which was awful.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
As n00b as it sounds... I sort-of do not trust Source when it comes to vehicles (there was a mod that was cancelled because of something related to vehicles and multiplayer), but I don't know how good Crysis is at the same job (some ages-old instant-kill ramming problem or something which I don't know if it was fixed coming in to Warhead?), and I have no idea if newer Source engines already improved on the vehicle code since long ago. And then there's Steam. :sigh:

There's also UE3 which at least isn't a lag monster (it has that "it just works" feeling all over it) but... something... about first-person view weapon models on that engine that just looks... off... to me... regardless of mod... on standard UT3 I don't really care because of the fast-paced gameplay with audacious-looking guns bang bang boom dead that ignores reloading but on those "tactical shooter" (or similar) mods that implement reloading for assault rifles et cetra...

just plain weird. to me. and even if the gun normal was moved more to the screen centre i doubt it'd look any less weird, again, to me... :doubt:

a $0.02 random banter XD
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking as a completely non-technical sort, I went with the engine (Source) that I know can actually achieve reasonable performance on my computer, as opposed to the one that's the Holy Grail of high-end custom-build wankery. :p

(Yes, I realize the engine isn't everything, but still.)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Crysis has flight built in. Source is wonky with vehicles, from what I know.

I'd go CryEngine, I guess.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Crysis. Really. I've seen amazing first-time maps done by people. The possibilities are endless in that engine, just like with Half Life 2's, except with better graphics and all :p And yeah, there are air vehicles in Crysis. Definetly go with CryEngine.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
As nice as Source is, stuff like MechWarrior Living Legends suggests CryEngine is a lot more flexible, powerful, and mod-friendly.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
CryEngine is beast.  Performance problems are due to the insane graphics packed in, which don't have to be used.  The ramming instant death thing, I don't know what that's referring to.  I've never seen it.  Unless you mean running into a rock wall at 60 mph, but then what do you THINK is supposed to happen? :P  I don't know about source, never played anything using it.
I like to stare at the sun.

To be honest, I only picked Half-Life 2 because I was familiar with it, and with many mods for it.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
However, in terms of good engine, you shouldn't rule out the one used by Unreal Tournament III ( forgot what the engine itself was called :p ). It also has many great mods, with drastically different gameplay and all that, like a 'CnC Renegade' remake, or the 'Angels Fall First' mod that includes space combat as well as ground combat, and "manning" the capital ships.

Still, I'd go with CryEngine if I were you. Heck, I was looking into modding it myself even.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Unreal Engine 3.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kolgena

I saw somewhere that a space mod had been started (and dropped) for CryEngine2. It looked quite good. I imagine flight vehicles suck in Crysis only because movement variables for them are really low. I'm not sure how much you could tweak them without bugging physics though.

Crysis has the potential to handle something like hallfight quite nicely (see level "core"), but you'll need to build/find a lot of custom assets. Another thing is the easy implementation of multiple zones on the same map having gravity or not having gravity.

Obviously, performance of CryEngine2 is abysmal, and a lot of your map-making/modding time will be spent on optimization.

Edit: The mod isn't dead: http://www.moddb.com/mods/x32i
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:14:28 am by Kolgena »

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
Crysis has the potential to handle something like hallfight quite nicely (see level "core"), but you'll need to build/find a lot of custom assets. Another thing is the easy implementation of multiple zones on the same map having gravity or not having gravity.
I had fully intended on modeling most of the game's assests anyways.

Obviously, performance of CryEngine2 is abysmal, and a lot of your map-making/modding time will be spent on optimization.
Care to elaborate how the performance is abysmal? As for the map-making and modding, they are also obviously going to take a lot of time. Optimization on any engine for level designing is going to happen, and take a lot of time.
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~