Author Topic: Smaller HUD elements in MediaVPs 2014 vs. 3.6.12?  (Read 2192 times)

Smaller HUD elements in MediaVPs 2014 vs. 3.6.12?
I use and prefer 1680x1050 because it's my monitor's native resolution. I noticed in MediaVPs 2014 that all of the HUD elements are smaller than they are in 3.6.12 and also, of course, without any mod at all. Is this user-customizable in MediaVPs 2014? Can I get back the default size of all HUD elements so that everything is bigger?
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Smaller HUD elements in MediaVPs 2014 vs. 3.6.12?
Have a look at my signature for a way to scale the individual HUD elements when using the mediavps_2014.  It's not exactly user-customisable, it's more into simple modding territory.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Oh wow, this is excellent. I'm very glad I asked. Thank you!

On a positive note, you mentioned that all of the HUD elements would look a bit fuzzy due to scaling, but they look perfectly normal to me at this size. So yeah, I'm 100% happy with this. Thanks again!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
No problem :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Can this be done for FSPort MediaVPs v3.4?

TwoCables I also run at 1680X1050 and was wondering if you could share the files you modified and save me the trouble.  Having some vision problems it would help if they were bigger.

Thanks

Absolutely!

This is the post I obtained the file from, and it includes instructions as well:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87656.msg1750829#msg1750829

In a nutshell, just download this:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=87656.0;attach=22990

...and put it in C:\Games\FreeSpace 2\MediaVPs_2014\data\tables" (you can create the directories"data" and "tables" if they don't already exist).

Thanks

You're welcome, OverDhill. Post another reply if you have any further questions on this!

Well I placed the file in the correct folder structure and took before and after screenshots and see no difference

I am using the cockpit mod so not sure that has some effect.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The cockpit mod will be using a completely different HUD layout so it would require a different table. Also, I'd suspect that simply enabled gauge scaling will either not work if the gauges are being rendered to a texture, or they will exceed the size of the cockpit element they're drawn over and would look a little odd.
----
----

Well I placed the file in the correct folder structure and took before and after screenshots and see no difference

I am using the cockpit mod so not sure that has some effect.

Oh. I didn't know that. Yeah, that's a different HUD altogether.

Roger that