Author Topic: Tell me about Descent  (Read 3816 times)

Offline eliex

Descent 3 is like one of the best ever games I've ever played. It was revolutionary at its time, the SP very well planned. Myself, I haven't played MP so I can't really comment on that.
Anyway, like Mongoose said, $6 for the game there is no way you can lose.

All of Descent's learning curves were steep.  Complex Maps in old school FPSes were like getting lost in New York, while complex maps in Descent were like getting lost in the small intestine.

except the small intestines has no intersections :) there's only one path, one way in, one way out. XD

But I get your point lol.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Yeah, but I challenge you to know which way is in and which way is out once you're in them :P

Easy.  You go in one side, and never let yourself get turned around.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I always particularly enjoyed D3's CTF mode, since it could get ridiculously fluid and fast-paced with two well-balanced teams.  The sadly-underplayed Assault mode was a lot of fun, too, as were one or two of the user-created gametype mods floating around (yay Instareap!)

One of the best things about D3's CTF was that it had a 4 team variant, and that mode actually used to be played often in the Quadsomniac map back then. That added an extra strategic element to it, since you could rapidly increase your score by collecting multiple flags at once.

My favorite game type was Monsterball. There were some balancing issues with it, but it was something truly unique that I haven't seen anything like in any other game.

As for Assault, that is the mode from UT. :p You probably mean Entropy.

All this talk of Descent makes me want to get the HLP multiplayer sessions going again at some point. I was actually watching several demos of our old D2 games just last month. I probably won't have time for it until the summer though.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Easy.  You go in one side, and never let yourself get turned around.

Ignore the sea of digesting food and cilia.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
All this talk of Descent makes me want to get the HLP multiplayer sessions going again at some point. I was actually watching several demos of our old D2 games just last month. I probably won't have time for it until the summer though.

I'd do it. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

My guidebot's name was jerkass
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2RnjPXyYPQ

and

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzDxilKnU8Q

where the commercials I remember seeing on TV that got me interested in the game, indecently that game led me to freespace, and we all know how big of an impact that had on my life.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As for Assault, that is the mode from UT. :p You probably mean Entropy.
That's kind of sad, since I've never even played UT. :p (In my defense, though, there was a user-created mod called Assault that involved destroying reactor structures in enemy bases.) Yes, I did mean Entropy.