Author Topic: Soundscape Enhancement Submission  (Read 5045 times)

Offline morGy

Soundscape Enhancement Submission
Testmod now final version with new counter measure sound and capship secondary explosions expanded by 2 and fixing the remaining mixing snafus! Not VP packed so that other mod authors can easily get to what would change as soon as this gets added to the MediaVPs.

Okay this thing has now grown so intertwined that maintaining a separate thread for the extra sounds no longer makes sense. So this will now be the main thread.

As per Joshua's suggestion the audible range for capital warps has been vastly expanded. The Colly and Sath use a new sound event with extra long range.  The fighters/bombers/escape pods use a new sound event that is slighty higher pitched. the range for freighter/transport/cruiser/corvette has been rougly doubled. The range of beam sounds has also gone through changes. These are more reserved because increasing the audible range of beams quickly increases their overall volume in the mix. aaa beams actually got a slight range decrease.

Many sounds now have random slight pitch changes, which results in a more dynamic soundscape (primaries, secondaries, explosions, beams, flybys, warps etc.)

As my other thread states, there is now size based explosions going from tiny (sentry gun) to massive (juggernaut) 6 sizes with 3 variants each. I have created new impacts that have not been mentioned yet:

new missile explosion, also used as fusion mortar impact
new subsystem missile explosion
new emp missile explosion
new large bomb explosion
new ship explosion shockwaves
new beam impacts which are inspired by what you see in the FS2 intro, sounds like melting armor plating and hull instead of a boom, one variant each for aaa, large beams, and the rest.

By popular demand I have also now created a video you can simply watch. This is not a skill showcase it is an audio showcase.

No great editing here, just me playing through "Their Finest Hour". ( When the Hella shoots the Stalwart you can nicely hear the new beam impact).

I pulled the old mod because the name was no longer fitting. It has been re-uploaded as Soundscape Enhancement Submission. Since this mod only weighs in with 4MB this should not be to bad for anyone.

Alright so much for the updates on this.

So here is another submission I wish to make. A revised sounds.tbl file. While Volitions mix was fine for its time it isn't really up to par anymore. Alas much more could be done with a dynamic mix than with a static mix but there is still things that can be improved upon when taking modern sound design principles into account.

I do not only wish to lay out what I have changed but also explain why I made those changes. That includes volume as well as attenuation range adjustments.

Okay onto the basics first. One thing the current sounds.tbl file doesn't take into account is that low frequency ranges have a different volume from mid or high frequency ranges. What do I mean by that? The established unit to measure volume of sounds is decibel or dB. Yet dB is inadequate to measure volume for the human ear. You can test this for yourself with the file I have attached. There is a low frequency and a high frequency sound in that mp3. Both have exactly the same dB volume but the high frequency sound will be much louder to your ear. A new measurement unit has been developed for this the loudness unit or LU. That is the first thing the revised sounds.tbl takes into account. Low frequency sounds that need it like explosions get the most volume.

High and mid frequency loops and high and mid frequency sounds with a lot of repetition, like guns, missiles and beams have been reduced in volume. These sounds do not require this much volume in the overall mix. They are now less likely to completely overpower sounds that play less often in the mix.

Engine drones have also been reduced in volume since the FSO sound engine does not know playback instance limiting. No longer will you be unable to hear voice audio while flying in the midst of a Vasudan wing.

Flyby and enemy shield impact sounds have been reduced in volume as well. They can still be heard well with less overall volume.

The nebula lightning has been reduced in volume which also has a high tendency to overpower every other sound playing at the same time.

The volume as well as the attenuation range for turret servos is way to high. It doesn't seem realistic that you would hear a turret turning from hundreds of meters away.

The attenuation range for electric arcs has been reduced. A sound such as this just doesn't carry for close to half a km.

The max attenuation range for boom_1 and _3 has been expanded. Loud low sounds like these carry far.

Atomic is the equivalent of a nuke going of as the name states. It is the loudest sound in the mix and the attenuation range has been greatly expanded upon. You can hear a destroyer go even when you are relatively far away from it.

No changes were made to any in cockpit sound, interface or hallway sounds.

These values assure that you can run both effects and voice volume at the full setting and at no point in time should you really be struggling with hearing what command wants from you. No sound effect should completely overpower any other.

P.S. Personal recommendation, do not run EFX. All that does is make your cockpit and space sound like a cathedral and horribly muddies the sounds being played.

EDIT: sound.tbl upgraded to new sound set syntax which allows for pitch randomization. This has also been now included in the mix for a more dynamic soundscape

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:26:30 pm by morGy »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Submitting an overall improved sound mix (sounds.tbl)
I want to get other's opinions on this before including because it's such a broad change. This probably won't make the next release.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This got buried. I'd like to look at this for the next release. But I really want opinions of others. Otherwise I'm making an executive decision and if you all don't like it, too bad. :)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Is there an easy way to get this on Knossos for testing? Or maybe someone could put a comparison video up on youtube
Potato!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
You can merge this into your game easily by manual means. Place the sounds.tbl file in the data/tables directory in the folder of the mod you choose to try this on.
If you want to use this with MediaVPs, place that file in MVPS-(version)/data/tables.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I just gave this a shot, I like it, but I noticed the drop off between sound and no sound due to distance is sharper then before, EG: I can hear a warpin from far away just fine, but if I'm just a bit farther out I can't hear a thing, same for beams and some other sounds.

Distant Warp sounds specifically seem to either sound like they are up close, or are inaudible.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
The attenuation range for electric arcs has been reduced. A sound such as this just doesn't carry for close to half a km.

If I'm understanding this to be the electric buzzing sound a ship makes when near death, hearing it from further away could be a gameplay decision rather than a realistic one. That said, I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl. Thanks for taking the time, morGy!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline morGy

I just gave this a shot, I like it, but I noticed the drop off between sound and no sound due to distance is sharper then before, EG: I can hear a warpin from far away just fine, but if I'm just a bit farther out I can't hear a thing, same for beams and some other sounds.

Distant Warp sounds specifically seem to either sound like they are up close, or are inaudible.

That leaves me baffled, because I changed nothing about warp sounds nor did I touch the attenuation ranges of the beams.

Offline morGy

Okay putting this here as well. There is now an easier way to test this through Knossos. The mod is called Size based explosion sounds and improved sound mix. The new unique explosions have their own thread in the forum.

Suggested tests: (set volume on effects and voice to max!)

Play the rahu miner mission on vasudan side, stay in the formation with the other fighters and try to listen to the conversations in current mvps and the mod

Go to the emp nebula in the second soc loop, compare current mvps and the mod

Play a big capship battle of your choice, compare current mvps and the mod

NOTE: The only valid test case is the FS2 campaign and vanilla missions. Other mods may override changes i have made!

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:42:19 pm by morGy »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If ya'll don't test these, I'm going to add them to the MediaVPs and not remove them when you complain later. Deal? Deal.

I like this.

Improvement suggestions:
1) Arguably the subspace warp-in and warp-out of capital ships should be more prominent, like them exploding. A capship arriving is as big of an event as it exploding. It doesn't have to be as loud, but it def. should be able to be heard from a distance.
2) Beam cannons could use with some impact-based, size-based and/or threat based volume changes: Longer range weapons should be able to be heard from longer distances, whilst something like the AAA beam should become much lower volume beyond the 1500 meter range.

3) Beyond the scope of the sounds.tbl, I would love to see some player-specific volume changes like, say, the impacts that the player's weapons make being louder then the other impact sounds, or just player specific impact sounds in general. I love that feature in modern FPS games. Similarily, making hostile firing sounds and the like more prominent to the player (like an enemy AAA beam being more "urgent" then a friendly one) - I realize that this is beyond what can be done with a table change.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:09:47 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline morGy

Re: Soundscape Enhancement Submission
see first post for updates

Ran into the "partially installed" bug when hooking the new sound mod up

debug: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e6efaafcb0d3321b1c98619
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:04:22 pm by CapellaGoBoom »

Offline morGy

I am afraid I have no idea how to troubleshoot something like this, sorry.

On another note, the Vasudans really got the short end of the stick when it comes to beam sound variety. would you want me to tackle this? i am not talking about anything wild just blending the terslash with the regular vasudan sound to get more of a vslash and maybe something for bvas.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I am afraid I have no idea how to troubleshoot something like this, sorry.

On another note, the Vasudans really got the short end of the stick when it comes to beam sound variety. would you want me to tackle this? i am not talking about anything wild just blending the terslash with the regular vasudan sound to get more of a vslash and maybe something for bvas.

Make sure you're knossos is fully updated and then re upload.

Offline morGy

aight had to add a missing table entry anyway. updated the mod, please try again

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hey, I think you should upgrade some of the older (fs1) weapon sounds along with this.

Offline morGy

Sure, what is it that is exactly being asked for though. Should I just enhance what is there or replicate it with different sounds?

That reminds me Vasudan beam variants, yay, nay?

Yay.

It's not like you're irrevocably replacing anything after all.

Offline morGy

updated with better secondary explosions and new beam sounds for vslash and bvas

Edited to fix embed--Mongoose
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:43:44 pm by Mongoose »