Poll

Do you prefer the flash-only flak, or the flash-plus-fireball flak?

Flash-only
3 (27.3%)
Flash-plus-fireball
8 (72.7%)
Both are worse than the existing effect
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: MediaVPs Tweaks Showcase  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: MediaVPs Tweaks Showcase
All looks lovely. The hybrid flack is spot on.

The only thing I think that could still do with tweaking are the muzzle flashes on the fusion mortars. They look the same as explosions which can make it tricky to wok out if the ship is being hit or if it is firing back or both. A simple pallet swap would probably suffice - make it match the colour of the fusion mortar projectiles / blobs etc. It would look better and be more useful as a visual que :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Hmm. Yeah, I could do that. It'd be a little time-consuming, because that animation is pretty long and I'd have to recolor every frame individually, but it's not a bad idea.

Maybe I'll recolor the first bit to a pale blue, and then fade it into orange, and leave the later frames as-is.

Could you release the current effect of the Fusion Mortar too? I like this one~

The muzzle-flash? It's just -- exp04, I think? Maybe 05? It's an existing explosion effect in the MediaVPs -- I think it's used for subsystem destructions, hence why it's confusing to have it as a muzzleflash.

I like the Shivan "flame" effects on their lasers. That's a good choice. The strobe/orb aesthetic is not.

I like the Shivan "flame" effects on their lasers. That's a good choice. The strobe/orb aesthetic is not.

Care to elaborate? I assume you mean the muzzle ring/flash, or are you talking about the megafunk laser?

Just my opinion, but I don't think the megafunk laser effect is fitting. Not that the effect itself is bad, in fact it is pretty good (speaking of the bitmap, the impact is good), but the feel I'm getting is that it suits more WoD than classical FS.

The issue with the megafunk is that it's so unbelievably slow. So if you do a normal...oblong, or teardrop-shaped, or whatever type of bolt, well, for one, it'll look like it's supposed to be moving more quickly, and for another, the sprite-swiveling issue will be really, really bad. The previous megafunk bitmap showcased both those problems.

So by going for a sphere, I can sidestep those issues. Still, I don't love it.

...Though I'm not sure I agree that it doesn't feel FreeSpacey enough. One thing I'm learning doing this is that lots of people have lots of Ideas About What Belongs In FreeSpace, most of which don't make very much sense to me.

Well while I don't want to argue about what is "FS" and what not, that design is a departure from most other mod designs that have been made so far, including INF or BP. That can be for worse or for better of course.

Videos 1 & 2 are hard nopes. Video 4 looks pretty good!
They just look like VFX from Metroid or something. They're exotic, but when I think Shivan weaponry, I think rending, tearing, burning. Unbelievably devastating.
Look at the Shivan firing it's spider arm gun in Hall fight. There's a charging partical effect, but the beam itself is a DBZ style torrent of energy that burns everything around it to ash.
That's why I like the fireball look, but not the strobe/roman candle trail look.
Yeah, also have to say I'm not a fan of "the orb."

Those are already part of the MVPs though.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Is it just me or do the vote tallies not match the opinions posted here?  Because I see way more in favor of Flash+Fireball then Flash only. . .

Vote in the darn poll people.  :rolleyes: 
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Flash + fireball all the way. Love it.

This entire topic is gorgeous.

Hey, a couple suggestions from me:
The idea for recoloring fusion mortar muzzle flash is a great one. But I'd also say that its impact explosion is kind of underwhelming. Would it be acceptable to resize it a bit?
So what came to be of Shivan flak? What's visible in the video is pretty distinct and okay but I think it's possible to do better, especially now that we've got some interesting regular flak effect. Maybe make the red flak "explosion" a bit more chaotic and irregular, and the inside of it filling up with some slight red fog?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Was this the right recolored effect for the Harbinger muzzle flash?

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

But I'd also say that its impact explosion is kind of underwhelming. Would it be acceptable to resize it a bit?

Well the fusion mortar is kind of underwhelming, having a big impact effect makes it look way more powerful than it is.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Well, the Fusion Mortar isn't *that* weak, it's supposed to do 160 damage per second, with light beams being: SRed 167, SGreen 64, LTerSlash 182, and SVas at 241.
So, a single fusion Mortar turret has basically the same anti-cap damage output as a Cain, a bit more than an Aeolus, is a half of the damage potential of a Fenris and majority of a Leviathan.

My point is the most about the missile's big fat trail really covering up the impact explosion. Just, let the explosion be a noticeably bigger than the trail.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

A single Fusion Mortar does as much damage as a Harpoon though.

My point is the most about the missile's big fat trail really covering up the impact explosion. Just, let the explosion be a noticeably bigger than the trail.

Yep it's a rather fancy effect, it should be scaled down a bit.

Yep it's a rather fancy effect, it should be scaled down a bit.

I sorta...can't do that.

So, here's the deal. Scaling down the particle radius makes the particles, visually, further apart relative to their size. We don't want them too far apart -- that looks weird; it makes it too obvious that this trail of rocket flames is actually a series of discrete round objects.

So there are two potential ways of dealing with this: spawn particles more frequently, or increase the particle speed so that they're more clumped together (then maybe increase the particle lifespan so that the trail is the same length). Unfortunately, I can't do either of these things.

I'm already spawning one set of particles every frame. AIUI, pspew can't do any more than that. I can increase the particle count, but for the Plume type -- which is what I'm using -- that just makes it so that more particles spawn adjacent to each other each frame. (Helix actually will do this properly, but, well, then it's a helix.)

Now, if I used $inflight effect in conjunction with -part.tbm, I could spawn arbitrary numbers of particles each frame and have it work correctly -- but -part.tbm has a huge limitation which makes it nonviable for this task: it can only spawn particles at the exact location of whatever's spawning them, not in a disk like $pspew's default or plume types. That means that if I want any irregularity in the particle positions, rather than having them be a perfectly straight line, I'd need to have them expand outward from the central line, and that wouldn't end up looking good at all.

So what about increasing the particle speed? That should work, right? There's a +vel option under $pspew. Well... I'm using plume, so that I can spawn the particles in a disk at the projectile and then have them move inward to create a nice rat-tail effect. Now here's the thing. For reasons that completely escape me, for plume and ring type effects, the +vel field...doesn't...****in'...work. It's a valid field! You can enter whatever number you want, and the game doesn't throw you an error or anything. It just...doesn't do anything. The particles will be stationary, no matter what number you enter.

So that's where we're at. I'll have more options if the +vel issue is...fixed? I assume it's a bug? or if -part.tbm's functionality is expanded to allow for disk or sphere spawning. I'll work on trying to submit bug reports/feature requests for those two issues -- for the second one, -part.tbm is already very very good, but improving it in that way would expand its usefulness dramatically, and I think it's very worth doing unless it would be super hard to implement for some reason.

Admittedly, I could just bite the bullet scale down the particles. Spawning them in clusters like I have it now does make it look a lot more natural even if they are far apart. I'll experiment with that.

Well if there's a bug it should certainly be fixed. :) Also, I'd like to see more features for the particle table but it might be hard to find somebody to work on that right now.