Author Topic: Game Devs should ignore their fans  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Game Devs should ignore their fans
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: Game Devs should ignore their fans
He's right. It's a business and we're not representitive.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Absobloodylutely.  It's fans that lead to Epic making games with gigantic chrome crotchguards and any game starring a 'street' personality.

I resent the stereotype of hardcore gamers "screaming and yelling" whenever they get to a point that they can't overcome. Yes, I know there are plenty of kids doing just that, but I wouldn't call them "hardcore", I'd call them: "whiners pretending to be hardcore".

Other than that, I think it was a legitimate claim. The people on the message boards do not represent the opinions of gamers as a whole. Therefore they shouldn't be treated as the definitive view of the entire gaming community.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
i read the first 2 paragraphs and the rest was like: bla bla bla blaaaablablabla :/
I hate My signature!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I resent the very concept of 'hardcore' in gaming.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I automatically ignore someone who starts 'yelling' in the first place, I don't think I could ever say something was wrong with a game without giving a specific reason why I think it's wrong.

I suppose it's sort of like all the arguments on what is 'canon' and what isn't, and not just in the case of Freespace, I've seen these arguments flare up on Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG and several other boards, and it really is a pointless argument. Canon is what the developers of the game/mod say it is.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
While I must agree to some extent that listening to the vocal minority has lead gaming where it is today, and where it is today sucks, they make a fatal error in that article.

They advocate the elimination of using members of the public to beta test. I'm sorry, but that just can't lead anywhere good. Q&A is too important to be left in the hands of those trained for it.  Professionals are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs, and those are the people you need to worry about.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

You and all the other people who complained about Hot Coffee. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

You need only look at something like Neverwinter Nights to see how wrong those sentiments can be. Sure, the majority of people on gaming forums are idiots, but developers are generally smart people (although one ironically named exception comes to mind, heh heh) and they're quite capable of filtering out the genuinely good suggestions from the bad.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. And the ones incapable of figuring out what is a bad suggestion will still be incapable of doing it when another dev suggests it instead of a fan.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

You and all the other people who complained about Hot Coffee. :p

Pff.

That was softcore.

Offline Inquisitor

Ultimately, game fans end up demanding so much more than they "need" and you end up getting alot of "wouldn't it be great if FS2 was an RTS? Can we change the engine to do that?"

Feedback is great, but you can;t please everyone and you should never try if you expect to ship a coherent, finished product in any kind of reasonable amount of time.
No signature.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
True but some of those suggestions are good ones. And some of the complaints are legitimate and will be repeated by the majority of the public if they aren't addressed by the developer.

SadisticSid is right on the money. You shouldn't just ignore the hardcore gamer. You need to know when to ignore the hardcore gamer.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
I don't think the onus is on the gamers to shut up totally.  Gamers, at least those who want to be taken seriously (like us here, we're a pretty decent bunch), should and usually do present their issues in clear and well thought out comments.

The bigger responsibility is on the developer to not react to your 11 year old gamer whining about his own lack of skill....or to the gamer who just dislikes that kind of game.  both are pretty simple to spot.  usually their sentences start "THIS GAME IS $&!~...."

The article is good in that the developers should have a clarity of vision and not depart from it.  the article is not good in that it paints ALL gamers as whiny, useless, unreliable, and detrimental.  That clearly is untrue.  if we were that, FS2 would likely have been forgotten many years ago in favour of something with more sparkles...  The real hardcore cares about their game, and wants the best for it.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Too often, though, perfectly good games get confused, turned around and bashed over the head by those who claim to love them most. It's tragic, really. They enter beta, with all their bright ideas and shiny new toys and then some 14-year-old screams, "This sucks!" At a company with strong leadership and vision, this is read, digested and considered, but rarely do they succumb to the mighty weight of one 14-year-old and a few of his buddies. At a not-so-steady company, a post or 10 like that can be fatal.

I have never done that...

If the beta feedback includes reasons why they thought it was bad (good reasons I mean), then it is useful.

Most of the time.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Problem is, if people got everything they wanted in a game, they get a Jack of All Trades and Master of None, and then they complain about the 'average graphics', 'too much micromanagement' etc. People think they want it all, and then realise they have to do it all.

Offline Axem

You mean like Universal Combattlecruiser 1500000AD?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
More or less, yes, I'm sure every developer would like to write a game like BC3000AD, and I don't mean that as a joke, but the problems DS has encountered is exactly the reason most gaming companies have to force limits on themselves.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
did you just say DEREK SMART?  :shaking:
I hate My signature!