Author Topic: [RELEASE] Reunion Act 2  (Read 12106 times)

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
[RELEASE] Reunion Act 2

DOWNLOAD LINK

THE STORY CONTINUES
______________________________________________________________ ___

The story of Reunion continues from the viewpoint of Lieutenant Alex Miller, a rookie GTVA officer assigned to patrol the newly discovered systems beyond Laramis. Miller’s combat unit, stationed on the GTCv Warsaw, enter the uncharted LHS 288 system just as the Alliance opens the Olympus subspace portal in Delta Serpentis.

Unaware of the disaster unfolding a few systems away, Miller and his team soon find themselves in a lonely, desperate and chaotic world. The inexperienced officer will have to rapidly build up his leadership abilities to survive the ensuing collapse.

Even as the Terran and Vasudan species are facing the return of their greatest nemesis, shadowy political figures seek to exploit the disaster to their own advantage, forcing Miller to make difficult decisions.

NEW FEATURES
______________________________________________________________ ____________

Like Act 1, Reunion Act 2: Apocalypse draws upon the vast creative talent the Freespace 2 modding community has amassed over the years, introducing a wide variety of new ships, skins and weapons, some entirely unique to this mod.

Special care was given to implement the community feedback the first installment received into Act 2, so the new chapter introduces an overall more balanced gameplay, better ship mechanics, improved characters and storytelling and save / load features.

The Reunion campaign now includes:
     ○   25 new missions.
     ○   2 endings for Act 1, 3 endings for Act 2.
     ○   More than 50 new ships, installations and stellar objects.
     ○   A dozen new weapons, most of them never before seen in any other mod.
     ○   A dynamic plot with interesting and diverse characters.
     ○   Epic music and custom skyboxes.

Full credits are listed in the mod's root folder, it will also be listed at the end of the campaign once it is fully complete.

WHAT IS REUNION?

Reunion is a lore-friendly, story-driven Freespace 2 campaign with fast-paced fighter combat and epic capital ship battles. The mod aims to capture the look and feel of the original Freespace franchise, providing new content with a sense of authenticity.

The main campaign is set 12-13 years after the Capella incident, as the GTVA is nearing the conclusion of its gate construction effort in Delta Serpentis. The Alliance couldn't quite recover from the second Shivan incursion, stretching its resources thin in an effort to both rebuild its fleet and find a way back to Earth.

Reunion is different from other campaigns of a similar theme in that it is not centered around the theme of exploring Sol, but is heavily focused on the internal politics of the GTVA and the social problems the Alliance faces after the Capella incident. As thus, a high degree of attention was given to craft Reunion’s story in a way that it is full of scheming, plot twists and political intrigue.

For more information, please visit the release thread of Act 1.

GAMEPLAY SCREENSHOTS

FAQ

Q: How do I install Act 2?
A: Act 2 is not a standalone mod, but an update to the Reunion mod file released earlier. If you have Reunion already installed, you only need to update it in Knossos. If you don't have it downloaded, please use the links provided in the thread or the Knossos installer.

Q: Can I play Act 2 without finishing Act 1 (again)?
A: Yes, Act 2 is accessible from the campaign selection room as a standalone campaign. It is however, recommended to go through Act 1 even if you finished it earlier, as many things have been modified since the initial release.

Q: Why did Act 2’s development take so long?
A: Aside personal reasons, the mod is in an overall much more refined state than Act 1 was, when it was released. It is also longer, offering an altogether 15 playable missions (out of which you’ll go through 12-13 depending on your decisions), whereas Act 1 had only 10.

Q: Still no GTVA-Earth war?
Spoiler:
A: No.

Q: Why does the Act 2 of Reunion carry on from the viewpoint of a different protagonist?
Spoiler:
A: One of the possible endings of Act 1 is that the previous protagonist, Captain Simmons, dies.

Q: I would like to explore a different ending, how do I do that?
A: For now, only by replaying Reunion – Act 2 or tweaking the mission files.

Q: I found a bug or have a suggestion! Where can I make a report?
A: If you encounter any bugs not listed in the "more to come" section, please contact me either via a private message or post in this thread. Please do the same if you have any suggestions with which this campaign could be improved. I am very grateful for any feedback I can get and I made sure to implement as much of the feedback I got for Act 1 as I could into Act 2 as well..

Q: When will Act 3 be released?
A: No exact timetable yet.

MORE TO COME

Even though the first two acts of Reunion are now playable, improvements are still planned for both the currently released missions and Act 3 as well.

Long term plans include the addition of:
     ○   Act 3
     ○   Improved HUD
     ○   Custom mainhall and briefing animations
     ○   End credits cutscene
     ○   Full character voiceovers
     ○   Custom fonts
     ○   Better tech descriptions
     ○   Correction of potential grammar and spelling mistakes

While the development continues, do not hesitate to give feedback! Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: [RELEASE] Reunion Act 2
Congratulations :]. It's actually very reasonable timeframe for Act 2 development, and you've made it further then majority of mod projects on HLP with 2 released acts. Including both of mine...

I'll give it a try at the first, free moment I get.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
Congratulations :]. It's actually very reasonable timeframe for Act 2 development, and you've made it further then majority of mod projects on HLP with 2 released acts. Including both of mine...

I'll give it a try at the first, free moment I get.

Thanks! Also, thanks again for your assets and I wish you luck on your projects! :)

Looking forward to your feedback!

Offline CT27

I'll give this a try in about a week or so (I usually wait that long after a campaign releases to try it...just in case any quick updates/fixes are released) but I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm looking forward to playing this :nod::yes:

I'll play in the next few days. I want to leave time for fixes, plus I lost all my data when cloning my pilot and am waiting for a fix

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
I'll give this a try in about a week or so (I usually wait that long after a campaign releases to try it...just in case any quick updates/fixes are released) but I'm really looking forward to it.

Hope you'll enjoy! Looking forward to your feedback!

I'm looking forward to playing this :nod::yes:

I hope you'll enjoy it! Also, thanks for the highlight! :)

I'll play in the next few days. I want to leave time for fixes, plus I lost all my data when cloning my pilot and am waiting for a fix

Hope you'll have a great time! Make sure to write feedback! Also, you can play Act 2 with a newly created pilot as well :)

I was able to get through most of it, but the Olympus gate mission doesn't work properly.   Sigma 1 doesn't die, it drags on enough that I had to use time compression, and although I technically beat it, I couldn't dock with the Pharoah class destroyer, preventing me from properly completing it.  Up until then, it was pretty good

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
I was able to get through most of it, but the Olympus gate mission doesn't work properly.   Sigma 1 doesn't die, it drags on enough that I had to use time compression, and although I technically beat it, I couldn't dock with the Pharoah class destroyer, preventing me from properly completing it.  Up until then, it was pretty good

Apologies. A hotfix has been published.

The mission works now and I properly completed the campaign
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 06:08:12 pm by ShivanSlayer »

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
The mission works now and I properly completed the campaign

Excellent, I hope you had a great time.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I made it. Like it, but sadly, not as much as I liked the first act.

Spoiler:
The best part of this campaign is the isolationist arc and entering desolated GTVA space. Narrative, mission style, music and chatters executes gloomy, post-apocalyptic mood that I dived hard into. Mission with desolated civilian station in Ross 128 is excellent, and the moment of shivan arrival perfectly sells "we're ****ed!" vibe. Isolationist efforts in the newly-discovered systems portrays bureaucratic inertia, that should follow potential Shivan invasion. FS universe in the first half of the campaign is eerie, mysterious, opressive and... Appropiately dying. It's one of the rare pieces of FS post-apo that sells the mood right.

Unfortunately the campaign takes different direction after our reunion with the GTVA, and offers no detailed writing and interesting plottwists. We just counterattack the Shivans. Fortunately it still offers entertaining gameplay that I know this campaign from. The mission with rescuing Formidable is interesting challenge that requires player to figure out the mission flow, but fortunately does that well. Operating drone wing is crucial, as they are the most powerful asset at player's disposal, so carreful and considered deployment of this wing nicely defines balance of that mission. Seeing our drones crushing swarms of shivan bombers before they die is hella satisfying. Go, my AI bois! Get 'em!

The mission with 3 civilian stations is my very favourite in the entire campaign. The RTS aspect is briliant, entertaining and makes player extremely influential at the mission outcome. I killed that poor Demon :]. And I saved all 3 stations. I have two small complaints: Before the last wave of shivan bombers appears, our carrier notifies us that it's proper moment to call the support ship, but it's simply not enough time for resupply. I was close to the middle station, when Vidys and Yalis reached the station, and when I was ready to fight, I was forced to rush like hell to that attacked station. It miraclously survived at 9%. The second issue is arrival of our torpedo cruisers. I suspected that they will arrive at Demon's flank so the destroyer can still kill them, but I wasn't aware which flank it will be. Fortunately I guessed correctly and killed the LRed at the right broadside, so our cruisers hammered the Psoglav safely. A simple Pharos indicating the arrival position of our cruisers would help the player a lot, and reduce the guessing game.

This is where nightmare begin. The first Sathanas mission.

Aaaargh...

I get a bomber with 10 gunpoints by default, and a Kayser in 6-firepoint bank. I think "this things must be nuts", so I make my attempt. Sarissa runs out of energy after 4-5 of Kayser bursts. Quick adjustment of loadout to replace Kayser with Uber Subach... And I'm completely op xD. This thing has basically no energy consumption... So let's rock!

But it was just the first step. The briefing recommend me a light bomber with 10 guns, so I assumed this thing has all the firepower to accomplish the task. It does not. Killing a single shivan carrier is hard due to low amount of ordinance my bomber carries. I quickly figured out that this thing is basically OP Athena, so I quickly switched my tactics to killing shivan drones, while my heavy bombers were dealing with carriers... And that drones are nuts. They just keep coming. Endlessly. I scored something like 40-50 kills in this mission, dogfighting like hell, but my heavy bombers still died. Nothing I had at my disposal was even close to damaging a Sath, so I figured out that this one is just scripted to be a failure. Perhaps heavy bomber would do better work as default choice, but this mission suffers from being designed to be a failure.

Default craft suggests a lot to the player. If it's loaded with Akheton by default, it suggests that disarming/disabling of large target will happen in this mission. Players assume, that default loadout is good to accomplish the mission. This time the default pick is a deadly trap. Argh, and the distances... Half of this mission is just "smash your tab like crazy". This one was bad, confusing and overwhelming.

Second mission with Sathanas is the opposite. It's self playing. I'm locked in my OP Athena due to red alert, so again I have 0 firepower against the Sathanas. My bank of 5 Jackhammers is not enough to kill a single beam. Fortunately my vasudan fellas quickly do everything for me, and the poor Sathy used it's beams 0 times. Again: **** the Sathanas. Let's just kill every annoying, shivan mosquito around.

Debris of the Sath hit the civilian station hard, and while station itself seems to be guardianed at this point, the large, blocky liner docked in the station's ring provided victory fireworks probably at the cost of thousands of lifes... But who cares? We killed a Sath!

Suddenly enormous fleet of friendly warships appreared around. None of them fired a single shot at Sath. They do absolutely nothing, but making me confused. Themis did basically everything here. Aquitaine never even tried to bring her main beams to bear, heading at random direction without participation in the battle... At all. At this point I focused on defending Themis, but even without my dogfighting she would be completely fine.

What now... Aww, right. The counterattack in Delta Serpentis. I have to TAG targets for Themis, but she rips everything to pieces without my intervention. Friendly and hostile warships around me, heading to random directions, shootin... Everything is confusing like hell. Normandy dies, Themis is going for pair of Vassago destroyers, they withdraw after a single volley... I have no idea what I was supposed to do in this mission. I dogfighted entire time, sometimes tagged something for Themis if some shivan warship is outside her firing arcs.

Reunion was known from well-fredded BoEs in my opinion. Neither of those 3 BoEs are well-freded. All are chaotic, confusing and unbalanced.

Fortunately that's where the pain ends. The Olympus mission was good, full of chatters and sets the mood correctly. I sided with terrans, because I wanted to go to Sol and check what's there. I'd like to have option to explore the vasudan branch without replying the entire campaign.

The mission in Sol nebula was cool, eerie and features good chatters again.

So...

Did I enjoy it? Yeah. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but overally it's much more good about the sequel, then bad. Character development improved a lot. I loved the plot of our former, butthurting squadron leader, and Tex is feeling like that closest buddy that player character can go to hell and back with. I hear less anime music, but way more cool stuff. Vikings soundtrack fits to the campaign surprisingly well. Overally the music pumps adrenaline into my veins in right moments and rocks ass, depsite lacking... Consistency.

What should be improved:
- Messy BoEs.
- New weapons use basically no energy at all.
- Some shivans craft, like Vidy and Gorgon needs rebalancing. They are sponges for damage, mostly due to overclocked shield values. This campaign continues the unholy tradition of the community to make Vidy and Gorgon a nightmare to fight.
- All of new weapons are the same, except the Spear. And none of them has good shield damage. Circe is still available, but has low projectile velocity, so it's performance is lackluster against all those crazy shivan interceptors.
- Many older models still use vanilla tilemaps.

Final verdict: 6,5/10. Still a good campaign I would recommend, but Act 1 seems to be much more polished.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
I made it. Like it, but sadly, not as much as I liked the first act.

Spoiler:
The best part of this campaign is the isolationist arc and entering desolated GTVA space. Narrative, mission style, music and chatters executes gloomy, post-apocalyptic mood that I dived hard into. Mission with desolated civilian station in Ross 128 is excellent, and the moment of shivan arrival perfectly sells "we're ****ed!" vibe. Isolationist efforts in the newly-discovered systems portrays bureaucratic inertia, that should follow potential Shivan invasion. FS universe in the first half of the campaign is eerie, mysterious, opressive and... Appropiately dying. It's one of the rare pieces of FS post-apo that sells the mood right.

Unfortunately the campaign takes different direction after our reunion with the GTVA, and offers no detailed writing and interesting plottwists. We just counterattack the Shivans. Fortunately it still offers entertaining gameplay that I know this campaign from. The mission with rescuing Formidable is interesting challenge that requires player to figure out the mission flow, but fortunately does that well. Operating drone wing is crucial, as they are the most powerful asset at player's disposal, so carreful and considered deployment of this wing nicely defines balance of that mission. Seeing our drones crushing swarms of shivan bombers before they die is hella satisfying. Go, my AI bois! Get 'em!

The mission with 3 civilian stations is my very favourite in the entire campaign. The RTS aspect is briliant, entertaining and makes player extremely influential at the mission outcome. I killed that poor Demon :]. And I saved all 3 stations. I have two small complaints: Before the last wave of shivan bombers appears, our carrier notifies us that it's proper moment to call the support ship, but it's simply not enough time for resupply. I was close to the middle station, when Vidys and Yalis reached the station, and when I was ready to fight, I was forced to rush like hell to that attacked station. It miraclously survived at 9%. The second issue is arrival of our torpedo cruisers. I suspected that they will arrive at Demon's flank so the destroyer can still kill them, but I wasn't aware which flank it will be. Fortunately I guessed correctly and killed the LRed at the right broadside, so our cruisers hammered the Psoglav safely. A simple Pharos indicating the arrival position of our cruisers would help the player a lot, and reduce the guessing game.

This is where nightmare begin. The first Sathanas mission.

Aaaargh...

I get a bomber with 10 gunpoints by default, and a Kayser in 6-firepoint bank. I think "this things must be nuts", so I make my attempt. Sarissa runs out of energy after 4-5 of Kayser bursts. Quick adjustment of loadout to replace Kayser with Uber Subach... And I'm completely op xD. This thing has basically no energy consumption... So let's rock!

But it was just the first step. The briefing recommend me a light bomber with 10 guns, so I assumed this thing has all the firepower to accomplish the task. It does not. Killing a single shivan carrier is hard due to low amount of ordinance my bomber carries. I quickly figured out that this thing is basically OP Athena, so I quickly switched my tactics to killing shivan drones, while my heavy bombers were dealing with carriers... And that drones are nuts. They just keep coming. Endlessly. I scored something like 40-50 kills in this mission, dogfighting like hell, but my heavy bombers still died. Nothing I had at my disposal was even close to damaging a Sath, so I figured out that this one is just scripted to be a failure. Perhaps heavy bomber would do better work as default choice, but this mission suffers from being designed to be a failure.

Default craft suggests a lot to the player. If it's loaded with Akheton by default, it suggests that disarming/disabling of large target will happen in this mission. Players assume, that default loadout is good to accomplish the mission. This time the default pick is a deadly trap. Argh, and the distances... Half of this mission is just "smash your tab like crazy". This one was bad, confusing and overwhelming.

Second mission with Sathanas is the opposite. It's self playing. I'm locked in my OP Athena due to red alert, so again I have 0 firepower against the Sathanas. My bank of 5 Jackhammers is not enough to kill a single beam. Fortunately my vasudan fellas quickly do everything for me, and the poor Sathy used it's beams 0 times. Again: **** the Sathanas. Let's just kill every annoying, shivan mosquito around.

Debris of the Sath hit the civilian station hard, and while station itself seems to be guardianed at this point, the large, blocky liner docked in the station's ring provided victory fireworks probably at the cost of thousands of lifes... But who cares? We killed a Sath!

Suddenly enormous fleet of friendly warships appreared around. None of them fired a single shot at Sath. They do absolutely nothing, but making me confused. Themis did basically everything here. Aquitaine never even tried to bring her main beams to bear, heading at random direction without participation in the battle... At all. At this point I focused on defending Themis, but even without my dogfighting she would be completely fine.

What now... Aww, right. The counterattack in Delta Serpentis. I have to TAG targets for Themis, but she rips everything to pieces without my intervention. Friendly and hostile warships around me, heading to random directions, shootin... Everything is confusing like hell. Normandy dies, Themis is going for pair of Vassago destroyers, they withdraw after a single volley... I have no idea what I was supposed to do in this mission. I dogfighted entire time, sometimes tagged something for Themis if some shivan warship is outside her firing arcs.

Reunion was known from well-fredded BoEs in my opinion. Neither of those 3 BoEs are well-freded. All are chaotic, confusing and unbalanced.

Fortunately that's where the pain ends. The Olympus mission was good, full of chatters and sets the mood correctly. I sided with terrans, because I wanted to go to Sol and check what's there. I'd like to have option to explore the vasudan branch without replying the entire campaign.

The mission in Sol nebula was cool, eerie and features good chatters again.

So...

Did I enjoy it? Yeah. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but overally it's much more good about the sequel, then bad. Character development improved a lot. I loved the plot of our former, butthurting squadron leader, and Tex is feeling like that closest buddy that player character can go to hell and back with. I hear less anime music, but way more cool stuff. Vikings soundtrack fits to the campaign surprisingly well. Overally the music pumps adrenaline into my veins in right moments and rocks ass, depsite lacking... Consistency.

What should be improved:
- Messy BoEs.
- New weapons use basically no energy at all.
- Some shivans craft, like Vidy and Gorgon needs rebalancing. They are sponges for damage, mostly due to overclocked shield values. This campaign continues the unholy tradition of the community to make Vidy and Gorgon a nightmare to fight.
- All of new weapons are the same, except the Spear. And none of them has good shield damage. Circe is still available, but has low projectile velocity, so it's performance is lackluster against all those crazy shivan interceptors.
- Many older models still use vanilla tilemaps.

Final verdict: 6,5/10. Still a good campaign I would recommend, but Act 1 seems to be much more polished.

Thank you for your honest feedback, Nyctaeus! It means a lot! :)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I notice there is an update on knossos. Has it been changed since the version I playtested? If so, what's changed? Is there a change log?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
I notice there is an update on knossos. Has it been changed since the version I playtested? If so, what's changed? Is there a change log?

A lot has changed indeed! I did my best to implement as much of the valuable feedback you and other beta testers gave me before this version was released. Sadly, there is no change log.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

A lot has changed indeed! I did my best to implement as much of the valuable feedback you and other beta testers gave me before this version was released. Sadly, there is no change log.

Guess I'll just have to play it to find out then :-)

Did the update affect part one too? IIR that had many of the same issues - ships with the wrong number of guns being the main one. Replaying it with the correct amount of Pew Pew would be great :-)

Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

"Copying retail files failed". Act 2 does not recognize the Act 1 or retail installation via "old-knossos" on Ubuntu 20.04

Additionally, all retail mods and any other mods from there are not showing up

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev

Guess I'll just have to play it to find out then :-)

Did the update affect part one too? IIR that had many of the same issues - ships with the wrong number of guns being the main one. Replaying it with the correct amount of Pew Pew would be great :-)

Indeed, Act 1 has been updated as well and I tried to stamp out the issue with the misnumbered gun ports as per your recommendation as well. However, I'll have to admit: tech descriptions still are probably the weakest aspect of the mod and there is more work to be done in this regard.

"Copying retail files failed". Act 2 does not recognize the Act 1 or retail installation via "old-knossos" on Ubuntu 20.04

Additionally, all retail mods and any other mods from there are not showing up

I'm sorry, I am absolutely unfamiliar with the Ubuntu operating system. However, this looks like an issue with Knossos, rather than this mod in particular. I recommend maybe contacting the creator of the Knossos launcher.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Indeed, Act 1 has been updated as well and I tried to stamp out the issue with the misnumbered gun ports as per your recommendation as well. However, I'll have to admit: tech descriptions still are probably the weakest aspect of the mod and there is more work to be done in this regard.

Awesome! I’ll give both campaigns a whirl once I get finished playtesting another campaign - so probably next week. Let me know when you need my writing skills and I’ll add Reunion 1 and 2 to the list 👍

It Asks me where to find the root_fs2.vp which is located in
/home/$USER/FS2/FS2 while all other stuff is located one Level higher.
All generic Installations via Knossos
Something changed from act 1 to 2 from your end? Act 1 worked but not anymore
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 02:51:27 pm by praseodym »