Author Topic: Freeware Games?  (Read 8298 times)

Does anyone know of any good Freeware games out there? I've tried searching many times through google, but I haven't found anything that really grabs my interests.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Some nice ones I've played in the last several months are Neverball (puzzle game where you guide a ball through various obstacle courses, hard and very addictive), Hurrican (2D platformer, very polished and nice graphics) and Trackmania Nations Forever (arcade stunt racing game, similar to Rollcage's scramble mode).

Offline aRaven

how about freespace 2? ^^

You could try torrent, most games on there aren't "freeware" but you still aren't paying for them :P

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Every game is freeware if you look hard enough.  ;)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Ooh, sizzler, you pirate. :drevil:

Have you seen this?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There are quite a bit of freeware games listed here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=80&threadid=1207656

[DW]-Hunter & thesizzler, please refrain from provoking people to pirate games/software in these forums.

Offline Solatar

how about freespace 2? ^^

FS2 isn't freeware.

Armagetron Advanced ( http://armagetronad.net/ ) proved to be very addictive to me. It's kind of simple, but the online play isn't so bad. It was more addictive the last few weeks of school when some friends and I played LAN games during economics...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What Makes You Tick - Adventure game in the Monkey Island style. Pretty good if a little short.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Well the "big" guns in the Open Source FPS crowd are:

Nexuiz
Warsow
Tremulous
Sauerbraten
Cube
Alien Arena

I'd have to say Nexuiz and Alien Arena are the most fun. Nexuiz is like Quake 3 on cocaine, it's all about reaction time and lightening quick reactions. It's kinda laggy though.

Warsow is fun, I guess, but I never really liked it.

Tremulous is fun for a week or so, but it really gets old terribly fast.

Sauerbraten is sort of a weak attempt to make a new original Quake. Cube is what it's (originally) based off of.

I'd recommend downloading Quake 1 (not technically legal, but not as morally painful compared to say, downloading Bioshock) and installing Darkplaces. It's not a deep and mystical gaming experience, but it'll knock some hours out of your day.

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_games_released_as_freeware - it doesnt have every game thats old but its a good list of games. also one name you will like to see in there!!! :D

one such site that does freeware games, http://www.reloaded.org.
stragry, a polish site did freeware games at one time but i not certain any further about that site.
home of the underdogs does freeware but is prone to viruses and worms hitting the site, so do so under your own risk.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
http://liberatedgames.com/

Most of them are a complete waste of time.

Offline Topgun

vega strike.
but it's meh.

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Ur Quan Masters: (a.k.a. Star Control 2 Remake) Best scenario I know of, extremely fun to play and fun to read. You don't need to play the 1 which mostly was an arcade game.

Battle for Wesnoth : CLEARLY the best open-source strategy game out there, but you need to like Fantasy.

Vega Strike and Privateer Remake (same source code, different games) (BEWARE : NOT  PRIVATEER GEMINI GOLD, except if you're a fan of abandonware and you want to play "pure"). They are space sim with a strong trading element.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:38:48 pm by Narwhal »

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Oh... and if you speak French, there is that wonderful game just out :

www.hordes.fr

With a group of 40 players, you must survive as long as possible as a city against Hordes of Zombies, by trying to fetch ressources in the dangerous desert, banning from the city or better hanging non-cooperative players (those stealing the communauty defenses to barricade their home for instance, or doing too little for them to deserve getting water from the almost empty well), building defenses, killing zombies, etc etc.
Great game... I discovered it one week ago, it replaced FS2 as my main game :)

Should be translated soon, though. Since it had a major success in France (>40 000 players).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:34:31 pm by Narwhal »

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Geneforge... it's a prettied up diablo, but it's really addictive and has 3 (IIRC) sequels. It's not "freeware" but it is one of those games where you can download the demo, and activate it with a key. and it says in the license you can give the to your friends... so, we're all friends here right?  :nervous:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Hey, I play Wesnoth (here and there) too... :nervous:

Try learning how to run DOSBox. Once you do that, you can play Stargunner and BioMenace on a modern operating system. Both games are from 3D Realms.

Alternatively, have you seen this?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.