Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270525 times)

Offline Aesaar

Until they make the games more than 12v12 arena deathmatches, community warfare won't make the fundamental game any more enjoyable.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Not that it's actually not enjoyable, it's just neckbeards being neckbeards about "the tabletop, man."
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's actually not enjoyable
This game could have been so much more, so much better.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Yeah... It's entertaining for me in brief spurts, but the dev crawl is so slow and their vision of the game is so small that I'm not impressed, still.

If they want to do community warfare, they should at least try adding some asymmetrical warfare modes, other things that actually can build the universe.

If anything, their worst sin is not doing anything to introduce players to the lore of the universe.  They assume we all already know it. ****, the fans do a better job at it than the devs do (also FS2 quotes yaaaaay).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:30:00 pm by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Ooh, where are the FS2 quotes?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
In the links.  It's from Bosch's monologues, and they fit quite well, surprisingly.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Case in point right here. "The tabletop, maaaaaannnnn! It could have been like that!"

**** that. It plays, it plays well. You simply want to hate it now.

The dev crawl complaints are instead encouraging the devs to engage in vast overcorrective swings that brought us phantom heat and poptarting, that resulted back in the beta days in one day waking up and finding all your brawler setups were useless. Frantic, unconsidered balances changes don't make for a good game, they make for pissed-off customers; which is the reason many left.

If you want to go fast, high-energy VF-in-Gerwalk/Scopedogs-charging style combat, get a light or a clan medium. This game does it better than Hawken. If you want to engage in a Western-style walking tanks exchanging fire, this game still does it the best of anything on the market. You want it to suck because you don't like the people behind it or their decisionmaking, fine, I think PGI's probably a collection of entitled ****bags too.

But the problem is, that's not the game. The game doesn't suck. It never did. It's always been the best in class at giant robots. It remains so.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
my only complaint with mwo is that it took players away from mwll, which was orders of magnitude better.

well maybe thats not entirely true. i want more ****ing maps.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Parias

I want to like MWO (and I have had the occasional bout of fun with it), but my biggest problem is that we were initially teased with this, and then ultimately ended up with something that was a multiplayer team-deathmatch shooter.. and has stayed that way for years now.

Give me something with more gameplay than just running around shooting other Mechs. Even if it's still competitive, give me objective-driven team-vs-team missions with scripted events and changing gameplay dynamics. Give me the feel of a real combat zone, with vehicles and personnel having just as much a role as the mechs themselves. Give me some reason to get mentally invested in the gameplay, and not just play the same thing over and over again for the sake of grinding C-Bills. And for god's sake, do something with the broken monitors in my cockpit!

I know - Community Warfare is on the way, but from what they've announced so far, I don't really see that in itself improving things all that much.

my only complaint with mwo is that it took players away from mwll, which was orders of magnitude better.

well maybe thats not entirely true. i want more ****ing maps.

...Yeah. Long live MW:LL!

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I want a singleplayer campaign in the style of Mercs, but as more of a sandbox. As long as the game is basically Counterstrike, it's still boring.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Case in point right here. "The tabletop, maaaaaannnnn! It could have been like that!"

The dev crawl complaints are instead encouraging the devs to engage in vast overcorrective swings that brought us phantom heat and poptarting, that resulted back in the beta days in one day waking up and finding all your brawler setups were useless. Frantic, unconsidered balances changes don't make for a good game, they make for pissed-off customers; which is the reason many left.

If you want to go fast, high-energy VF-in-Gerwalk/Scopedogs-charging style combat, get a light or a clan medium. This game does it better than Hawken. If you want to engage in a Western-style walking tanks exchanging fire, this game still does it the best of anything on the market. You want it to suck because you don't like the people behind it or their decisionmaking, fine, I think PGI's probably a collection of entitled ****bags too.

But the problem is, that's not the game. The game doesn't suck. It never did. It's always been the best in class at giant robots. It remains so.
Dude, what the **** are you on about? I never played the MW tabletop in my life. What the game could have been is something more than a endless deathmatch and grind. PGI has done absolutely nothing to make themselves seem even remotely competent with the game. There is no 'case in point' anywhere because you are just putting words in my mouth, **** I never said. Quit that.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Aesaar

MechWarrior Living Legends is less like the tabletop than MWO, but it's a much, much better game, even despite the handicap of being a Crysis mod.

Perhaps you should stop assuming that the only reason people might dislike this game is because they're, as you put it, "neckbeards being neckbeards about 'the tabletop, man.'"

For the record, I've never played BT TT either.

I don't find MWO enjoyable because 12v12 deathmatches in closed arenas with no objective other than "kill the other team" just doesn't make for a very fun game in the long term.  Like Esarai, I could stomach it for a game or two at a time, but the lack of depth killed it completely.  I uninstalled it last summer and I haven't felt the need to go back.

The most annoying part is that the core combat is actually rather fun, but just shooting at enemies gets boring.  It's the same damn thing over and over and over again, and the games are too short and the maps too small to allow the development or application of meaningful strategies.  Better, more creative gamemodes would help immensely.  Longer, Battlefield-like conquest games (with respawns), some AI-controlled vehicles, attack/defend games, that sort of thing.  Basically, more Living Legends, less World of Tanks, which is a game I dislike for very similar reasons.

Although at least World of Tanks (and War Thunder) gives you a sense of progression which MWO quite simply does not have.

So sure, it's the best in class at giant robots among commercial games, but that's a bar that has been set very low indeed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:47:57 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
what? theres a board game?

*if you actually answered that, get your sarcasm detector fixed*
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, I should remind you that MW3 should have pretty much cured any "tabletop purists" in MW franchise. From what I've heard (haven't got around to trying it yet), it was a balancing disaster precisely because the devs pulled every stat off tabletop.

Not sure how TT & MW3 stats compare to each other, but a big problem in 3 was that shot leg = mech down. I think the cheesiest way to beat the game was to load your mech 4 ER Large Laser & nothing but heatsinks and snipe every legged vehicle in sight. PPC, Gauss & big-ass AC also worked rather well, if you knew how to handle them.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken